Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Autolocking doors (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/autolocking-doors-10356/)

klynch 10-06-2006 11:15 AM

Autolocking doors

My son missed the school bus this morning, so I drove him there. When he tried to get out of the car at his school, the doors were locked (transmission still in "drive"). I never noticed before that they do that above a certain speed (since the car is always in "park" when I get out).

Does anyone know how to cancel the autolocking feature?

Thanks!

skywagon 10-06-2006 11:47 AM

Re: Autolocking doors

Be a lot better to put it in Park, dissabling them is asking for trouble (hi-Jack at stop lite) as this a very popular car amongst the non desirables lol.

jbollt 10-06-2006 11:50 AM

Kevin, i believe there are instructions on how to change this in the owners manual , I know I did on mine...sorry don't have the manual handy to give you the instructions or the page number. You couldl ook on ToyotaIGuide.com for the instructions, the manual is there also.

klynch 10-09-2006 05:02 AM

Thanks Jeff,

We were away this weekend and I didn't get a chance to look it up, but I will this evening.

pajasper 10-09-2006 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by skywagon
Be a lot better to put it in Park, dissabling them is asking for trouble (hi-Jack at stop lite) as this a very popular car amongst the non desirables lol.

I'd agree that this is one safety feature you might not want to disable. But, you don't even need to put it in Park. Just use the door unlock buttons when stopped to let someone make a quick exit.

belbe 10-09-2006 07:32 AM

Was your son in the back seat or front seat? That could also be the difference, because I'm pretty sure that my husband has gotten out of the front passenger seat while the car was running and not in park...

Orcrone 10-09-2006 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by belbe
Was your son in the back seat or front seat? That could also be the difference, because I'm pretty sure that my husband has gotten out of the front passenger seat while the car was running and not in park...

In my car all doors stay locked (front and back) until placing the car in park or unlocking them manually.

jbollt 10-09-2006 08:50 AM

The state of the automatic locking or unlocking of the doors is definately a personal choice. I am glad that Toyota has given us the ability to make and impliment those personal choices. The way I see it, there is no right or wrong way, just personal preference.

klynch 10-09-2006 11:11 AM

My son was in the front seat and I think all doors (on mine) lock when the car is put in "Drive"--I never paid attention to it before.

schmidtj 10-09-2006 08:01 PM

You do realize the TCH is going to YELL at you for opening a door when NOT in Park. Audible alarm, warning on the MFD. Regardless of how you have the locking set (>16 mph versus not in park). Just put the **** thing in Park.