Dealer push-back on requested Tire Pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer push-back on requested Tire Pressure.

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Forget the dealer. Get a $29.95 portable compressor for your trunk and keep your tires at the level you want. That's what I did. Dealer deflates them to 32 PSI at oil change, I just re-fill them back to 50 the next morning.

No worries !!!
50 PSI WOW

Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You'd be surpirsed at how non-intrusive the extra PSI feels. It's not noticable to me at all, and my kids don't notice either. We usually stay on pretty good roads, so we don't have a lot of potholes or "jarring" incidents which would feel worse with the higher PSI.

All I expect to see is higher MPG. So far this tank is 41.4 after 370 miles, and my overall average for the car is about 36.7 up to now. I also have benefitted from cooler weather lately and have not had to run the A/C as much, which has helped the MPG too.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

lars-ss.. How is it that you feel comfortable with 50psi when the manufacturers maximum pressure on my Michelin tires is 44 psi?.. Isn't this a risk to you and your family as pressure expands after driving?.. Just curious.. To each his own, however, I felt that my 36 was going far enough.
Thanks

Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 AM

First, I've got 51 PSI on my tires listed as the max PSI.

My use of overinflation is a personal decision, based on advice from the World's Greatest Hypermiler and based on experience of 24,000 miles in my 2004 HCH at overinflation on those tires also. ( I also overinflate my Segway tires by the way!)

Anyone who overinflates should do their homework and evaluate the pros and cons themselves. To me, the cons are negligible, and increased risk of danger is not involved in that 95% of my driving is done at 45 MPH and below.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

tars get hot pressure goes up, may actually be looking at 53-54 in real life. MHO is it must ride like a lumber wagon lol

Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Actually, it rides fine. It soaked up the extra pressure like a champ. The 50 PSI had less of an effect on the ride than did running high PSI on my 2004 HCH.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
What do they do if people come in and say less oil will get me better fuel efficiency? Do they leave out a quart because someone asks them to? I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to set the car to Toyota's specs. It's easy enough to go to the gas station and put a little more air in yourself.
Yes. They do leave out the oil. Because, yes it does in some cases. And if you are never driving your engine hard it doesn't realy hurt it.

I know of someone that regularly gets his oil changed at the dealer. He supplies is own oil and ask for the empty bottles plus remainder of the last bottle back to ensure they put in the right amount.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:03 AM

I run 60psi in my tires. You have more chance of a blowout at 5psi under recomended pressure vs the 11psi over I'm running.

I saw an interview of Pat Goss(I think thats his name. The mechanic on motorweek. He spouted the same FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) about over inflation of tires. The problem is that he was wrong. I don't say this because I think I know better than him. I say this because I have personaly talked to engineers that design these tires.

His information was correct 40 years ago, but tire technology has changed since then.

There are drawbacks to overinflation, but a lot of the negatives that get mentioned aren't true.

Harsh ride is one of the valid complaints. If you have a bumpy road, you are going to feel it if you go up to high. On good roads the car handles well and drives smoth. If you increase up a few lbs at a time you will find where you are comfortable and can stay there and get the car tuned to your preferences.

The tire will not blow just because it says "max COLD sidwall pressure" The blow out pressure is a tad higher, and by that I mean over 3digits.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 AM
We have an Accord!

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I run 60psi in my tires. You have more chance of a blowout at 5psi under recomended pressure vs the 11psi over I'm running.

I saw an interview of Pat Goss(I think thats his name. The mechanic on motorweek. He spouted the same FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) about over inflation of tires. The problem is that he was wrong. I don't say this because I think I know better than him. I say this because I have personaly talked to engineers that design these tires.

His information was correct 40 years ago, but tire technology has changed since then.

There are drawbacks to overinflation, but a lot of the negatives that get mentioned aren't true.

Harsh ride is one of the valid complaints. If you have a bumpy road, you are going to feel it if you go up to high. On good roads the car handles well and drives smoth. If you increase up a few lbs at a time you will find where you are comfortable and can stay there and get the car tuned to your preferences.

The tire will not blow just because it says "max COLD sidwall pressure" The blow out pressure is a tad higher, and by that I mean over 3digits.
Would you please post all the information about the location of your car as well as a complete description of the car so that I may stay as far away from your rolling time bomb as possible?

The tire manufactures place maximum pressures on the side walls for a reason, you exceeding it is just plain dumb.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Yes. They do leave out the oil. Because, yes it does in some cases. And if you are never driving your engine hard it doesn't realy hurt it.

I know of someone that regularly gets his oil changed at the dealer. He supplies is own oil and ask for the empty bottles plus remainder of the last bottle back to ensure they put in the right amount.
This may be true. But if he has engine trouble under warranty it would not shock me if he has trouble getting it repaired if he kept the oil level below the manufacturer's recommendation. I'm guessing the dealership makes note of the amount of oil used, either on his service slip and/or in their system. Of course I have no idea how much less he's using.

Quick Reply: Dealer push-back on requested Tire Pressure.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands