View Poll Results: Did you purchase an extended warranty?
Yes, I always buy extended warrantees
10.28%
Yes, I usually don't buy extended warrantees but did because the hybrid is 'different'
41.12%
I am still undecided what to do
9.35%
No, I never buy warrantees
32.71%
No, I usually buy warrantees, but I didn't this time
3.74%
No, I lease the car and wont keep it long enough to worry about it
0%
I haven't yet, but I definitely will
2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have an extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do you have an extended warranty?

Remember, this isn't a lifetime warranty, it's only up to 100,000 miles.
I don't remember the exact figures (I kept meticulous records), but my 1996 Avalon (retired after 16 years and 205,000 miles) didn't have too many (or any???) expensive repairs until the car crossed 140,000 (or more) miles.
If I had to bet, I'd say my out of pocket repairs in the first 100,000 most likely was <$200. Maybe it was zero?? (I'm not including maintenance expenses)
I kept my 1986 Camry for about ten years (~150,000 miles). I don't remember spending too much on repairs on that car (especially in the <100,000 phase).
My wife's CRV is >110,000 miles, but her repairs might have been <$300 (before the 100,000 mark).
So, if I spent $1,000 on each of these three cars for prepaid repairs, I'd have been our of pocket more than $2,000 (compared to self insuring).
My 07 TCH has ~55,000 miles. I'm going to shoulder any expense for repairs as I don't have an extended warranty. By my back of the envelope calculation, I'd need a $3,000 repair within the next 2 or 3 years for me to have been better off with series of extended warranties on my cars. I don't want to jinx it...but that aint happening (famous last words!)
My point (again), is the cost of an extended warranty significantly exceeded any benefit I might have reaped (based on real world experience).
I'm sure someone will show up with a story about an expensive repair that more than paid for the cost of the warranty, but ...IMHO...that's the exception not the rule. (Yes, we all know someone who made money visiting Atlantic City/Las Vegas...but most visitors come home losers)
YMMV

Last edited by haroldo; 01-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I called my insurance company (GEICO) today to add a new vehicle to my policy and found out they offer a full extended warranty, up to 7 years, for only $5.50 per month, or $462 for 7 years (max time limit), up to 100k miles. I don't know if the price varies from vehicle to vehicle, but if it does, it would likely be a nominal difference. Now that is truly an exceptional deal!

I have done some research on line and the plan seems to be a good one, possibly better than typical ones, covering everything except regular maintenance items. The deductible is $250. Per the information I obtained from Geico:

"Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) protects new car owners against many major repair bills. When you take your vehicle in for repair, all you'll have to pay is the $250 deductible (per occurrence). To qualify for MBI coverage, your car must be less than 15 months old, have fewer than 15,000 miles and you must be the first titleholder.

Exclusions to this policy include such regular maintenance service (and related parts) as tune-ups, suspension alignments, wheel balancing, filters, lubrications, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty. See the policy contract for the complete terms and conditions of this coverage. Limits do not apply in all states. "

Last edited by ppgroup; 01-05-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I bought one and ran through my miles before I needed it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

I have bought a number of these things over the years for use with computers, TV's, kitchen appliances and autos. I have never had one that has come close to giving me my money back. On the auto warranty had a payout and it was only about $200.

I find it interesting that when negotiating for the car, the sales people are always talking about legendary Toyota reliability. When I get sent to the taxes and warranty guy, I hear about all the delicate parts that can go wrong and how the newer Toyotas don't have the same reliability as my 10 year old Toyota.

If they want to sell me a warranty, then sell me one that covers the car from 100,000 to 200,000 miles. That would interest me.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 AM

They pull that on me with the last two cars I bought. I tell them, i'm not interested in you extended warranty. I trust the Toyota quality and is why I'm buying this car.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
...If they want to sell me a warranty, then sell me one that covers the car from 100,000 to 200,000 miles. That would interest me.
Even if they did, it wouldn't be a bargain.
They'll simply calculate the likelihood of repairs for cars over a certain age/mileage (which would be extremely high) multiply times the cost of repairs ...then add a profit margin...then add a sales commission to agent.
So if there's a 75% chance that your water pump will go by 200,000 and it's a $600 repair, that'll be $450, so they'll round it up to $500. Then do the same for every other part that will break or wear out.
If they did offer a 100,000-200,000 mile plan, it'd probably cost $2,500 or more.

The best insurance is self insurance (unless you can't afford to bear the loss)

Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Of course, you are correct. I should have said, sell me a warranty from 100,000 to 200,000 at the same price as the warranty to 100,000 miles. Obviously, they would never do that. Unless the cost of an expensive repair would be a life altering event, I can't see the use of the extended warranty. One other thing, given the existing warranties on the car it really isn't a 100,000 mile warranty. Rather it is an additional warranty for 64,000, 40,000 or zero miles depending on the part that is covered.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 01-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 PM

...and what most people miss is it only covers things that break, not expenditures for stuff that is expected to wear out (break pads, etc.). Much of the expenditures on older car repairs is for worn out stuff.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

Is the traction battery covered under the Toyota extended warranties which are written for periods longer than 100k miles? I don't think it is. If this is indeed correct -- and someone please let me know if I am wrong -- you could purchase a 125k mi / 8 year extended warranty and still get hit up for a $4k repair.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Do you have an extended warranty?

I have a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid....with almost 100,000 miles. I have about two plus days to determine if I should extend my warranty at quite a cost with either Easy Care or with Ford via the dealer. Apparently Ford offers a better deal, however I haven't checked all of the details; including the deductible info, and they do not cover road damage to the wheels/tires. If anyone has advice....please provide. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Do you have an extended warranty?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands