CAMRY and HYBRID badge removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: CAMRY and HYBRID badge removal

The badges on my TCH stay put.
In the case of an accident I believe the first responders deserve the indication that the car is a hybrid and MAY need special handling. It's the least I can do.
J

Old 08-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

SV-
Roger that re: Lexus emblem. Yes, I thought I noticed some difference to your website vs. when I had poked through it in the past.
Nice touch with the letter of acclaim on homepage.

Agreed on the hybrid badges, Schmitty.

I WILL be removing the rear camry badge, however.

Last edited by Eskimonio; 08-12-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
The badges on my TCH stay put.
In the case of an accident I believe the first responders deserve the indication that the car is a hybrid and MAY need special handling. It's the least I can do.
J
I understand all this concern about first responders, wouldn't they figure it out right away anyway, I assume they are more trained than to look for a badge as some vehicles are more obvious than others with badges?

Old 08-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Keith,

I punched around your PBase images...very nice pictures...you have quite an eye.

Also, since pics of Titanium Metallic CMHys are so rare, it was good to see what my car will look like minus the spoiler. Looks like that location is a favored spot for you to take pictures of your vehicles over the years.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:34 AM

Thanks, you'll enjoy the Titanium is is a nice colr, especially in the right light the metallic has a nice look.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:58 PM

As a firemedic I agree. It is nice to know what you're getting into. My FD is well-trained to handle hybrids (though, unfortunately, not all are) and won't be scared off by a HSD tag.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by kluken
I understand all this concern about first responders, wouldn't they figure it out right away anyway, I assume they are more trained than to look for a badge as some vehicles are more obvious than others with badges?
Not always. We look to see if a vehicel is secure and can be safey entered but to expect us to tear apart a hood or trunk could be unrealistic. Some hrbrids, such as the highlander, Civic or Camry really do look the same as a regular one to the untrained eye.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:25 PM

So I'll ask the dumb question, what is it that the Hybrids pose as a risk, is it strictly the higher voltages present? I woudl assume the Hybrid manufacturers build some sore of saftey mechanisms into the vehicles?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by kluken
So I'll ask the dumb question, what is it that the Hybrids pose as a risk, is it strictly the higher voltages present? I would assume the Hybrid manufacturers build some sore of saftey mechanisms into the vehicles?
Really, nothing. Unless one was to somehow cut through the orange cables with extrication tools or crack open a battery pack, which is nearly impossible to do short of running it over with a train or something, there isn't really a whole lot to be alarmed about with hybrids. Toyota builds a fail-safe into their vehicles that cuts the power to the high voltage lines in the event of a major impact (airbags deployed?) but the lines can stay hot for several minutes. If there was significant front-end damage I suppose the cables could possibly be exposed and pose a risk but really thats about it. I think its kind of funny that a certain equipment manufacturer has recently released a set of special, insulated Jaws of Life just for hybrids. They're really not necessary, however, and just a gimmick to play on fears of electrocution. I haven't seen much from Honda though Toyota has done an excellent job in my area of getting materials out to departments and educating rescuers.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by medicmike
Really, nothing...
Which is exactly why Toyota publishes a 11+ page document for first responders on how to deal with their hybrids.
It presupposes that the owner has not taken overt action to mask the fact the car is a hybrid. eg. Removing identifying emblems.
J

Last edited by schmidtj; 08-14-2006 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: CAMRY and HYBRID badge removal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands