Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

You should be glad that you do not live in Canada! Up here the navigation system does not include the energy screens, is just as poor when it comes to giving directions and is a C$3,000 option by the time you've included the taxes! The only redeeming factor is that it is a dealer installed option which after several months of complaining to Toyota I was able to get removed and the original radio reinstalled! They gave me a full refund. I now have a, Garmin portable NUVI unit that comes with maps for North America (Canada and US) plus most of Europe. I was also able to buy maps for Mexico (which they do not consider to be part of North America).
Another advantage of the Garmin unit apart from its far greater accuracy and more up-to-date database is that annual updates cost about $75 instead of the several hundred dollars that Toyota charges.
I agree a larger screen would be nice but this is compensated for by voice announcement of the street names, instead of just telling you to TURN LEFT it also adds the name of the street. This is very helpful when the streets are close together.
I have also found the ideal location for the unit is on top of the Toyota supplied ashtray unit that fits into one of the cup holders. The only exposed wiring is a short run to the hole in the side of the consul to connect to the forward power adapter.
The NUVI also has Bluetooth and I've set it up to recognise my phone and the wife's phone is tied to the cars Bluetooth system. This avoids having to keep switching phones which is required if both phones are tied to the car system, this was necessary before because both my wife and I drive the same car but each have our own phomes.

Last edited by Paulgw; 07-05-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Perhaps I am drinking too much Toyota Kool Aid, but I like the Nav system.

I had a problem where the thing would route me on slow streets at times when I wished to by-pass an area all together. Once I figured out how to go and change the speeds for given routes, that has gone away.

Maybe the reason I don't mind the system is that I deliberately disabled the voice guidance. I can't stand having people tell me which way to turn and am certainly not going to listen to a woman I don't even know do it. I have a wife to tell me "where to go"!

bigsk8r

Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by delao13
You can fast forward within a song. You have to use the buttons on the radio itself, NOT the steering wheel. I use it all the time for my audiobooks.
I think that this only applies if you do not have the nav. Please confirm if you are able. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I just finished installing a backup camera. ....
Do that on your portable NAV system!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Sippin' the Kool-aid....

I'm feeling a bit better as I get to know the quirks of the NAV and the CD system.

I've found that you can FF within a song by holding down on the forward button ON THE RADIO. You change CD's by holding down the forward button ON THE WHEEL. Thanks for the tip!

I also went into town on a freeway for the first time today. I liked how the screen split and showed you the upcoming exits. Portable unit could not do that.

I also found that the NAV girl pronounced some of the roads names for me. My cheap portable unit could not do that as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I thought the Toyota system does not have Text-To-Speech

Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

1- I can't find a way to randomly play across folders. This means I'm going to have to re-burn all my MP3 CD's to be all in the same folder. Also, next time I power on, the setting is lost.
You can play randomly across folders by holding down the random key for a few seconds instead of just pressing it. It will then skip around the folders on one disk. It will not skip over multiple disks. And like you said, when you skip forward it will skip to the next track in that directory. Once that song plays it will go back to random. Very annoying!

Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
Perhaps I am drinking too much Toyota Kool Aid, but I like the Nav system.

I had a problem where the thing would route me on slow streets at times when I wished to by-pass an area all together. Once I figured out how to go and change the speeds for given routes, that has gone away.

Maybe the reason I don't mind the system is that I deliberately disabled the voice guidance. I can't stand having people tell me which way to turn and am certainly not going to listen to a woman I don't even know do it. I have a wife to tell me "where to go"!

bigsk8r

I agree with you. I really enjoy the TCH Nav system. I also have a Magellan 700 and there was no difference in routing on my last road trip to CA. You have to setup you Nav. system prior to just jumping in the car and driving. How many of you read the manual prior to testing it you? This will really help.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenkobra
How many of you read the manual prior to testing it you? This will really help.
Reading the manual is not going to add places to the map or the POI database that are not there.

Reading the manual is not going to add the energy screens that are not available on Canadian Nav systems.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
I thought the Toyota system does not have Text-To-Speech
The Toyota NAV will announce some streets ie "I 70"
It does not announce every street name but the graphics on the split screen more than make up for that. It really helps the driver see what lane they need to be in to prepare for the upcoming turn.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse: Navigation System/4CD Changer

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands