Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Camry hybrid coolant system change (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/camry-hybrid-coolant-system-change-28565/)

GeorgiaHybrid 02-03-2013 08:42 PM

Camry hybrid coolant system change

8 Attachment(s)
For those with access to a Toyota scanner or an aftermarket (I use Snap-on) or if your friendly neighborhood tech (we called ourselves mechanics in my day...) has a pro level scanner, this is an easy project that will take 30 to 45 minutes.

Attachment 2631

Start off by removing the coolant tank cap under the hood.

Attachment 2632

The drain plug is noted here looking underneath the car. Drain the coolant into a bucket and make sure you capture all of it. It needs to be measured later.

Attachment 2633

Like the transaxle, use a 10mm hex bit socket to remove this plug and if you have one of your new spare 18mm crush washers from the transaxle change, you can use it here. Once drained, replace and torque this fill plug to 29 ft-lbs. Don't forget your new crush washer....

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/Hybrid04.jpg

As noted above, pour the coolant you removed above into a clean container and mark the level on the side. Pour the used coolant onto your disposal container and fill to the mark you made with new, Toyota super long life coolant (pink). Pour as much of this as you can into the coolant tank under the hood. The system will gurgle and burp while you are doing this as it gets rid of some air.

Attachment 2634

You will now need a bi-directional scanner hooked up. The picture above is the Hybrid System options for a Snap-on Modis (other scanners will be similar). Select "Actuator Tests"

Attachment 2635

Select "Water Pump (OFF/ON"

Attachment 2636

With "YES" highlighted, press select on the scanner to start the pump. Add coolant while the pump is running and purging the air from the system. This will only take 60 seconds or so and you can listen to the sound of the pump to know when the air is purged.

Attachment 2637

Move the cursor to highlight "OFF", press select and exit your scanner.

Attachment 2638

Back under the hood, top off the tank and replace the cap. You have now changed the hybrid invertor coolant.

Total cost was $21.81 plus tax for a gallon of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (with coolant left over) and 30 to 45 minutes of time. If you don't have a scanner, ask your local tech to do this for you. He might charge you $50 +/- to run the pump actuator test.

ptung07 05-03-2013 09:18 AM

Re: Camry hybrid coolant system change

Thanks for the writeup, GeorgiaHybrid! I was able to change my inverter coolant without problems.
By the way, I used this cable to run the inverter pump:

http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/mini-...able-2442.html

The cable paid for itself off and in addition, I was able to turn off that annoying seatbelt chime.

GeorgiaHybrid 05-04-2013 08:04 AM

Modifying BCM options is the main reason I am on the hunt for a Techstream. I have been waiting for the aftermarket scanners to do that but so far, nothing.....

lincolnshibuya 05-04-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ptung07 (Post 248110)
Thanks for the writeup, GeorgiaHybrid! I was able to change my inverter coolant without problems.
By the way, I used this cable to run the inverter pump:

http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/mini-...able-2442.html

The cable paid for itself off and in addition, I was able to turn off that annoying seatbelt chime.

Did you buy the license key for the techstream software or is it free (the downloadable version)?

ptung07 05-04-2013 09:07 AM

I am not sure whether it is "legally" free or not, but it the techstream software IS included with the cable. The cable is shipped from china and took about 10 days to get here (Kansas City) but everything needed to diagnose/change settings in your toyota is included!

On that link above, click on it, then click on "tech support" and it even includes the link to download the software too. (the CD included with the package is one of those mini CDs that will get stuck in a laptop slot loading DVD drive)

lincolnshibuya 05-05-2013 08:48 PM

sweet deal! Thanks for the link.
Which part of KC do you commute? I live close to KCI airport and work downtown. I might probably have seen you driving around (lots of TCH now in Kansas City)

ptung07 05-06-2013 12:07 PM

Nice! I live around the city market area and go to school at UMKC's hospital hill campus.
Aren't you glad that the broadway bridge is now open again? Yet 6 months later...downtown is a mess again with all of the highway closures!!

vtmon 09-03-2013 05:24 PM

After draining the inverter cooling system and refilling it again, why can't I run the water pump by starting the engine, instead of using Techstream? From what I read, the pump will stop after 5 seconds if there isn't enough coolant. What is the danger of filling the inverter coolant system, running the engine, refilling again, and restarting the car again. It seems as though you are achieving the same result, which is turning on the water pump to get rid of any pocket air in your inverter cooling system.

GeorgiaHybrid 09-04-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by vtmon (Post 249593)
After draining the inverter cooling system and refilling it again, why can't I run the water pump by starting the engine, instead of using Techstream? From what I read, the pump will stop after 5 seconds if there isn't enough coolant. What is the danger of filling the inverter coolant system, running the engine, refilling again, and restarting the car again. It seems as though you are achieving the same result, which is turning on the water pump to get rid of any pocket air in your inverter cooling system.

If the engine is running, the inverter is powering the systems in the car. If you have any air bubbles inside the converter, you have the potential for a hot spot and a burned up inverter. It's not worth the chance for that happening from my viewpoint but each of us has a different risk level we are willing to take.

The odds are, nothing will happen. With me however, I find that Murphy's Law has an optimistic view on life......It WILL go wrong, each and every time.... I happen to have the equipment at my home garage, I enjoy working on my cars so they never get worked on anyplace else and I am very anal about the way things are done.

vtmon 09-04-2013 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Georgia, thanks for your reply. You seem very knowledgeable, and I was wondering if you or anyone else can help me out.

My 07 TCH has 165,000 miles on it, and I noticed that the inverter coolant is leaking. Please see picture.

Do you think I can just drain the inverter coolant, open up that plate, and reseal it? What is behind that plate that is leaking out inverter coolant? What do you recommend that I should do?

TIA.

GeorgiaHybrid 09-04-2013 06:34 PM

I haven't taken that cover plate off before but can't imagine it is much more than an assembly access cover. If it were me, I would drain the coolant and loosen the bolts enough (1/8" or so) and gently tap on the cover with a soft face hammer to break it loose.

Once that is done, it would be a matter of backing off the bolts (a little at a time) enough to see if the cover is holding something in or is just for access. I'm fairly certain that it is just a cover that can be pulled, cleaned and another bead of RTV added to it before bolting back into place.

After that, just fill it up and breath a sigh of relief....

coolrizTCH11 03-04-2014 03:52 AM

Hey Georgiahybrid. My TCH has 146k miles. I was checking the hybrid coolant level and see that it has dropped below low, cold morning before starting engine. Is it ok just to add more fluid or would you recommend a fluid change?
If changing the fluid do I pour in exact same amount that came out or I should pour until I reach Max limit?
The coolant being low, does it indicate that anything else has to be checked?

GeorgiaHybrid 03-04-2014 09:17 AM

The converter coolant is a closed system. If yours is low, that means it is going somewhere it shouldn't be (unless you have coolant stealing tweekers around your area). You need to find out where the leak is, fix that and change the coolant. As far as the level goes, make sure you add at least as much as what came out and (because of your leak) add enough to take it up to the flange of the reservoir similar to the last picture in the "how to".

coolrizTCH11 03-04-2014 10:03 AM

Do you have a diagram of how the coolant flows, and how I can test it if there are leaks?

GeorgiaHybrid 03-04-2014 08:40 PM

Take a look at the photos on the bottom of the first page of this thread. It is very obvious when you have a leak but you might need to look under and between components to see them. I use a video camera with a long flex head to help and if it is not obvious, try to find someone with an inspection camera that can help.

One thing that is cheap and easy if you plan on working on your car is to get a subscription to either Mitchel or All Data on the net for a single car subscription. I use AllDataDIY for our family cars and they are a complete, factory manual that is worth every penny of the cost the first time you use it.

That will show the entire cooling system for the invertor and will help you look for potential leaks.

srivenkat 04-16-2014 03:16 PM

Thanks for the DIY procedure for the inverter coolant change. One question is if the car should be off like I gathered from subsequent discussion, is the pump run using the 12V battery in the trunk?

GeorgiaHybrid 04-16-2014 08:35 PM

You will need a bi-directional scan tool of some sort to power up the pump. The car is turned on by pushing the start button WITHOUT pressing the brake (Accessory mode) and the scanner is attached to the OBDII port and then the water pump is run using the 12 volt battery by the ECU

2009TCH 04-20-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid (Post 252226)
You will need a bi-directional scan tool of some sort to power up the pump. The car is turned on by pushing the start button WITHOUT pressing the brake (Accessory mode) and the scanner is attached to the OBDII port and then the water pump is run using the 12 volt battery by the ECU

Can this be done by using the NAV (MFD) screen for those who have the XLS model, by putting the car into diagnostic mode?

GeorgiaHybrid 04-20-2015 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2009TCH (Post 256292)
Can this be done by using the NAV (MFD) screen for those who have the XLS model, by putting the car into diagnostic mode?

I never have tried turning on the pump that way, have always used a scanner. I would look it up but I am in Manila right now and don't have the best of internet connections. Go ahead and try the maintenance mode BEFORE you do the change to make sure you can.

Any3681 07-22-2015 07:40 PM

Can I do this without a scanner. Can I flush the coolant for inverter from the bottom fill up the reservoir and then put the car in fwd maintnce mode because the pump alway works when in that mode. I have seen someone on YouTube do that with Prius. Also u did coolant flush for radiator and now I have over heating issue can anyone help me. Tested thermostat was good. Burb the system put in fwd m mode and ran the water pump . When I drive the cAr it over heats when its idling it's ok

GeorgiaHybrid 07-23-2015 10:50 AM

Two things, when you did the coolant change on the engine, did you run the heater on high? That will burp most of the air out of that area in the cooling system. I also use a vacuum assist to put coolant into the engine but even then, you need to add coolant until the radiator is full and then fill the coolant tank to the proper level. Follow the directions in the water pump thread to put the car into maintenance mode and make SURE you have all of the air out of the system.

Did you replace the belt at the same time? You also need to make sure you didn't disconnect the cooling fans while working on the pump.

As far as the hybrid drive cooling system goes, there are people that have changed the coolant without a scan tool. I would not recommend doing it that way however as you can screw up some very expensive hardware in a hurry if anything goes wrong.

123Stephen321 08-03-2015 06:37 PM

On my Camry...I would've changed the fluid without the scan tool until I took the hybrid class at De Anza. Ignorance is bliss, and will cause you to be stranded on the side of the road.

Feebz13 03-05-2016 10:06 AM

Thanks georgiahybrid. Just did this on my 2007 TCH. Very easy job with a scan tool.

I was at 155,000 km (~100,000 miles). The canadian maintenance guide suggests doing this at 128,000 km.

For those of you with the techstream running the water pump is quite easy.
Follow georgiahybrid's suggestion and in techstrem go to the hybrid system. Here, there's an active test menu. You can toggle the waterpump from this menu.
Cost of fluid and crush washer was $25 will fluid leftover!

Any3681 06-17-2016 12:38 PM

I did inverter coolant flush on Camry hybrid with tech stream software that came with in a cd with the dongle from Amazon. I was able to turn on the inverter pump on and off to purge air bubbles cable cost 20$ Was tricky to install on Windows 10 found post on the Internet to install on x64 system. Georgia thanks for your help with my coolant flush and your directions

Trini 03-27-2017 08:31 AM

Do you by any chance still have that info on installing on windows 10 ? Thanks:)

EZDoesit 09-29-2017 03:49 PM

I have the same problem. What should we do? Can someone help please?

EZDoesit 10-23-2017 05:25 PM

Just did the water pump and the inverter coolant drain last weekend. Car has 144,000 km.

The inverter coolant cover plate was leaking due to gasket deterioration. Why do they even have a plate when there is a drain plug? Design flaw.
Below comment is for the inverter fill procedure:.

Very straight forward. Techstream NOT REQUIRED. The system has a safety build in.
As soon as you start the engine, pump turns on automatically as part of safety check circuit.
If coolant is low, pump will shut down automatically before major component burn out.

Here we go.....EZ Does it.

1) Make sure drain plug is installed and tight.
2) Top up the coolant to full mark. Leave cap open with funnel ready to fill in step 4)
3) Start the car - Depress brake and push "Start". Should see "Ready" status. Pump will automatically sucks down the coolant.
4) Move quickly to fill the coolant as the level drops. Fill to "Max" and let it cycle for 3-5 mins.
5) Once no more bubble is seen. Top up to "Max"
6) Push "Start" to shut down engine.

You're done. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Any3681 01-01-2018 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
you can buy techstream off ebay or amazon with dongle and run on laptop i used it to do inverter coolant flush.

Luisg47 01-12-2018 09:27 AM

So I'm new to the forum, I've been researching how to change this coolant and aside from this thread I've come up empty handed. Has anyone been 100% successful doing this WITHOUT the bidirectional code reader? I can't find anyone in my area who will even touch the cars inverter cooling system aside from Toyota themselves, and they want over 150$ for the job. Do you guys know of an alternate way to run the pump or if the system will truly purge itself (as one person has mentioned above) I'd really appreciate it.

Any3681 01-12-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Luisg47 (Post 264600)
So I'm new to the forum, I've been researching how to change this coolant and aside from this thread I've come up empty handed. Has anyone been 100% successful doing this WITHOUT the bidirectional code reader? I can't find anyone in my area who will even touch the cars inverter cooling system aside from Toyota themselves, and they want over 150$ for the job. Do you guys know of an alternate way to run the pump or if the system will truly purge itself (as one person has mentioned above) I'd really appreciate it.

I m sorry I have not tried it but you can get the tool off Ebay dongle with the cd has techstream and you can do it that way like I did I was easy to purge the system with techstream it won’t cost more than 20 bucks for the tool

Luisg47 01-12-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Any3681 (Post 264603)
I m sorry I have not tried it but you can get the tool off Ebay dongle with the cd has techstream and you can do it that way like I did I was easy to purge the system with techstream it won’t cost more than 20 bucks for the tool

Does anyone have an accurate link to this tool/cable/CD
Idk what a dongle is....and I'm getting mixed good results LOL

Any3681 01-12-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Luisg47 (Post 264604)
Does anyone have an accurate link to this tool/cable/CD
Idk what a dongle is....and I'm getting mixed good results LOL

Yongpeng Yao 04-27-2019 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's 2007 to 2012 model cooling system pdf file.

Yongpeng Yao 04-27-2019 12:01 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...85204731d7.jpg

Tristan Oberg 11-10-2019 09:30 PM

Hey, I have a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid and I'm about to reach 150,000 miles, I plan on doing the inverter coolant drain and refill myself. Do you think you can link me to an affordable scan tool to turn the pump on while the car is in accessory mode to bleed out the air bubbles. I was looking at this scan tool but I'm not sure if it would be able to perform these functions.

alpha_1976 01-02-2020 10:55 AM

Can anyone confirm if this scanner will be able to do run this or not:

https://www.harborfreight.com/ZR-PRO...ner-64576.html

It's Zurich ZR PRO.

Thanks