Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

I just installed the BEC106 on my 2009 TCH. Removal of the radio and console were easy thanks to Jbagri and others on this thread. Some additonal comments based on my experience:
When removing the radio, temporarily re-install the shift handle which acts as a soft stand while you are pulling the unit out of the dash.
Apply blue painters tape around the edges of the radio to help prevent nicks if the radio gets bumpted during removal.
I removed all the connectors behind the unit in order to maximize as much access to the R10 connector. They're mostly color coded and were fairly easy to remove and re-install.
I had no luck with the CD audio cable. Pins were too small so they didn't lock in, and, the wires were too soft.
Instead, I purchased a female DB25 connector kit from Radio shack. It includes the DB25 shell (not needed) and 25 female pin 'crimp' style connectors.
I also used telco wire which is stiffer and figured would help with the insertion into the R10.
I soldered the ends of the telco wires into each of 4 DB25 female pins.
Now the tricky part - make sure your solder joint is clean and minimal. Remove any blobs with a file. Further, the center of the DB25 pin has a small bulge and will not fit through the connector, that too will need to be filed down around all sides. I broke a number of pins in this attempt, but you have 25 chances to make it perfect. Take your time with this and be patient. You don't need to remove much - a millimeter or so will suffice.
I then soldered the telco wires to the BEC106 cable and applied wire tape.
During the insertion, I used a Sub-D insert/extract tool (also from Radio Shack) to help push the wire down into the connector.
I reconnected all the other cables and re-installed the radio. The camera came to life when I put the car in reverse. During this install I also installed an Ipod integration module. See the Ipod thread, works very nice as well.
Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I would not have attempted to do this otherwise.

Last edited by jeffgl21; 04-28-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Many accolades to Jagbagri for his directions. This made the installation by the shop here in Georgetown go very smoothly.

I do want to add that I've decided to go with the Boyo Vision VTL350 camera because of its 150 degree view, high color resolution and its strong night vision. With the dark tint on the back windows this is a great add on for safety. Here is the info link: http://boyovta.com/products/vtl350.html

The other reason I went with this camera was because I've got 4 cameras on my Chevy truck. If interested in that setup here is the link where I've posted that: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241261

I've now got the same camera on all vehicles/trailers and can't be happier about it.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow big thanks to jagbagri for all the pics and instructions, it made the install very easy! If anyone in the Dallas area wants to do this or add XM radio PM me and let me know I would be glad to help you are do the install, now that i have done it it would be easy to do it again!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

many thanks to all who have provided info in this thread. i have had the eclipse bec106 backup camera running flawlessly for 6 months without any issues. that being said, i would like your opinions/answers on the following:

i would like to install a dashboard camera and recorder so that i can have a video record of where i have been and how i got there.

yes, its ****; no, i am not a police wannabe. being disabled, living in crowded new jersey and going to and parking in nyc every 2 weeks for medical reasons, i have been involved in a few fender benders and/or incidents, where it has not been my fault; not 50%; not 10%; not 5%; totally zero liability. i dont know how much longer i can be so "lucky". i try to drive as safely and defensively as possible; stay right as much as i can, no jack rabbit starts; blend in with traffic; be as little a hindrance to other motorists; you get the picture. all to be as safe as possible and to maximize fe and to get where i am going in a timely fashion. safe and secure. hopefully, without incident. so far so good.

i have purchased and installed the following hardware: mini wireless dashboard camera; wireless quad processor (it accepts both wireless and/or wired feeds) to allow for up to 4 cameras on 1 video screen; going to a dvr which outputs to an sd card; ac/dc inverter. please, dont go into cost factors, reasons plus or minus why, copyright issues, public domain, etc. i just would like your answers to the following questions:

1 - is the 6v (pin24) always hot or is it just hot when in reverse?

2 - can i use the backup camera to provide a video feed for hard-wired input to the quad processor?

3 - if yes, and if i cut the output pin 24 wire and substitute it with the output from a 12v to 6v step down transformer which will provide power whenever the car is on and tap the video feed from the backup camera (pins 22 &23) into a bnc plug as input to the quad processor; will it work (in theory anyway)?

just to be more ****, i plan to use another camera to take video of the 2 scangauges that i have installed. this way i will have a record of my vehicular speed, front and rear planes of view, all on one video feed being recorded real-time. if there are no "incidents" on my previous trip, i delete the files.

your answers and comments (only positive) please!

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 05-15-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Has anyone succeeded in finding a source for that Toycam cable mentioned?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

THANKS for the guide.. Made my install pretty easy.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Made my install awesome!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by TXVTX
I've decided to go with the Boyo Vision VTL350 camera because of its 150 degree view, high color resolution and its strong night vision. With the dark tint on the back windows this is a great add on for safety. Here is the info link: http://boyovta.com/products/vtl350.html
I also went with the Boyo (VTL200). The camera is built in the plate holder and the total install took 2 1/4 hours. BTW the camera is on EBay for about $106.00 with shipping.

Thanks to a great forum and generous members!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've read all the threads about installing the backup camera. Seems fairly easy. However, no one has mentioned how hard it was to run the wire through the back of the dash. That seems like it might be kinda difficult to do. Also, the pieces you remove to get to the screws that hold the storage compartment in place, how do you remove those covers? I've got my camera ordered so hopefully I'll get it in a week or so. Thanks, Frank

Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by carolinacamry
I've read all the threads about installing the backup camera. Seems fairly easy. However, no one has mentioned how hard it was to run the wire through the back of the dash. That seems like it might be kinda difficult to do. Also, the pieces you remove to get to the screws that hold the storage compartment in place, how do you remove those covers? I've got my camera ordered so hopefully I'll get it in a week or so. Thanks, Frank
For the shift console, use this link (page 5). Taking the console apart takes about 2 minutes. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the dash vent out.
You run the cable under the door jambs (they just pull up) and up under the dash and enter the console from the bottom, side. Once you have it apart is is very easy to see. The entire job took me less than 2.5 hours. Print everything out to make it easier to see when you're doing the installation.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...08/index5.html

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands