Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Did that give a date for the rating?

From Consumer Reports, regarding ALL makes/models for 2007:
"The 2007 models were generally less than six months old at the time of the survey, with an average of about 3,000 miles."

I was invited to respond to this survey about 6 months ago and submitted my response immediately. Since I had owned my car for a year at that point in time (11,000 miles), I'd say that they have better data than their statement suggests (hopefully) since there were a lot of people purchasing when I did.

PS. All of my submitted ratings were excellent, except for "squeaks and rattles".

Last edited by andrewbmoore; 10-17-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added my personal rating.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrewbmoore
From Consumer Reports, regarding ALL makes/models for 2007:
"The 2007 models were generally less than six months old at the time of the survey, with an average of about 3,000 miles."

I was invited to respond to this survey about 6 months ago and submitted my response immediately. Since I had owned my car for a year at that point in time (11,000 miles), I'd say that they have better data than their statement suggests (hopefully) since there were a lot of people purchasing when I did.

PS. All of my submitted ratings were excellent, except for "squeaks and rattles".
Great! Thank.

I also wonder if they look at TSBs. I do not know how many there usually are for a model but it does seem like there are a lot for the Camry.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM
joe540ci

I see Consumer Reports reliability slip !

Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast deluxe

Although I can praise consumer reports for their efforts, I can also say i've been burned a few times as well (both with cars and other items). My family were long term subscribers (1984-2005) but I found that all too often, I disagreed with their ratings, or ended up with something that was unrelaible, poor performing, or simply a piece of junk. I have come to rely more on C-Net, i like the real opinions from users.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VBsportbiker
Although I can praise consumer reports for their efforts, I can also say i've been burned a few times as well (both with cars and other items). My family were long term subscribers (1984-2005) but I found that all too often, I disagreed with their ratings, or ended up with something that was unrelaible, poor performing, or simply a piece of junk. I have come to rely more on C-Net, i like the real opinions from users.
I agree. But in all honesty, I take all ratings, comments, and reviews with a grain of salt. Many of them (if not all) are tainted.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

I can understand the value in real-world customer experience. That is precisely the value of this forum. And CNet's posted user reviews, etc.

That said, I have great respect for Consumer Reports testing methodolgy.

In this case - reliability - CU needs long-term data on as many cars as possible. Hence, the reliability report is a customer survey. No doubt statistically analysed and normalized.

Anyway, I understand that the transmission problem with the V6 Camry was rough shifting through 2nd gear, that Toyota already had implemented a fix. It was a hardware problem with the transmission design. I understand that the problem with the AWD Tundra also affects the Lexus sedan, and that Toyota as yet does not have a general solution. But they stand by thier warranty.

As far as environmental groups complaining about Toyota - topic for another thread. I think it's another ploy to grab attention at the expense of integrity. Phooey.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by boydwaters
I understand that the problem with the AWD Tundra also affects the Lexus sedan, and that Toyota as yet does not have a general solution. But they stand by thier warranty.
What is an AWD Tundra?

I have a 4wd tundra, but that is not the same as AWD. I have to turn a dial on the dash to get 4wd, and you should not drive on hard surfaces in 4wd.

And, how does the drive train on the tundra have anything to do with a lexus sedan?

There are no common components between the two.

The 4.7 engine might be the only common item, but most Tundras have the new 5.7. In addition, the 4.7 has not had any problems in the new tundra, wereas the 5.7 has had some issues with the cams and transmissions.

But my 2007 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4X4 Limited has not given me a lick of trouble.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Agforever writes:The 4.7 engine might be the only common item, but most Tundras have the new 5.7. In addition, the 4.7 has not had any problems in the new tundra, wereas the 5.7 has had some issues with the cams and transmissions.

But my 2007 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4X4 Limited has not given me a lick of trouble.

Got the same engine 4.7 in my Lexus Gx470 and the fuel milage sucks big time lol Just about need to buy by the tanker load.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Less than 2 months of ownership, I have 6 wheel allignments on my THC. The car still dont drive straight. 2007 XLE had same problem, but it was fixed, and I dont want to go to the transmission issue again, oh yes, XLE had its main ECU failed only after 300 miles!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:05 PM
joe540ci

What is you vin #

ote=crasher;147780]Less than 2 months of ownership, I have 6 wheel allignments on my THC. The car still dont drive straight. 2007 XLE had same problem, but it was fixed, and I dont want to go to the transmission issue again, oh yes, XLE had its main ECU failed only after 300 miles![/quote]

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports sees Toyota reliability slip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands