Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   check engine after engine oil change (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/check-engine-after-engine-oil-change-28885/)

mercynight 06-09-2013 10:37 AM

check engine after engine oil change

Hi everybody ,
I own TCH 2008 for 3 years now i was using 10_40 engine oil since here in jordan the dealers recommends us to do so and wasn't facing any problems yesterday i changed the oil to 5-20 oil and the oil filter every thing was ok for 24 hours after that check engine sign lights up and never went off i've measered oil level it was ok but did not what caused it.

Any help really appreciated

GeorgiaHybrid 06-09-2013 01:43 PM

Re: check engine after engine oil change

Is it a check engine or a maintenance required light? Just changing the oil shouldn't have set the check engine light.

If you do have a check engine light, have you read the codes to give you (and us) an idea?

ukrkoz 06-09-2013 08:07 PM

10W40? Seriously? It's too heavy even for a pickup truck.
But yes, do what Georgia asked you to. May be something unrelated, things happen.

GeorgiaHybrid 06-10-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz (Post 248554)
10W40? Seriously? It's too heavy even for a pickup truck.
But yes, do what Georgia asked you to. May be something unrelated, things happen.

He is based in Jordan. Other than North America and parts of Asia where Toyota uses 5W-20 or 0W-20 (ILSAC GF5 specs) to increase mileage, Toyota manuals in Europe and the middle east have 5W-30 or 10W-30 (ACEA A5/B5 specs) for the same engines that we run. In extreme heat, the use of a 10W-40 is not uncommon in a lot of cars.

I run Mobil 1 racing oil (in 15W-50 grade) in my older cars as the phosphorus and zinc content is too low in newer oils to keep the camshafts and lifters lubed properly and in high heat/hard running conditions, you need a thicker oil to keep them lubed. Those two additives have been reduced in newer oils due to them causing damage to catalytic convertors (not a problem with my 64 and 65 models...)

As a side note, Mobil 1 0W-20 and 5W-20 will meet GF5 specs but do not meet the more demanding A5/B5 specs. It takes a thicker oil to pass the wear tests....

mercynight 06-10-2013 10:23 PM

Dears,
yesterday i went to maintenance shop and they told me that my injectors need to be cleaned i've done so and till now check engine sign is off i hope to remain so.

Thanks

GeorgiaHybrid 06-11-2013 06:29 PM

Let us know how everything works out in the long run.

ukrkoz 06-16-2013 06:02 PM

mercynight, if available, make sure to run a bottle of injector cleaner once or twice a year through the gas tank. Have no idea what is available in Jordan. I use Seafoam or STP product.

ukrkoz 06-16-2013 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid (Post 248565)
He is based in Jordan. Other than North America and parts of Asia where Toyota uses 5W-20 or 0W-20 (ILSAC GF5 specs) to increase mileage, Toyota manuals in Europe and the middle east have 5W-30 or 10W-30 (ACEA A5/B5 specs) for the same engines that we run. In extreme heat, the use of a 10W-40 is not uncommon in a lot of cars.

I run Mobil 1 racing oil (in 15W-50 grade) in my older cars as the phosphorus and zinc content is too low in newer oils to keep the camshafts and lifters lubed properly and in high heat/hard running conditions, you need a thicker oil to keep them lubed. Those two additives have been reduced in newer oils due to them causing damage to catalytic convertors (not a problem with my 64 and 65 models...)

As a side note, Mobil 1 0W-20 and 5W-20 will meet GF5 specs but do not meet the more demanding A5/B5 specs. It takes a thicker oil to pass the wear tests....

Thank you. Still sound scary. It's truck oil.