Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Considering NAV vs no NAV (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/considering-nav-vs-no-nav-11883/)

mikieboyblue 01-18-2007 06:09 AM

Considering NAV vs no NAV

I am considering getting the standard JBL system with no NAV. It appears to be the exact same just not NAV ability. Does anyone know if that is true? Also, if you do NOT get the NAV, can you added in a NAV later (reader dash mounted or replace the JBL with a NAV stereo)?

Also, the options packages that are "available" in each area seem to have changed. The leather package includes the JBL NAV and a preferred package. Did anyone purchase their TCH and "pick and choose" options vs going with a package?

Thanks,
Mike

meerkat 01-18-2007 06:26 AM

Re: Considering NAV vs no NAV

For what its worth.... I figured since I was buying a brand new car (and paying a premium for the HYBRID feature) then I shold get some decent bells and whistles along with it. I moved from an older ('97) LEXUS LS400 into this and they are a close fit. The added "goodies" only enhance the resale later on and factroy NAVs are a bigger draw in the value. I plan on keeping this car for a while and since I do not know what lays in lifes road ahead - the extras make it worth the added expense, and does not impact the payment amount by much.

On the flip side the NAV is a perk. Although I am familiar with where I live, I know that I could travel anywhere and have a perfect map route at my fingertips. A cheap portable NAV runs around $200 but then the moutns, battery, case, etc adds more to it.

My thoughts - if spending some decent coin on a new vehicle (that you intend to keep for a good while) then get the added value of the factory add-ons and enjoy the equity they build into the car.

Hope this helps.

tnsig 01-18-2007 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 107333)
For what its worth.... I figured since I was buying a brand new car (and paying a premium for the HYBRID feature) then I shold get some decent bells and whistles along with it. I moved from an older ('97) LEXUS LS400 into this and they are a close fit. The added "goodies" only enhance the resale later on and factroy NAVs are a bigger draw in the value. I plan on keeping this car for a while and since I do not know what lays in lifes road ahead - the extras make it worth the added expense, and does not impact the payment amount by much.

On the flip side the NAV is a perk. Although I am familiar with where I live, I know that I could travel anywhere and have a perfect map route at my fingertips. A cheap portable NAV runs around $200 but then the moutns, battery, case, etc adds more to it.

My thoughts - if spending some decent coin on a new vehicle (that you intend to keep for a good while) then get the added value of the factory add-ons and enjoy the equity they build into the car.

Hope this helps.

I agree...go with the Nav. Also with the Nav you have the ability to control stereo funtions and bluetooth funtions through it. You also get a mileage consumption screen (I think that's what it's called) when you have the Nav.

I factory ordered mine and had the ability to pick and choose options.

Bigsk8r 01-18-2007 07:14 AM

As a regional salesman, I have no idea what I would do without the Nav. The cool thing is that even when I am not doing sales stuff, the Nav still gives me time left to destination, points of interest, and also allows you to see the minute by minute Energy & Consumption screens.

ag4ever 01-18-2007 07:15 AM

Upon resale, you WILL NOT get your money back on the NAV.

I have it for one reason, I wanted the additional consumption screen, and it has helped me learn how to drive the car for better mileage.

Now that I have the NAV, I find myself using it more to find better more direct routes that I might not have taken (evene in areas that I am very familiar with).

I am sure you can add the NAV latter on, but if you want the factory NAV with consumption screen, it is best to get it from the factory that way. it has been a crap shoot as to whether the post production installs can activate the function. if you go with an after market one, then the steering wheel controls might not work, and there will not ba a consumption screen.

I did not buy the nav looking for better resale, but for my personal use.

Clubford00 01-18-2007 07:31 AM

I feel that its not worth spending the extra $$$ on an in car Nav when there are so many dash top models out there. Im on my 3 different one in the past 6 years. I love the fact that i can move it from car to car (rentals while on vacation) and also if it ever has a problem i dont lose my car for 4 days while the dealership is fixing it. Also why pay for it for 4 or five years?? Just my 2 C. Dean

tnsig 01-18-2007 07:34 AM

I ordered my TCH with Nav because my wife always complains when I bring my laptop and use it as a NAV. However I will admit that it's a pain to lug the laptop around and it does get in the way sometimes. You've got to set it up and then take it down. My laptop also doesn't have touch screen capabilities. I can't wait to finally have a built in Nav:D

mikieboyblue 01-18-2007 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and honest opinions.

Does anyone know if the JBL system without NAV is the same as the JBL system with NAV (minus the NAV of course)?

nash 01-18-2007 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 107368)
Thanks for all the great replies and honest opinions.

Does anyone know if the JBL system without NAV is the same as the JBL system with NAV (minus the NAV of course)?

I believe the only significant differences are:

Nav holds 4 CDs and displays FM station RDS info and bluetooth controls

Without Nav holds 6 CDs and no RDS station info or bluetooth controls.

Both use the same JBL 440 watt amp and speaker system.

vioarc 01-18-2007 10:28 AM

I got the non-nav on the recommendation of a friend:
Nav Con: hand-held unit technology will upgrade several times during life of the car
~~~~~~~
On the Nav Pro side: Having the large screen allows for future video cable plug-in for rear view camera.