Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Bluetooth Voice Recognition (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/bluetooth-voice-recognition-14933/)

rmorrow 08-17-2007 08:45 AM

Re: Bluetooth Voice Recognition

Here's the screen in question. It looks like it should do what you want.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...l_Settings.jpg

Roy 08-17-2007 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 139423)

Yup, that should do it!

Isn't cool that stuff can be found by the folks here and the service department is scratching their head. Actually thinking about it, it is pretty sad.

Many thanks for all your help!!!!

Roy

rmorrow 08-17-2007 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 139426)
Yup, that should do it!

Isn't cool that stuff can be found by the folks here and the service department is scratching their head. Actually thinking about it, it is pretty sad.

Many thanks for all your help!!!!

Roy

I think it's really pretty scary. I'm going to be bringing my car in for first oil service on Monday, and at the same time get them to fix a problem with the dealer-installed security system upgrade (glass breakage sensor doesn't work). I predict that they will try to tell me there's nothing wrong, and that I'll have to walk them through the test procedure in the manual to prove otherwise.

Roy 08-18-2007 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 139423)

Went to the dealer today and they truly didn't know about this menue. The scanner/laptop wouldn't let them into this menue via the port. Anyway we played and adjusted it for about 2 hours. No joy. We managed to get it better, but it is still inconsistant as heck. Probably about a 85% fail rate which makes it useless.
The dealer is going to contact the tech boys at Toyota and see what is up. Then comes the district guy. Should hear back next Tuesday.

Anybody have any other thoughts?

Again thanks folks for your help.

Roy 08-25-2007 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 139578)
Went to the dealer today and they truly didn't know about this menue. The scanner/laptop wouldn't let them into this menue via the port. Anyway we played and adjusted it for about 2 hours. No joy. We managed to get it better, but it is still inconsistant as heck. Probably about a 85% fail rate which makes it useless.
The dealer is going to contact the tech boys at Toyota and see what is up. Then comes the district guy. Should hear back next Tuesday.

Anybody have any other thoughts?

Again thanks folks for your help.

Well, the Toyota tech line could not provide any solution. Now, the dealer has to call the west coast, further up the pecking order I guess. Should have a answer in a about a week.

This has been going on since June, it is starting to get old. I shudder to think if the problem was more involved than a mic.

Again anybody have any thoughts? 'Cause Toyota sure doesn't.

usajar 08-25-2007 07:45 PM

I too have had issues with the BlueTooth. Many complaints from folks who could not hear me talk. I entered the diagnostic menu as described in above links. After hitting the menu tab, I changed the sending sensitivity tab to "3". The receiving tab is set at "0" I have had the current settings for a few months, and it has helped quite a bit. There are times and certain areas I do not like the Bluetooth link. However, with good reception on your cell phone the 3 setting seems to work for me.

Roy 08-25-2007 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by usajar (Post 140497)
I too have had issues with the BlueTooth. Many complaints from folks who could not hear me talk. I entered the diagnostic menu as described in above links. After hitting the menu tab, I changed the sending sensitivity tab to "3". The receiving tab is set at "0" I have had the current settings for a few months, and it has helped quite a bit. There are times and certain areas I do not like the Bluetooth link. However, with good reception on your cell phone the 3 setting seems to work for me.

The problem is not with others hearing me. That works just fine. Well as long as the car is motionless. When moving with any background noise the system will not respond to commands. It will perform wrong commands or repeat and dial wrong phone numbers. All combinations of setting has been tried by both myself and the Toyota people to no avail.

jay_man2 08-26-2007 05:14 AM

I found in my RX 330 and in the Camry that the system responds better to higher frequency voices. I have a deep bass voice, and the system rarely gets anything correct. When I speak in a higher tone, mimicking a female voice, the accuracy improves. But it's still overall so bad that I gave up.

If you really need voice dial, sign up for it through your cell carrier, and with a Camry with the NAV system you put the voice dial number into the first speed dial button. That's what I did with both Sprint and AT&T, and it works fine.

You pre-populate a contact list on a web site for the most used numbers, pre-program *8 or *08 into the first speed dial button, then you're good to go. As you're driving along, hit the telephone button on the steering wheel, hit the speed dial button, the system responds with a greeting, the you say "call Bill Smith at work" or "call 8885551212." I found that both the Sprint and AT&T systems work fine. At the AT&T system, if you say "call 8885551212" will ask you if you want to put that number into the systems contact list, so the next time you could say "call Mom on the cell phone."

I don't know if you have any ability to program speed dial buttons with a non-NAV system, but with the NAV setup, this is a very workable solution.

Roy 08-26-2007 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jay_man2 (Post 140531)
I found in my RX 330 and in the Camry that the system responds better to higher frequency voices. I have a deep bass voice, and the system rarely gets anything correct. When I speak in a higher tone, mimicking a female voice, the accuracy improves. But it's still overall so bad that I gave up.

If you really need voice dial, sign up for it through your cell carrier, and with a Camry with the NAV system you put the voice dial number into the first speed dial button. That's what I did with both Sprint and AT&T, and it works fine.

You pre-populate a contact list on a web site for the most used numbers, pre-program *8 or *08 into the first speed dial button, then you're good to go. As you're driving along, hit the telephone button on the steering wheel, hit the speed dial button, the system responds with a greeting, the you say "call Bill Smith at work" or "call 8885551212." I found that both the Sprint and AT&T systems work fine. At the AT&T system, if you say "call 8885551212" will ask you if you want to put that number into the systems contact list, so the next time you could say "call Mom on the cell phone."

I don't know if you have any ability to program speed dial buttons with a non-NAV system, but with the NAV setup, this is a very workable solution.

That may solve the problems with the bluetooth, thanks much for the suggestion. But it won't help the commands to the nav.