Dropped TCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dropped TCH

wow this is the first tch i've seen with rims and tires other than stock.
i've heard rumors that the TCH has a transmission that only works with the stock wheels (wierd huh)
and also problems that you can run into due to the tire pressure sensor in the valve stems.
have you encountered/heard of this?
also if i don't have the navigation system, do i still have the tire pressure sensors in my stock tires?
i am looking to change my wheels to 18 or 19's

Old 09-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by beach808boyz
... if i don't have the navigation system, do i still have the tire pressure sensors in my stock tires?...
Yes you do.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 AM
WVGasGuy

i've heard rumors that the TCH has a transmission that only works with the stock wheels (wierd huh)

I don't think the transmission knows what kind of wheels you're running. I'm assuming you simply need to make sure the wheel has the right offset and that it has enough room to clear all the regen braking pieces. Going to a larger size usually wouldn't cause a problem with that. I'm guessing the regen system is the about the same size as the normal disc brakes as I can't see Toyota wanting to make a special sized wheel just for the hybrids.

and also problems that you can run into due to the tire pressure sensor in the valve stems.

That can be a problem. Some aftermarket wheels may be shaped in such a way that the sensor won't seat well and may leak. Since about all new cars will have sensors by next year I'm hoping (I want some too) newer wheels will indeed work with the sensors.

also if i don't have the navigation system, do i still have the tire pressure sensors in my stock tires?

YES

i am looking to change my wheels to 18 or 19's

Just realize the effects to FE with larger, wider tires as you go +2 and +3 sizing. A P225/40R19" tire will have a similar diameter as the stock wheels. Will look cool, but 40's are prone to damage are rough riding and are almost 8/10's of an inch wider.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

What are the safety concerns with changing from stock wheel/tires?

I have to believe there is a downside to things like:

Wear and tear on front end parts if you don't also match
springs, struts/shocks to the new tire/wheel characteristics.

And how about VSC and ABS? Those systems probably have
paramteters programmed into them that are geared to the
tire and wheel characteristics that Toyota supplies.

The ability to support the pressure monitoring system has already
been discussed.

Style and visual perception are one thing but I think safety trumps
style any time.

J

Old 09-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am thinking about buys some SE rims. I like them better.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Hooked on Hybrid

My 215/55-17 tires are same diameter as the stock 215/60-16's (<3% diff). For 18" wheels you would need a 2XX/50-18 tire and it's still OK with something like 6% difference. Use the tire swap calculator links found on other posts tell what combos have close enough diameters. The tire pressure monitor stems must be moved to the new alloy wheels to keep the warning system working correctly. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:58 PM
WVGasGuy

I have to believe there is a downside to things like:

Wear and tear on front end parts if you don't also match
springs, struts/shocks to the new tire/wheel characteristics.

I don't believe your springs and struts are "matched" to the tire/wheel combo. You do need to be careful when you start swaping those out, but as their relationship to the tire /wheel all you need to do is keep the same wheel geomerty with same offset and clearance for brake parts. Also don't add unsprung weight. Typically the reason to go aftermarket is to reduce that as some OEM allow wheels are heavy. A forged alloy wheel like Centerline can take several pounds off of the weight of a wheel and would improve acceleration and handling as well as help with the long term durability. For us TCH'ers they should help with FE as well. However once you go "big" like 19", possibly 18" you're probably adding weight. If you add weight you're going to hurt braking distances as well as stress your brakes harder than with the OEM. (Those large SUV's with 22's are probably dangerous unless they've beefed up their brake systems.)

And how about VSC and ABS? Those systems probably have
paramteters programmed into them that are geared to the
tire and wheel characteristics that Toyota supplies.

Very close diameter matchup with the OEM should keep the VSC and ABS invisible to the change.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
... A forged alloy wheel like Centerline can take several pounds off of the weight of a wheel and would improve acceleration and handling as well as help with the long term durability. ....
Sorry, but I have to believe the difference in inertia of a heavier wheel/tire assembly will have some adverse affect on the proper function of the strut. As in put more stress on it, take more cycles to damp etc.
Expecially since by your own admission those same "several pounds" would have any affect on the acceleration and handling of a 3 thousand pound plus vehicle.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:53 PM
WVGasGuy

Sorry, but I have to believe the difference in inertia of a heavier wheel/tire assembly will have some adverse affect on the proper function of the strut. As in put more stress on it, take more cycles to damp etc.
Expecially since by your own admission those same "several pounds" would have any affect on the acceleration and handling of a 3 thousand pound plus vehicle.

I don't disagree that a heavier wheel/tire combo will wear parts more quickly. What I am pointing out though there is a +1 possibly +2 alternative where the weight may be less than OEM's or at least close and that should not have an adverse affect on wear. The struts I don't believe are " matched" to the wheel / tire but matched more to be related to the spring rate and weight of the car that's "bouncing" on them.

Personally I can't imagine increasing the tire / wheel combo weight as there is NOTHING good for your car to become of it. (FE, braking, durability). I am interested in some lightweight 17" eventually for my TCH but I believe 18" probably would serve no useful purpose other than personal opinion about looks. I had 20" on my Infiniti FX45 and hated them. Tire life was VERY low, it was hard to keep them from shimmying and they were rough riding, and VERY expensive all the while not adding that much performance or looks over the 18"'s

Old 09-22-2006, 03:02 AM
Enthusiast

wait first question. what's FE?
lol i'm seeing FE everywhere and i'm like..man, i gotta find out what this means.
so these special valve stems, do you guys think it's worth it to put it into the new rims? what's wrong with checking tire pressure manually say every weekend?
well anyways, this is good news. i guess the only thing you'd have to worry about is the correct offset and the rim compatibility to the special valve stems.
what is the offset?
i heard you can reset your pressure in your tires with a button under the dash on the passenger side. is this true?

Quick Reply: Dropped TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands