Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Canada Camry Hybrid Extended Warranty (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/canada-camry-hybrid-extended-warranty-8783/)

keithet 07-25-2006 08:19 AM

Canada Camry Hybrid Extended Warranty

I may have posted before but I can't find the post so here goes again. Sorry if this is a repeat.
I am purchasing a Camry Hybrid due to be delivered in a couple of weeks (If it wasn't on the ship that foundered in the Gulf of Alaska!). The extended warranty here in Canada for the 84mo 120km version is about $2,000 CAD IN Virginia, a dealer offers the genuine Toyota Platinum warranty (about the same mileage) for about $900 USD which is a huge saving. Toyota USA and the Virginia dealer say that the warranty from them is valid in Canada. Toyota Canada says otherwise. They say if I get a warranty from Toyota USA, I will have to go to THAT dealer to get warranty service if it is needed. In fact they state that even if I get the Camry in Canada and the warranty in Canada and then move back to the USA, the Toyota warranty would not be valid. :(

Has anyone had experience with buying a car in one country (say Canada) and getting a factory warranty from another country (say the USA)? Both car AND warranty being from a Toyota dealer??

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Orcrone 07-25-2006 08:40 AM

Re: Canada Camry Hybrid Extended Warranty

I think the Canada dealer is giving you a bunch of BS, at least on one point; having to take the car back to the US dealer. A US purchased extended warranty should be good at least through the US, not just at one dealership.

I would suggest asking the VA dealership to send you a copy of the warranty and read it thoroughly. It's probably there in black and white. It may also have a number you can call and ask this question. But I'd be inclined to go with the fine print. I've gotten plenty of wrong answers from customer reps before.

Droid13 07-25-2006 11:08 AM

Re: Canada Camry Hybrid Extended Warranty

Yea, I was thinking about the same thing. The 84mo / 120K warranty was the one I was looking at too, but it was just too darn expensive. I didn't go for it but I have the option to buy it withing the factory warranty period for a $200 penalty. I decided to just keep tuned to how TCHs behave over the next 3 yrs, mine especially and see if their reliability is good.

I believe what Toyota Canada has started to do to prevent Canadians from buying up cheap warranties in the US, if you have a warranty purchased in the US you are asked to prove US residency then they will honour the warranty. Probably they'd just look at the license plates...