Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Driving Habits Poll (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/driving-habits-poll-18792/)

haroldo 06-27-2008 10:26 AM

Driving Habits Poll

How does your average driving speed compare to your pre-TCH average driving speed?

FastMover 06-27-2008 10:40 AM

Re: Driving Habits Poll

Not so much a question of speed. I answered "about the same speed", but that does not tell the whole story.

I drive much further "ahead" of the car, often six or more vehicles ahead, to anticipate speed changes and react earlier to avoid stops, other braking and hard accelerations of any kind.

I also accelerate from a stop less agressively, and when I must absolutely come to a full stop, such as a stop sign, I brake much earlier and strech the stop into a mild deceleration over a longer distance (read as longer regen time).

I am less inclined to change speeds, from the prevailing cruising speed for the conditions, merely to accomodate an agressive driver. If he wants to spend his own money to pass -- fine, but why should I spend mine just so he can go faster.

Coinversely, I am less inclined to pass myself and more likely to match the speed of a slower vehicle and take the FE "reward". (Note, I do watch for traffic buildups behind me, and will pass or wave the "number two" vehicle around if I see a backup forming.) However, if they get down into the 42-50 "FE killer" zone I will pass.)

:) I guess you could say my basic idea of road speed has not changed, but my driving style has.

Sky Blue 06-27-2008 12:23 PM

I drive even more like a little old lady.

La dee dahhhhhh.

swhoutx035 06-27-2008 12:44 PM

Defintely drive slower. It's all about getting "EXCELLENT!" at the end of a trip..., now if they could get a Mr Burns voiceover to go with it.

haroldo 06-27-2008 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by swhoutx035 (Post 178397)
... now if they could get a Mr Burns voiceover to go with it.

Why would ole' Montgomery applaud conservation? I imagine he owns a substantial stake in the oil company.

swhoutx035 06-27-2008 03:15 PM

lol, didn't think about that. Still, it would be "eggggsssselent".

haroldo 06-27-2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by swhoutx035 (Post 178410)
lol, didn't think about that. Still, it would be "eggggsssselent".

This?

CJO2007CamryHyb 06-28-2008 04:52 AM

I drive slower most of the time but i also try and anticipate starts and stops more due to the effect it has on fuel economy. In a non-hybrid car you can't see the difference due to the fact you have no "instant mpg meter" to let you know what the fuel economy is. I just try and avoid quck starts and stops if i can and use cruise control often.

rmorrow 06-30-2008 06:18 AM

While I, like others here, tend to work much harder at anticipating traffic changes to cut down on the slowing and speeding up, I find that I do also generally drive much slower. I'm much less concerned now about the guy behind me - I keep to the right wherever possible, so that he can pass me if he thinks I'm too slow. (by the way, by slow I mean I do about speed to speed plus 5KPH instead of speed plus 20-25KPH.)
I'm not nearly as much 'in a hurry' to get everywhere, and I find that as a side effect that I feel my overall stress level has gone down.

daveosborne 06-30-2008 08:57 AM

I've been a "go with the flow" driver for decades, but I've always loved the thrill of a legal pass, and the TCH just rockets up to passing speed. I could save half an mpg per tank if I didn't do that, I guess, but most of the time I accelerate and brake gently, and use "B" mode when appropriate. I drive to make a car last 15 or so years, and that means driving using the least amount of force, which also translates into good mpg.