Camry steering sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry steering sensitivity

The TCH's steering, like the accelerator, requires a light touch.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grubbab
Is there a way to change the sensitivity of the 2012 Camry steering?... Can the software be improved and updated?
The 2013 Avalon Hybrid offers a three way setting; ECO, Normal, Sport. Following is how the Sport setting is described:

"The SPORT Mode provides increased acceleration responses though altered engine control unit (ECU) programming, and it offers a more direct and responsive EPS programming to enhance steering feel."

This suggests to me that the sensitivity is software controlled. You may want to ask your Toyota dealer if there is an update to the firmware to change the sensitivity.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

I did check with the dealer. I was told there is no adjustment for the steering. So the Camry gets very little use. Quote from my 12 year old: "Can someone explain the logic of buying a car that gets good gas mileage if you never drive it?"

Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grubbab
I did check with the dealer. I was told there is no adjustment for the steering. So the Camry gets very little use. Quote from my 12 year old: "Can someone explain the logic of buying a car that gets good gas mileage if you never drive it?"
I'm hoping to hear from you after a realignment to see if that cures your steering problem.

EPS. All new Camry models will be the first to feature Toyota’s latest electric power steering (EPS) control system, which will offer more flexibility to steering-feel tuning. The system regulates power-assist response based on vehicle speed, and for the first time steering-input rate. The vehicle-speed sensing feature will provide light effort during low speeds, changing to moderate effort during higher speeds. The SE grade will feature a power-assist ratio that provides a more sporty feeling than the LE and XLE.
Also, electricity is only consumed when assist power is necessary, helping to improve fuel economy. Electric power steering is also more environment-friendly, as it does not require hydraulic fluid.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry steering sensitivity-2012 XLE hybrid

I had the car aligned yesterday. It turns out the caster angle is not adjustable, so I focused on the toe in.

The range is + or - 0.13 degrees (+ is pointing inward). Initially, the left tire was at -0.16, and the right at 0.01, for a total toe-out of -0.15.

I had them set the front tires both to 0.06 degrees, for a total toe-in of 0.12.

What a huge difference. I am thrilled with the results. I drove the car 80 miles on the interstate between 75 and 80. The unstable feeling is gone. I could not detect any effect on fuel mileage. The Goodyear rep said he did not think this level of toe in would affect tire life significantly.

Thanks to all who assisted.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM

I stopped in at our local toyota dealer to have the alignment done. I have a favorite master mechanic I like to do my work. I was informed he no longer does the alignments, but another tech does and he was busy for the rest of the evening.

The certified hybrid tech I like took my car back and using a laptop computer changed my doors to all open when it senses the key bob. He also told me they now have a new Hoffman laser alignment machine that's faster and more accurate than the old machine used at the old location.

When he brought my car back we talked about 5 minutes. He is very knowledgeable about the engine details and hybrid improvements on the '12 TCH.

He also pointed out where the water pump motor is located and inches across from it is the smaller power control unit pump motor. You can see it under the fender well reservoir.

While there I did get to sit in a 2013 Avalon which they had just pulled into the showroom. They said, that's their first '13 car so far this year. A young saleslady said, the Avalon may be available in a hybrid next year.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM

All-Wheel Alignment update..

I complained to our local toyota dealer about my '12 TCH tendency to drift slightly right and left when driving straight at highway speeds. I also mentioned the steering being way to sensitive over the '07 TCH I had traded in.

I was told I had to call a day in advance for an appointment. I called a week later as were were really busy the week I first stopped by.

The toyota dealer here had a brand new 2-story Toyota dealership building with all of the latest equipment including the new Hoffman Laser alignment machine.

I ask as I used to work in a Chevy shop on carburetors and was going to a GM auto transmission school at night when I was young. They let me watch if I didn't get in the way. I found a stack of truck tires to sit on as the tech mounted the dot screens on each wheel.

Reading from the before and after alignment printout, the front toe read -0.10 just on the right front wheel. The left read 0.00 as it should and stayed that way so the steering wheel remained straight. Little did I know this correction to 0.00 on the right wheel would fix my slightly drifting steering problem.

The worker said the rear end was also out on toe. I was surprised to hear this. The left rear read 0.05" where specs show 0.30" which is were he adjusted it too. The right rear also read that same 0.05" and was reset to the correct 0.30". The rear limits is 0.015" to 0.45" which averages 0.30".

I was really worried my car being out of alignment that much, the right front wheel and both rears out of limits.

Evidently the touch up alignment on the right front cured the slight drifting when driving at highway speeds. Also the wheel is not as sensitive and it was and now drives easily down the highway. The rear wheel alignment seems to help the car coast farther to red lights.

Here is a picture with the dot screen mounted on the rear wheel.

MeahanicShopfromtheFuture014.jpg

The 2 lasers with the dark ends of the wide metal bar in the upper part of the picture.

MeahanicShopfromtheFuture005.jpg

Closeup shot of the Hoffman adjustment screen showing a overall alignment view.

MeahanicShopfromtheFuture016.jpg

Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

I want one of those for Hanukkah!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 AM
Enthusiast

I was wondering about this! Had the car a month and did a 1000km round trip a couple of weeks ago so have done a fair bit of driving. The steering is no doubt more sensitive than any car with vacuum based power steering that I have driven before. Have pretty much gotten used to it now but it is very sensitive to tiny changes.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have to admit I find my TCH more difficult to steer at highway speeds than any other car I've owned. With my hands in the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position, the car handles OK, but if I try to steer at highway speeds with my left hand in the 8 o'clock position and my elbow resting on the ledge with the door handle -- which rightly or wrongly is how I often drive on lightly travelled interstates -- the car wants to wander. I'm not sure it is just a matter of sensitive steering. On my prior cars, if you released the steering wheel, it would return to straight-ahead position on its own. This preferred position was quite narrow and deep. With my TCH, it seems much broader. In fact, on many gentle curves, I find I can steer the car into the curve, release the wheel, and the car will continue to track the curve.

I'm not sure why Toyota designed the TCH this way. (Any ideas? Better rolling resistance? A side effect of the EPS?) However, steering the TCH at highway speeds is a significantly more demanding task than what I am used to, at least for me.

Quick Reply: Camry steering sensitivity

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands