Electrical Interference with Harman Kardon Drive+Play

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Electrical Interference with Harman Kardon Drive+Play

Originally Posted by SPL
I have just posted Canadian TSB2810 (= US TSB_AU004-07) covering the solution to this problem, titled "Noise from Auxiliary Port with External Device," in the thread "List of pertinent TSB's." There's a revised AUX socket assembly, connector cable, and in-line filter module that get fitted in place of the original AUX socket to resolve the noise problem caused by ground loops that occurs when the auxiliary device is playing while being powered by the car's 12-V system.

Stan
Hey, will this fix the issue that we are having with the Harman Kardon Drive + Play? Thanks, Paul

Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptung07
Hey, will this fix the issue that we are having with the Harman Kardon Drive + Play? Thanks, Paul
Yes it did fix the issue on my car when I had the dealer change out the parts.

The filter also didn't seem to act like the other filters I had tried, which cut out all of the bass response. There is still plenty of bass after the fix, and no more noise.

I am very happy with the repair.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
Yes it did fix the issue on my car when I had the dealer change out the parts.

The filter also didn't seem to act like the other filters I had tried, which cut out all of the bass response. There is still plenty of bass after the fix, and no more noise.

I am very happy with the repair.
Thanks man for the reply. I am bring my car for the tsb repair tuesday and I will let you know. I also totally understand what you mean, before this system was in my 4Runner and I had a small trace of the electrical noise, but not enough to notice it. When using a filter, all the bass was gone or lacking.
Also, what do you think...should I take out the drive+play system from my car before bringing it in? The system right now powered by the cigarette lighter cable and the audio through the aux plug. However, I fed the screen wire through the vent and behind the stereo...will the Toyota techs give me crap for doing that? I asked my service advisor that I have known for awhile and he said just leave it in...but will the actual techs working on the car try to come up with an excuse that it was my fault?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptung07
Thanks man for the reply. I am bring my car for the tsb repair tuesday and I will let you know. I also totally understand what you mean, before this system was in my 4Runner and I had a small trace of the electrical noise, but not enough to notice it. When using a filter, all the bass was gone or lacking.
Also, what do you think...should I take out the drive+play system from my car before bringing it in? The system right now powered by the cigarette lighter cable and the audio through the aux plug. However, I fed the screen wire through the vent and behind the stereo...will the Toyota techs give me crap for doing that? I asked my service advisor that I have known for awhile and he said just leave it in...but will the actual techs working on the car try to come up with an excuse that it was my fault?
I don't think they will give you crap. The fact that there is a TSB makes it pretty clear that there is a problem with the aux input and noise.

I left mine in place (I had to demonstrate the problem), but I have the screen mounted near the main power button on the dash, and the interface box is tucked into the cubby under the stereo. I also had installed a 12v power line filter in line with the power port jack inside the cubby. I was worried about them giving me crap about that, and I don't think they even noticed it.