In case you ever wondered....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default In case you ever wondered....

How the Camry Hybrid would handle a rear end collision...

Well, it happened on the freeway today. Typical Houston traffic slowed down for no apparent reason and the driver behind me either was not paying attention or his brakes just sucked. I saw him coming and couldn't get out of the way (I was in the center lane). I'm sure he hit me at around 25 to 30 mph and it felt a lot worse than it looks.

On a side note, this car has BAD *** brakes. Maybe a little too good, lol. I'm just glad I had enough distance between myself and the car in front to avoid getting sandwiched between the two.

Here are some pics. I was expecting a lot worse. Initial estimates are around $1800 to repair it. I'll see what ALLSTATE has to say tomorrow morning.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: In case you ever wondered....

I'm impressed with so little damage done to the car. Glad to see you are OK.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to see that damage, but glad to here you were not hurt.

Your car is the one I will be ordering next Feb.

I hope it will not be long before it is fixed, thanks for the photo's.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

My TCH is a twin to yours. Though the damage looks not too bad, the energy absorbers are most likely crushed and will cost more than you think to replace. Are you able to open and close the trunk like before?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some people have foreign cars and don't ever use the emergency brake. On the ones I know about by using the emergency brake is that it also adjusts the rear brakes.

Most GM cars that I had owned in the past depends on you backing up and stopping. That's the way GM adjust up the rear brakes.

If you want to test your emergency brake on any car. While sitting still, put on the emergency brake. The brake should be full on with half the movement of the lever or foot peddle. If not start using your emergency brake every time you park. If not your main brake peddle will be closer to the floor and your loosing lots of your stopping power.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-25-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Jimmy,

The TCH has disk brakes all around. They self adjust.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:52 AM

I found this in some other forms using google.

Your parking brake is a set of drum brakes inside the hub of your rear rotors. You adjust them similarly to normal drum brakes.

I always do my own brake work. I did not keep the 2006 Ford 500 long enough to replace its rear pads. I'm hoping the brakes on this '07 TCH hold up till I trade it in a few years. Actually I'm getting a little old to mess with any dual rear braking system other than maybe pad replacements.

I found a detailed drawing of the of the rear pads below including the smaller drum brake used for the emergency brake. When new their manually adjusted like any drum brake. I have no idea if these adjust with the emergency brake. I know the pads adjust when using the main brakes.

see thumbnail:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
emer brake shoes.JPG (114.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast

I was rear ended on the Indiana Toll Road a couple of months ago. There was $526 damage. It didn't even look damaged, except where a bolt pushed the bumper cover out. The other driver got out of the car and said his brakes weren't very good. And all I thought was "Why the F#$% were you tailgating me???"

Old 11-26-2008, 06:13 AM

I had a '91 and later a '96 Chevy Cavalier. Neither of the cars stopped very well after about 35,000 miles. I replaced the shoes on the '91 but after 30K or so they just did not stop like other cars I had owned.

My theory on the Cavaliers was that the drums were not the size or width to stop a car that size. The best brakes on any car I ever owned, was my '81 VW diesel rabbit. That car was easy to stop. Small shoes but they were really thick. The car's weight was only about 1750 pounds. Not doubt that was a big part of it.

I don't drive very fast in the TCH and use causal braking. So I don't know how well it stops in a quick stop. I'm sure it's braking is adequate.

No doubt the tailgater you mentioned should have had his brakes checked out if they were the least bit weak. Especially in any freeway traffic.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-26-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast

I had same thing two weeks ago, check the bottom of your trunk where the spare tire sits...
However I had also very little damage

Quick Reply: In case you ever wondered....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands