Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
Ok so here is the next question about this...lets just say we hang on to the 07 TCH until we HAVE to sell via her company rules...that is 90k miles and less than a year away. At that point I figure we will still owe $13000 on the car. Will we be able to sell an loaded 07 TCH for ~$15k-$18K with 90k on the clock in March-April of 09? More than that?
90K on the clock is going to get you a real low $ amount due to the complex nature of this car. At 90K it will need a lot of TLC to keep it going and people in the know realize this. Good luck!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Just for referance here's what 07's went for at the auctions.

08/01/08MANHEIMLease$25,00022,708AvgGREY4
08/01/08MANHEIMFactory$24,000996AvgBLUE6
08/01/08MANHEIMRegular$23,00035,920BelowRED
07/25/08MANHEIMRegular$28,20023,820AboveSILVER
07/25/08MANHEIMRegular$24,40027,752AvgSILVER
07/25/08MANHEIMRegular$24,00029,533AvgWHITE
07/23/08MILWAUKELease$24,00040,010AvgTTANM
07/11/08NEVADARegular$26,00026,268AboveBLUE6

Old 08-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
Ok here is the deal...my wife is a Pharma rep and drives a ton...we got the first 2007 TCH that arrived in our town back in June of 2006. Since then she has put >70,000 trouble free miles on the car...but we are getting to the point where more miles will harm resale and at 90,000 she has to get a new car by company rules.

So we are looking at new cars and of course the 09 TCH is on the list...but should it be? The car is now rated at 33/34 rather than the 40/38 the 07 was...is this simply the new EPA rating or is there a functional difference? We have averaged nearly 37 mpg in the 70k we have driven and recently that number has been higher. We want those kinds of numbers not 34 mpg highway.

Dealer says there are no deals...Toyota is cutting back TCH production so that they can allocate the batteries to the Prius production line...so less cars equals we pay sticker...they also lowballed us on a trade in so I am thinking of going to a different dealer.

Talk to me...are we back to paying sticker for the TCH?

Any insight here would be great. Thanks
Sounds like a nobrainer to me.....shop around for the best price on a new TCH with everything you want. With the best price in hand, order the car. I am sure the car will arrive before you get to 90,000 on your 2007 model. I would get a trade in price on the 07 and know exactly how much the new car will cost, or you can sell the 07 yourself and take that chance. JMHO.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
Based on the fact that the '09 TCH is exactly the same as the '07........and 07's are selling at or near new prices for '09's from what i have been reading.....
I refuse to believe that.
I know that people can ask the same price, but are they selling?
I'd like to see results of sales... they're not paying that amount according to eBay motors (you may need to log in to see the results), nor from post #12 above.
What person in their right mind would pay the same price for a two year old car as a new one sells for?
I don't trust (lazy) news reporters who simply go to kbb.com and look up 'value'.
Value is what someone is paying for the car, not a web site's guesswork.
These reporters are the same folk who quoted the hybrid differential at $6000.

Last edited by haroldo; 08-02-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I agree with Haraldo. I have a real hard time believing that anyone would buy a used hybrid for the same price as a new one. That just flat out does not compute. Sure........there may be people that have paid more than a new one but when people get desperate, they will do most anything to have a hybrid no matter the cost when they want it! Especially when gas hits all time highs of over $4/gal.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 AM

I'll bet some of those statistics that are mentioned are either not current (reporting of a 2007 being sold as a used car during 2007), or extremely low mileage (dealership selling the test model with 3000, or so, miles) being recorded as a resale or not on an apples to apples basis (a fully loaded version compared to a new model without NAV, etc.).
Mainly, I think it's the urban legend phenomenon. Someone probably listed their used car for full price and now everyone's been passing on the information, quoting it or mentioning it and everyone is taking it as fact.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have sold my 07 TCH couple of months ago for $25600. It had only 28000 miles, so still under warranty in the SF Bay area.
I installed the backup camera my self which cost me only $179.00
(here is the link to that post: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ictures-11672/ )
I also installed the Hi-Def. bright white lights myself. All this fetched me about $1000 extra on top of the going market price, and made my car stand out in the lot for buyers (I sold it withing one week of advertising in craigslist). I don't beleive for a movement that you can sell for anywhere close to $27000 or $28000 although you can definately get more if you sell it yourself rather than trade-in with the dealer. Just do your homework.

PS: I'm opting to wait another year or two to get my next hybrid or electric as there are so my changes happening right now in the industry so hoping to get the next generation of this technology, somehting better is bound to come than the current hybrid of first gen.
Meantime got a cheap used, still good fuel effecient reliable used car to last me two or three years.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
What person in their right mind would pay the same price for a two year old car as a new one sells for?.

Would it be that surprising to find someone willing to pay the difference to get a used hybrid minus the multi-month wait of a new one? When I took delivery of my TCH last week I was told the waiting list at that dealership was pretty much written out for the rest of the year. Not that it's wise mind you, but plenty of people have a "want it NOW" mentality.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MalkavianX
Would it be that surprising to find someone willing to pay the difference to get a used hybrid minus the multi-month wait of a new one?... but plenty of people have a "want it NOW" mentality.
Yes, someone might pay that price for a nearly new model, but probably not for a 50M+ mile two year old car (as was the original point of this thread)
Originally Posted by flopshot
.. I'm considering selling my 07TCH with 51k miles because the asking price for cars in that condition are close to $30k. That is over the MSRP of a new 09TCH!...

Last edited by haroldo; 08-06-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by MalkavianX
Would it be that surprising to find someone willing to pay the difference to get a used hybrid minus the multi-month wait of a new one? When I took delivery of my TCH last week I was told the waiting list at that dealership was pretty much written out for the rest of the year. Not that it's wise mind you, but plenty of people have a "want it NOW" mentality.
I think the stats don't tell the whole story.
I just purchased an 07' with believe it or not 2,250 miles on it. I bought it through a friend as a fleet car first registered about 18 mo. ago, that was not really put into service. Loaded with everything but XM (option C) blue ribbon metallic/spoiler and in perfect shape. I paid 26K with 4 brand new tires.
The dealers were getting about 3-4 K over asking for the TCH. They are getting $5K over sticker for the Prius and loading every available dealer option. (22" spinners on a Prius?)
The dealers in SoCal have a 6 month waiting list for the Prius (since that gets all the press). Gas has just come down to about $4.12 but at $4.65 everyone with SUVs were freaking out. I retired my 99 Expedition that got 14.6 MPG. When you put in $100.00 worth of gas and do not fill it up you look more seriously higher prices than normal. If you are in need of a car right now then the decisions are tougher.
I have looked at many TCHs on eBay and many of them are salvage titles going for well below blue book. Like me I think most people would rather had the manufacturer behind them.
If you live in other areas then the cost might not make sense but in SoCal the higher prices frequently can and do prevail. With the TCH production being cut back to allow more Prius production you may see the used prices hold or escalate.

Quick Reply: Buy an 09 TCH? Selling an 07 TCH...what are your thoughts

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands