Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Camry Hybrid CAN id for gas pedal position. (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/camry-hybrid-can-id-gas-pedal-position-18877/)

Dan 07-03-2008 10:58 AM

Camry Hybrid CAN id for gas pedal position.

Camry Hybrid Gas Pedal Position

For a generic scan tool, look for CAN id 0x244 floating on the bus. When you find it byte 8 will contain 0x00 to 0xC8. This value varies linearly with the position of the gas pedal.

Only scan tool I own has it's own proprietary formating... here's what I put in to see it on mine.
TXD: 024C
RXF: 010282440000
RXD: 4008
MTH: 000A00020000
NAM: gps

swhoutx035 07-03-2008 12:01 PM

Re: Camry Hybrid CAN id for gas pedal position.

Hi Dan. English translation?

haroldo 07-03-2008 12:58 PM

Hi Dan. English translation?
Wow, I thought I was the only one confused. Thanks for making me feel less stupid!

Dan 07-03-2008 02:57 PM

Sorry guys... wasn't trying to be obtuse. All the Toyota HSD vehicles communicate engine and hybrid data over a data bus called CAN-bus. There is gobs of work that has been done on the Prius to decode all the CAN traffic and some of it can be lifted wholesale for the Camry...

Most of the readers are commercial, so I don't want to pedal warez, but I thought that the data might be of interest to some.

Dan 07-03-2008 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 179095)
Sorry guys... wasn't trying to be obtuse. All the Toyota HSD vehicles communicate engine and hybrid data over a data bus called CAN-bus. There is gobs of work that has been done on the Prius to decode all the CAN traffic and some of it can be lifted wholesale for the Camry... Here's the body of research on the Prius.

Most of the readers are commercial, so I don't want to pedal warez, but I thought that the data might be of interest to some.

I have found some open source ones. There out there with a bit of digging.

Dan 07-03-2008 03:14 PM

Here's an example of one of the CAN products that would be neat to port to the Camry if it could be done for free ;)

Originally Posted by silvertch (Post 146544)
I sold my prius in exchange for a 2007 TCH and i now have a canview for sale...it has all the necessary wires to plug it in and it is for the models that have navigation...no reasonable offer will be entertained.

FastMover 07-03-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 179095)
... Most of the readers are commercial, so I don't want to pedal warez, but I thought that the data might be of interest to some. ...

It is, and I am already using it -- sort of. As you know the pedal position, coupled to the mode, is critical to casting in and out of EV mode in the 0-42 mph range.

I have developed a little box that reads byte 8 of label 244 and comverts it to a 0-50mv analog signal. I have that wired to a standaard 50mv meter movement at the moment, but want to eventually run the digital value into an LED display of some sort.

Right now, I am trying to find out if it is only a pedal position that causes an ICE start or if it is related to a calculated torque demand as well.

Dan 07-03-2008 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by FastMover (Post 179115)
Right now, I am trying to find out if it is only a pedal position that causes an ICE start or if it is related to a calculated torque demand as well.

I suspect it's AMP draw from the pack. That's the way some of the other HSD cars make this decision. Under most cases with a battery in the blue-bar range, the ICE-light threshold seems just shy of 20% pedal depression. If I ever get a hankering to Pulse and Glide to get the numbers up, I pluse at 32% depression and glide at 7% depression. The CAN traffic goes from 0-200, so pulse at 0x20 and glide 0x0E if your reading the raw traffic from the CAN bus.

mfsandli 07-03-2008 08:32 PM

[quote=Dan;179127]I suspect it's AMP draw from the pack. That's the way some of the other HSD cars make this decision. Under most cases with a battery in the blue-bar range, the ICE-light threshold seems just shy of 20% pedal depression. If I ever get a hankering to Pulse and Glide to get the numbers up, I pluse at 32% depression and glide at 7% depression. The CAN traffic goes from 0-200, so pulse at 0x20 and glide 0x0E if your reading the raw traffic from the CAN bus.

...Welcome to the TCH Forum...

Dan 07-03-2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by mfsandli (Post 179191)
...Welcome to the TCH Forum...

My apologies. I have been mainly active on the Prius Forums for the last few years, and came back to GH when I got my MMH and TCH. All my posts are signed "11011011" so I should be easy to spot. The TCH is a loaner for about 3 weeks, so I'm trying to see what I can squeeze out of it.

Bit about me... My name really is Dan... I wanted a Prius since 2005, and finally got one in Jan 07. I talked my Wife into a MMH in Nov 07, but couldn't talk her into the TCH I'm afraid. I got TCH my on Jul 1st 08, and gave my Prius to a buddy up at work. I'll probably have to give the TCH back by August, and will need to pry the key's to my Prius from my bud at work.

I'm a self proclaimed MPG nut, but will try to keep that stuff to a minimum. I only brought up P&G since I was asked directly (well ok... kinda sideways) :zip: .

Driving a Prius a MMH and a TCH, is kinda interesting. The MMH and TCH are both 2.4L 4cyl drives. There performance is very similar, although the MMH being higher certainly can't handle like a TCH. I think the fuel economy between the two is (in many cases) gonna be too close to call. Much of what I know about the Prius translates to the TCH. What I learned from the MMH is very applicable as well.

Anyway... I don't know if there is much interest in bit-banging on the TCH, but it's what originally got me lusting after the Prius. A car you can Hack... That's when I knew I needed one.

Nice to be here, and I'll try to keep my soap-box securely stowed and out of reach ;)