Center console

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM
RWH
Enthusiast
Default Center console

Has anyone changed the "Black Hole" on the center console of the TCH with one (I believe it is a second cup holder) from the SE or XLE? If so where did you get the part and what was the part #? I have called a several local Toyota dealers and each one gives me a different part name and price ranging from $80-150.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Center console

This black hole has bugged me from day 1, and I've only see one post on the threads about it. It's especially bad in the Ash grey leather. It looks like hell and is a major oversight on a $30K car! I like having the cubby hole and the power outlet, but it needs a &%*$# cover!
I have been highly frustrated in trying to find an option for getting it covered.
My dealer told me that the SE/XLE lids would not fit my console.
I went out on the lot and compared them side by side and they do not appear to be the same shape. Also the other lids are hinged and the TCH has not mechanism to accept this. I thought it might be possible to buy the whole little box with lid, but since it's not the same shape, I don't think this would work, and I don't want to tackle the job/expense of replacing the whole *&$%# console.
I bought a naugehyde (sp?) remnant at the fabric store that is a pretty good color match, but have not made a lid yet.
I also explored the dash covers/appliques on ebay, as some of them showed a cover for this box, but none were available only in the lid. Had to buy the whole set, which I don't want.
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Driving in stealth mode

I was curious about this too but never pushed the issue. The only resolution I found on it was to replace the whole console and it doesn't bother me that bad.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast

It's nice to see some others are on the same path as I was! I was lucky enough to have a SE as a service rental and took off the center console... The accessory box and cup holder are direct fits into the Hybrid console. Unfortunately the only way to buy these pieces is to purchase an entire center console assembly from your local dealership or try to find a SE at your local salvage yard. I have not had any lucky finding a slavage console and do not want to spend the $150+ for a new one, but I will let everyone know here if I do.

While you are at it, think about replacing the armrest with the sliding model from the XLE. All you have to do is pull the rear vent and remove two bolts. Again, getting the correct part is the difficult thing.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aka Bitter
While you are at it, think about replacing the armrest with the sliding model from the XLE. All you have to do is pull the rear vent and remove two bolts. Again, getting the correct part is the difficult thing.
I did that two years ago and posted the pictures here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/br...imageuser=5138

BTW: at least on the 07, it is four screws and not two bolts to remove the armrest.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't mind the black space. I can put my Treo, a pair of reading glasses and a few other items there. It's always in use in my car.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I don't mind the black space. I can put my Treo, a pair of reading glasses and a few other items there. It's always in use in my car.
+1

Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john312
I did that two years ago and posted the pictures here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/br...imageuser=5138

BTW: at least on the 07, it is four screws and not two bolts to remove the armrest.

Thanks for the pictures. So, how many parts did you need to buy, and at what cost, and how did you obtain them?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Thanks for the pictures. So, how many parts did you need to buy, and at what cost, and how did you obtain them?
One part. The XLE armrest (ash, non-leather) and if I remember correctly it was just over $200 at my dealer's parts department. You can probably get it for about $150 online.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john312
One part. The XLE armrest (ash, non-leather) and if I remember correctly it was just over $200 at my dealer's parts department. You can probably get it for about $150 online.
Thanks, John, and you were correct: online for $158. Mine is leather, however, and that's about $20 more, and it does not look like the hinge and slider assembly is available separately. Did it appear to you that the hinge and slider assembly would have worked with your original standard armrest lid ?

Jack

Quick Reply: Center console

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands