B gear....is it or is it not for using low gear on steep downhills?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: B gear....is it or is it not for using low gear on steep downhills?

Just remember that the B will slow the car without illuminating your brake lights, so don't use it if someone is tailing you too closely

Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Professional Hacker

Originally Posted by test54
w/o burning fuel?
Correct. The fuel and ignition are cut out, and the valve timing is changed to allow for more compression.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Veracitorian Muser

I've engaged it at 80 miles per hour without issue. The computer controls how much the engine revs, and the deceleration provided by B mode is nearly the same at any speed. That is, you will slow down in B if the accelerator pedal is up, and the slow down will be about the same from any speed. The engine rev up is very smooth, but it does seem to rev higher at very high drive speeds.

The only time I use B is when the battery is fully charged, or I know it will be by the bottom of the hill even using B mode. That would be something like a 6% grade dropping 2000-3000', unless the battery is already mostly charged. I usually start with the brake pedal, if only slightly, to ensure the people behind me know I am going to be slowing down.

-- Alan

Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used the B mode today on a mountain road with lots of turns, mostly down hill. I liked the added control I seemed to have over my speed.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 AM

Many months ago I had to go to Las Cruces. A good sized mountain you have to go over is located east of the city. Going over the pass at the top headed west toward the city. It's a straight run down the other side for a couple of miles. I slow to 40 mph then start down. I move the level to Brake as the car slowly speeds up. I get up to near 50 miles per hour then move it to drive. The grade levels some as I slightly ride the brakes to keep it around 55 to 60 miles per hour.

I noticed after I used the Brake position the battery shows full charge and was all white. I have also seen the scan gauge showing the engine running to also help slow the car once the battery was that full.

If in the brake position you can still use the accelerator. The car salesman during a demo ride warned me not to accelerate while in the Brake mode. I thought I read it can also use the physical brakes to help slow the car along with the generator.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-09-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 AM

I use it a fair of the time.
I'd be careful on a "mountain road with lots of turns". Yes, it gives much better control, but it also requires taking your hand off the wheel (possibly while on a curve) to disengage it. From my personal experience, this maneuver is a bit dangerous. I only use it on straightaways or when I feel that I will keep it engaged long enough to get to a straight patch of road.
Just my personal opinion.

Last edited by haroldo; 08-09-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why would you need to disengage it during a long downhill twisted road? It seems the car does the right thing even when you push on the gas.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Not sure, I never used he gas in B, I always disengage when I need to accelerate

Old 08-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
Coasting in 'B' mode spins the ICE (without burning any fuel) in order to apply engine braking. As such, it's wasteful. I'd advise as follows.
  • If gentle braking in 'D' will allow you to control the car's downhill speed, then use it as a first choice since it regenerates the excess energy into the NiMH battery — notice the arrow from the wheels to the battery — and doesn't wear the brake pads.
  • Once the NiMH battery is "full," regenerative braking must be stopped, and the brake pads will come into operation. This is a lossy process; you're now dumping the car's energy into heating the brakes, as well as wearing your brake pads away. Under these circumstances, it's better to use 'B,' and so dump the excess energy into spinning the ICE; it's also wasteful , but at least it doesn't wear your brake pads.
  • 'B' mode will also regeneratively charge a non-full NiMH battery at a higher rate than 'D' mode does
  • "higher rate"....NOT...!!
  • — that is, it will provide greater deceleration.
  • Agreed.
  • Note that you can control the amount of deceleration by modulating the accelerator while in 'B,' just as you can in 'D.' If you press the accelerator a bit more, electrical and/or ICE energy will start to flow to the wheels, and the car will behave just as it does in 'D.' It's only when coasting OR BRAKING in 'B' that the behavior is quite different from 'D.'
  • You can't damage the car by switching into 'B' at speed. There are no gears to be switched. It's only the control algorithm that is changed.
Stan
A good explanation for the use of "B" mode is that during "off-throttle" coasting or coastdowns or actual brake pedal application it will reduce the level of regenerative braking braking capability via using actual engine compression braking "instead", in conjunction with.

It will have no effect "on-throttle".

Last edited by wwest; 08-09-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Okay, just got back from using it going up to Tahoe. There were some 6 and 5 degree grades.

I used it whenever I saw a sign for trucks to use their low gear.

It worked really well and I did use the throttle with it since it truly slowed the car down and I didn't want to be a slow poke danger to others.

Loved it.

Last edited by Sky Blue; 08-09-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: B gear....is it or is it not for using low gear on steep downhills?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands