Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Got a used 2009 Camry XLE Hybrid, some questions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/got-used-2009-camry-xle-hybrid-some-questions-31011/)

Marik 11-12-2016 06:27 PM

Got a used 2009 Camry XLE Hybrid, some questions

So I looked at the carfax and it looks like he kept up to date with everything, and everything seems to check out, except the recalls don't appear to have been addressed? That means I have to go get them addressed at a Toyota service center, right?

So I love the car so far, but one thing I did notice was that when I stop and go, there's a slight vibration when I first begin to accelerate. Is this normal? I think it's helping to let go of the breaks and gently accelerate at first, but thought I'd ask if this is how it's supposed to be. Also, is that basically the best way to get better MPG? I've noticed the MPG consumption meter goes all the way up to like, 20 or less, which is basically this car's version of RPMS burning if I give it more acceleration. So if I want better MPG I want to keep that lower when accelerating, right?

Also, is there anything to watch out for in the winter? I live in Washington state where it rains a lot and it can potentially snow but usually doesn't for more than a week total or so. My tires are currently what the owner's manual says except for 95V instead of 94V. I assume I use the gear in B instead of D for the winter and accept the MPG drop if it's bad enough? And what's the best way to warm it up? I think basically give it a slow drive around the neighborhood?

Thanks!

ukrkoz 11-13-2016 08:33 AM

Re: Got a used 2009 Camry XLE Hybrid, some questions

Why don't you come over and I'll give you crash course in TCH - Toyota Camry Hybrid - hypermiling? I live in Auburn/ Black Diamond area. This will be absolutely better than trying to coach you via internet.
Shudder you feel at acceleration is ICE - internal combustion engine - engaging. Normal. You have same mpg gauge I do. You want to drive so that to keep it at 60 or in blue EV - electric vehicle - zone.
Press Display button several times until you get to running mpg one. Leave it there. Will be good gauge for you to follow as it's about in your line of sight.
As I live in same state - well, maybe you are in E WA, that's different animal - here's my long term mpg chart:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/cam...0562/fuelchart

This will answer your winter mpg question.
No, do nothing special for winter.

haroldo 11-14-2016 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Marik (Post 261002)
...I assume I use the gear in B instead of D...

NO!
B is engine braking.

There is no special gearing like some cars have for snow driving.
Best advice I can offer...just drive it. It's a normal car and you really don't need to know or do anything special.
Turn it on, put it in Drive, press the gas (or brake) peddle as needed.

GeorgiaHybrid 11-14-2016 12:28 PM

Take a look at the new owners FAQ sticky.

ukrkoz 11-14-2016 08:36 PM

Ah, my favorite horse - B mode...

B mode
With influx of new model owners, there appears to be a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about B mode.
Not really asked about this, but I think it may be a good idea to put some clarity into this.

Before we go any further, one concept needs to be realized.

TOYOTA HYBRID VEHICLES DO NOT HAVE TRANSMISSION THE WAY WE ARE USED TO IT.

Hybrid Synergy Drive, or HSD, has PSD - Power Split Device.

http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm

(all references for Prius are basically same for Camry)

With this being said, what happens when you shift lever into any position? You are, simply, telling computer to change the PSD mode of operation. This is why Prii do not even have shifting lever, but a dingy little joystick in dash board, one of the main reasons I shall never buy one. It is nothing more than an electronic lever telling ECM (engine control module) what do you want to do, then it tells servos to adjust PSD accordingly.

As a result, this allowed Toyota to come up with B mode. B stands for "braking".

In a very simplified manner, and for those who are familiar with manual transmissions, B mode , for any practical purpose, is equivalent to braking with engine, in a car with manual transmission.

You chose B mode, ECU tells TCM - transmission control module - to couple one of the motor generators, or MG, with ICE - internal combustion engine. Engine is placed into "fuel starving mode", when no fuel is supplied. As a result, wheels are slowed down by resistance, produced by air being compressed inside the cylinders. Amount of this resistance is controlled by VVT-I, variable valve timing - intelligent system, bleeding air out of the engine, as needed.

Main difference between Hybrid ICE engine braking, and conventional ICE one is that fuel is not supplied and amount of resistance is electronically controlled.

Second very important difference is that, because TCH - Toyota Camry Hybrid - does not have conventional transmission - B mode can be used for normal acceleration. As soon as gas pedal is touched, braking with engine is stopped, and acceleration is resumed. The very moment gas pedal is released - power train goes into engine braking mode again.

Camry manual states that "to start moving, place gear selector lever in D or B position". Permanent use of B mode is not recommended, as "certain gears may be damaged" (Prius manual)

What practical purposes does B mode serve?

1. Very nice, smooth, slowing down the vehicle. I certainly use it on wet downhills, where chances of skid are higher, if normal brakes are applied. Vehicle Stability Control System takes longer to respond, than B mode. This is what B mode is primarily recommended for in manual.
2. Though it is still argued in this forum, B mode recharges hybrid battery faster, than simple inertial recharge from rolling in D mode or from regenerative braking. This is accomplished by MG supplying 30-40 Amp current to the hybrid battery, which is higher recharge rate, than other recharge modes.
3. B mode, AFTER THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED, serves as waste gate equivalent in a turbo charged engine - by coupling ICE to MG. ICE propulsion "dumps" excess energy. Otherwise, in D mode, to accomplish same, ECU will turn ICE on and keep it running.
4. This is for drivers that actually DRIVE their Camrys, not just let Camrys "drive drivers". I use B mode for sharper, sportier cornering. Instead of using brakes before corner entry, I kick lever into B mode. It gives just enough braking to enter the corner faster than in D mode and, as I can accelerate right away, allows to pass corner apex faster, and exit corner at higher speed, by simply stepping onto the gas pedal. Then, after exiting corner, I kick lever back into D mode.
5. It is said, that B mode, due to this neat slow-accelerate-slow-accelerate feature, is used by drivers that cross-tour Prii and Camrys.
6. It is said - and I'll check it out winter time - that B mode permits much better stability on snow and ice.
7. Personally, I do use it for short, "burst" type brakings during normal commute, town or freeway. Whatever allows me to touch brake pedal less - is good.

Needs to be noted, that ICE resistance depends on vehicle speed. Max resistance is at speeds higher than RPM - revolutions per minute - limit for MG, which is, I believe, around 3500 or so RPMs. In older models, this was 42mph, in new ones - 45mph.

Is it safe to use B mode? Yes.
Does it save more gasoline? I do believe so, as it puts ICE in fuel starved mode. Also, it improves mpg by allowing to stay away from regular brakes. Also, recharging hybrid battery faster, it allows longer EV - electric vehicle - mode use.

Fun factor is also there, as it gives another option of controlling your vehicle. As in - driving it, not just sitting there.

Marik 11-15-2016 09:07 PM

Alright, well these have been some helpful hints. I got a couple things that have come up since the OP. What is the proper way to warm up the car? I did try reading that FAQ one of you suggested, and it's honestly terrible. It says the different stages of warming up but it doesn't say how to do it. And it keeps popping up different windows etc. and then they keep loading different websites and all this other weird crap. Sorry but the FAQ is useless.

Anyways, about the vibrating and shaking. This actually seems to have gotten worse, to a point that it will do it when I have my foot on the brake at a complete stop - say a stop sign or red light. It'll continue vibrating on and off. And sometimes in that situation it says ZERO MPG CONSUMPTION - and sometimes it'll be barely above that if I'm only coasting. What. The. Eff?! It'll vibrate if I barely have my foot on the gas, and it'll vibrate at varying speeds. Feels kinda unnerving experiencing this back and forth jerk on something I just bought...

Don't get me wrong I love the car, I just am probably getting paranoid as I usually do with big financial commitments. I always expect to get ripped off, even if I believe in Toyotas, hybrids, etc. Just strange that I'm already experiencing this type of issue.

Marik 11-15-2016 11:45 PM

Oh yeah, I'm also being told the tires need to be replaced by discount tires. Any recommendations what to go with? This stuff was already getting expensive even before finding out about this in addition to life stuff, so I'm kinda hesitant about buying something expensive. I was recommended Continental Contact Touring tires and it would've totaled over $600 for the whole warranty shebang and stuff. Scary expensive yo. I could maybe do GT Radial tires which is a lot cheaper (I think $300) but I also know that may not last long. Then again, tires aren't something that last long anyways, so that's either a reason to go with them or not go with them...thoughts on best tire selection?

hotrod53 11-16-2016 05:31 AM

I vote against the Continentals, I had true contacts on my non-hybrid 07 Camry and I didn't like them, wet traction was bad from day one, wear was bad too. The other down side of Conti's is the warranty. Continental wants the dealer to send the tires back to them for evaluation before they tell you what they will refund you when they wear out way too quickly. It took me about 6 weeks to get my refund, the good side of this if there is one, you can apply that money to that which you owe when you bought a different brand of tires to replace the Conti's.

I have Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my '13 TCH that were installed before I bought the car, they're noisy and not real smooth, I wouldn't recommend them. I had Goodyear Comfort tread touring on my '07 that were super smooth. The guy who recently bought that car from me worked in a tire store, he commented "I can tell that you hadn't planned to sell this car because those are good tires and no one would buy those if they knew they were selling the car". Stay away from Yokohama Avid's, they eventually growl horribly, they were terrible tires. I've had Cooper CS4 and CS5s, they were just eh.

haroldo 11-16-2016 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Marik (Post 261032)
Alright, well these have been some helpful hints. I got a couple things that have come up since the OP. What is the proper way to warm up the car? ...

Anyways, about the vibrating and shaking.....

The car doesn't need to be warmed up. Just think of it as a normal car. Turn it on and drive.
The vibrations you're noticing is the engine. When it's on, the car vibrates, when it's off and you're using battery the car is still. There are times that the battery needs to recharge, so it will run the engine even if you're at a stop light. There are times when the car needs extra oomph (quick acceleration from a stop), so you'll notice the 'stumble' (that's the engine turning on and engaging with the drive train)
Start thinking of this as a regular car. If you do all the craziness of trying to tweak your mileage, you'll save $20 a year (okay, an exaggeration), but seriously, it's just a car. Don't overthink it, just drive it like you would any other car.

Oh, one more thing...as the editor of the FAQ (from years ago), I accept your criticism. The forums are an impossible platform to create a FAQ, but we tried.

Marik 11-16-2016 08:15 AM

Well it wouldn't be the FAQ itself if it could load a little better. It just does all this weird stuff when I click on one of the questions. It's possible I have a virus too somehow based on how my computer is behaving lately so there's that.

I was gonna avoid the Continentals anyways, just didn't really like the deal. Yokohama Avids are what the previous owner put on there and is...still on the car. Seems like the best deal if I could afford it, which I can't, would be Michelin Defenders. But the GT Radials are much cheaper. I know that's kind of a trap with tires, or a gamble - I drive extremely safe, almost like Grandpa except with an attention span intact. So I might benefit from something long lasting, but even then you could still run over a nail without knowing it. Tough call for me.

ukrkoz 11-16-2016 07:39 PM

For better mpg you want ONLY low rolling resistance tires. I shall stand by my Yokohamas any time. I had originally Yoko 580, that were discontinued and now have whatever is the new 580 equivalent. total with install by Disc-t Tire was $470.
Listen to Haroldo. he knows his stuff.

haroldo 11-17-2016 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz (Post 261052)
Listen to haroldo. He knows his stuff.

:D
lol!!!!!

ukrkoz 11-17-2016 07:56 PM

You do. I learned a lot from your posts.

GeorgiaHybrid 11-18-2016 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz (Post 261052)
For better mpg you want ONLY low rolling resistance tires. I shall stand by my Yokohamas any time. I had originally Yoko 580, that were discontinued and now have whatever is the new 580 equivalent. total with install by Disc-t Tire was $470.
Listen to Haroldo. he knows his stuff.

LOL, Ukrkoz, if you have Yoko's on your car, you would be standing by them, more than likely, they're flat.

:shade:

ukrkoz 11-18-2016 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid (Post 261070)
LOL, Ukrkoz, if you have Yoko's on your car, you would be standing by them, more than likely, they're flat.

:shade:

Translate please? Why would they be flat?

stand by something to continue to have a particular belief or opinion, even though other people have doubts about it or disagree with you

Marik 11-18-2016 11:04 PM

Well I'm a little drunk. I haven't been driving, I promise. But I did drive it earlier when I was sober and I think I figured it out - I kept going for instant gratification on the MPG, and instead I tried driving it like any other car. It seemed to respond better to that. I got the same MPG but with a different method of that. I have been dabbling with the display settings where it tells me what is doing what - and it never told me the gas engine was simultaneously empowering the tires with the hybrid system before, but these last few times it did. That would explain why the vibration was intermittent like it was before, is that right?

Also, it seems activating the defrost will also activate the gas engine. I would imagine the same applies to listening to music in the car, since both draw similar energy from electricity?

ukrkoz 11-19-2016 06:34 AM

Look, I told you, it'd have been much faster for you to spend an hour or so with me and I could explain and show a lot about your car. I sort of know it. People are strange, they lost ability of helping each other. Watch too much movies read too much news, all afraid of rapists and gangsters. It's FREE HELP, Marik.
Anyhow. Yes, until system is well warmed up, turning heat on will turn engine on.
Yes, ICE and EM, or MG, can run together, or independently. It's whatever computer tells it to do at the moment.
Some will tell you to "just drive like regular car". No, that is not the case. Your job is to do 2 things.
1. glide, or coast, as much and as long as possible
2. keep traction battery charged as long and as much as possible.
So it really depends on terrain you driving on and length of your trips, as short trips only you have NO electric benefit. Takes 15-20 minutes right now here in WA for the system to warm up. less summer time, that's why summer mpg goes up.
Some will suggest the so called pulse and glide driving technique. I tried it and it is not really working well. Maybe in Wyoming or Oklahoma or anywhere else where roads are long stretches of flat. Here, where you have hills and valleys, you simply do not have where to glide. Unless you are in East WA in areas where it is rather flat. Not on the ocean side. Besides, it consumes so much gas doing pulse, that I do not see it recovering all that during glide.
So I stay with simply modest accelerations, coasting or cruising as much as environment permits, planned B braking and very sensitive right foot. It hit 34 yesterday am and I still have 39.9 average mpg long term.

hotrod53 11-20-2016 06:31 AM

I benefit from the pulse and glide method here in PA, I've been averaging 39.8 mpg every tank no matter the type of driving. You'll get to know what will call ine ICE on, therefore you'll get a run for it and take advantage of the flats and downhills. Monitor your left gauge and keep it in EV as long as you can, learn to back off when above the trip point, and learn to push the EV right up to where it will start the ICE. Being in the ECO band doesn't hurt your mileage much, it seems at that point the ICE is only running like a pony motor and keeping the battery charged. I put my mode in ECO when I bought the car and only took it out once to see the difference. I'm doing a 300 mile round trip this week, I'll be curious to see what mileage I get, but I'm thinking I'll still be at my 39.8 average.

Marik 12-02-2016 07:41 PM

I get it dude. Auburn is not exactly close to me though. That will likely take an hour drive to and from. Not easy when you have a family and work a lot. I'd like to if you can meet somewhere in the middle though like Tacoma or something.

Anyways, is it normal to get a noise when braking (different than the normal regenerative braking noise) it's hard to describe but it's like a whaling noise or something. Somewhat high pitched, almost a squeal or squeak. I know it's hard to describe this stuff on the internet.

The vibration has cut back a bit. It comes and goes but I think I've figured out a lot of stuff. The car is smooth as hell when I drive it that way, although that doesn't seem to be the best way to get MPG sometimes.

KenSoren 12-09-2016 09:33 AM

I need to agree with kudos to HarroldO for his explanations of how the hybrid works. When we bought our '09 TCH in Jan of '09 I was really disappointed to have an electric car that rarely used the electric mode so I researched on the internet and found this forum with harroldO's explanation. That gave me an idea of what to expect and how to drive the car to get results. That was the start of my love for Toyota hybrids, now I have a '16 Avalon hybrid and my wife has a '15 Prius. My hats off to HarroldO!
About the tires - look at the Pireli P7's. Many have praised these tires on the Toyota Nation site, and swear by them for a smooth quiet ride plus they are less expensive than Michelin.

haroldo 12-09-2016 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by KenSoren (Post 261274)
I need to agree with kudos to HarroldO .... My hats off to HarroldO!....

Awww shucks
Thanks!

ukrkoz 12-11-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Marik (Post 261176)
I get it dude. Auburn is not exactly close to me though. That will likely take an hour drive to and from. Not easy when you have a family and work a lot. I'd like to if you can meet somewhere in the middle though like Tacoma or something.

I'll have long weekend in 2 weeks. We could. Tacoma is about 30 min away from me and that's where I bought mine anyway. At least i could listen to her and feel her. Showing how to hypermile in even an hour is rather hard, it's a lot of habits to be broken if you switched from conventional car to hybrid.

Marik 12-20-2016 07:39 PM

****, only 2300 miles into it and I just got a check engine light earlier today. I tried going to Toyota of Olympia and they said they'd charge $108 an hour JUST TO LOOK AT THE CAR. That's ****ing ridiculous. No way in hell I'm doing that. Anyways, I'm going to have it checked out by the mechanic I have trusted the whole time I guess. I never took a hybrid there before, but at least they're actually honest.

I know a lot of people have this happen with Toyotas because of the gas cap getting loose, and I actually just filled up earlier today. It was looking a little loose actually, and I noticed some gas had gotten on the cap itself. Odd. Anyways, this WOULD cause that light to go off, and it would remain even if I fastened the cap properly anyways, right?

But like I said I'm gonna get it taken to the mechanic to at least have them look at it, and it's definitely not gonna be the Toyota stealership. Pray for me if that's what you do. And any thoughts or recommendations, I'm all eyes.

WMConey 12-21-2016 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Marik (Post 261426)
****, only 2300 miles into it and I just got a check engine light earlier today. I tried going to Toyota of Olympia and they said they'd charge $108 an hour JUST TO LOOK AT THE CAR. That's ****ing ridiculous. No way in hell I'm doing that. Anyways, I'm going to have it checked out by the mechanic I have trusted the whole time I guess. I never took a hybrid there before, but at least they're actually honest.

I know a lot of people have this happen with Toyotas because of the gas cap getting loose, and I actually just filled up earlier today. It was looking a little loose actually, and I noticed some gas had gotten on the cap itself. Odd. Anyways, this WOULD cause that light to go off, and it would remain even if I fastened the cap properly anyways, right?

But like I said I'm gonna get it taken to the mechanic to at least have them look at it, and it's definitely not gonna be the Toyota stealership. Pray for me if that's what you do. And any thoughts or recommendations, I'm all eyes.

Look online for one of the plug in error code readers. Well worth the $20 investment. "OBD2 scan tool" is the search description. Most have an app that will let you look up the car error code.

Marik 12-22-2016 02:33 AM

I got it taken to the mechanic and they looked at it and confirmed it actually WAS a loose gas cap, but they also looked at it and said everything looks great. And they didn't charge me a thing. Granted, these guys are independent, and not Toyota, but to me that's sounding like a pretty dang good thing at this point. I'm not sure if they'll do tune-ups on a hybrid, or if they do, is it a good idea to have them do it instead of Toyota? When the time comes?

And thanks for the OBD2 scan tool recommendation. I'm gonna buy one now that you mentioned that so it at least kinda helps me do some DIY work in a pinch if I have to and am able, in future situations.

haroldo 12-22-2016 07:06 AM

Buy the Automatic. https://www.automatic.com/
It tells you what the yellow warnng light codes mean...but also does a lot more

Marik 12-24-2016 12:26 AM

I got another question about this 2009 Camry Hybrid. So I'm noticing this fog building up on all of the windows and it won't go away, and I have to say I'm absolutely tired of every car I have, having this issue. That **** never disappears no matter what I do to it. I've gone over everything and come up with two possible culprits. Either it's the sunroof and I'm a dumbass for not figuring out how to seal it, or the fact that there's no seal between the frame and glass of the rear windshield on the exterior. Outside of the car, around the glass, there's supposed to be a piece of rubber that barriers the whole edge between the glass and frame right? Well, I don't have one...simply have nothing. Any ideas?

hotrod53 12-30-2016 12:56 PM

I saw some reference to having Avid tires.... these tires suck badly. When I bought my '09 non-hybrid, it had Avids on it. I told the dealer that I thought that I had a bad rear wheel bearing, he said no,its the Avids and he put 2 new rears on it. A few months later, the growl came back and I had to live with it until those POS Avids wore out. As soon as I changed tires, it was smooth and quiet again. I wouldn't take another set of Avids if they were free.

ukrkoz 01-08-2017 04:34 PM

tired of every car I have, having this issue.

You drink? Alcohol break down products in breath cause fogged windows.
otherwise, turn AC on and direct vents onto windshield. This clears fog in heartbeat.

Marik 01-22-2017 06:00 AM

I don't always drink, but when I do, driving isn't what I'm doing.

Anyways, I got a great story now. GREAT I tell you! So I'm at someone's house chilling out, then all of a sudden the Mom comes in and tells me she's got a problem - she just hit my car! Guess I should be lucky that it actually took as long as two months, right? Right, because I used her insurance to get it towed (because the fender was pressed into the tire a bit) fixed, and get a rental car while I was at it. And then on the first day of the rental car, a moron hit and ran that one in a parking lot!

So I got my car back after this rather interesting ordeal in which I was forced to test out a 2017 Toyota Camry NON HYBRID, and determined my car is clearly way the hell better than that one, albeit not as expensive. Did I mention that car was basically new, because it only had about 100 miles on it when the moron hit and ran it? I caught his license plate because it's routine for me to do so at this point (idiot drivers everywhere). I picked up the damage waiver which is normally a rip off because I knew this was gonna happen too.

I'm now left rather paranoid, or more so than previously, which is a big problem however. I'm really tired of this, because I am someone who never speeds, ever, and I signal to merge, signal to exit a roundabout, and TURN INTO THE CORRESPONDING/CLOSEST LANE BEFORE MOVING OVER rather than CHANGING LANES IN AN INTERSECTION...which someone earlier today, obviously didn't know. I told my wife...I bet the guy next to me randomly moves into my lane when we turn...and then he did. God I love being psychic, I save so many lives because of it! And money!

I thought I'd share the story, hope you enjoyed it. But anyways, they did wipe the windows off in some way, which seems to have helped. The back windshield is still a bit foggy though, so I think there's some type of different problem going on with that. It seems that stuff doesn't come off, I dunno. What are the best tires to get for a 2009 TCH? Discount Tires seems to have a rather **** selection. I suppose I COULD go to the Toyota Stealership but I dunno, next to that idea, I rather like sticking my fingers down my throat and chucking into the crapper.

On a positive note I do truly love the car. I just pray I can continue to have the ability to do so for another 200,000 miles.

ukrkoz 01-22-2017 11:25 AM

Never said you drink and drive, right? I said - alcohol break down products cause fogged glass. I worked in alcoholics rehab. First thing am doc will do was to take empty glass and let one suspect of drinking yesterday give a quick exhale into it. It fogged solid - first sign guy drank yesterday. Also, I noticed that if I had a few beers and buddy was driving - my side of the car windows WILL fog. He even joked - now everyone outside can tell someone is drunk inside. So it actually is true. Nothing to do with you driving. Just a thought.
They sell antifogging wipes in parts stores. I believe it's as simple as methyl alcohol wipes. Judging by their smell. Someone told me rubbing fresh cut potato does same anti-fogging effect.
But if this issue follows you from a car to a car - it's something in your body that does it. Sweat, breath, whatever. I had a patient that his sweat caused squeaking shoes.
Hey, there is nothing offensive in what I say. People simply forgot that there are very real everyday things that are very important but for some reason never talked about. Like urination and defecation. One dies if not yet, can't talk about it.
So it may be food, drinks, whatever. personal chemistry. Who knows.

Marik 02-03-2017 06:12 PM

Haha, I'm not easily offended bro. I don't think alcohol would be the issue at hand here. I'm not really drinking often - more like a beer a month, if that. However, I am manly as hell, and work out hard, and drink a lot of water. I'm buff, so I sweat from time to time. Though not often in the car. More like when I'm lifting weights, and getting shallow women dropping panties for me in the gym only for me tell them I'm faithfully married. However I do bring bottles of water in the car. I drink about 100 ounces of water a day, probably more actually. Not sure what else it could be...it kinda seems like it is happening from the back a lot more, but it also gets to the front. It hits every window. The rear windshield seems most affected. Hmm...

ukrkoz 02-04-2017 09:58 AM

I had a patient that his sweat caused squeak in any shoe we tried on him.
I can only tell that back in my drinking times, EVERY car I was in will "sweat" from the inside.
Not anymore. Light fog I have after gym is easily gone from fan run.

Marik 02-04-2017 05:15 PM

I forgot to mention I do ... ecigarettes. I hate the term "vaping" but I suppose that's more accurate. Like, let's go in the back and VAPE BRO! Lawl. That might contribute but it seems to be there even if I don't do it for a while? Also the defrosters, and basically any other form of temperature control in the car, seem very slow to act. I think these are perhaps the most contributing factors. But like I said, it is odd that it's affecting the back windows and windshield most when I'm obviously in the front doing this. And like I said, it does affect them all. So I think there's more to it but I can maybe try to troubleshoot but cutting down on the um...vaping. God, it makes me sound like a stoner when I say that. And I don't do that stuff.

I'm not really sure why you're still stuck on the drinking thing though, maybe you are trolling a little bit? I did explain that I drink very sparingly.

ukrkoz 02-05-2017 07:08 AM

You'll be surprised how air circulates through the cabin.
In my TCH, identical to yours, I keep fan on window/floor (for some **** reason can't set it on windows only anymore in any car) and amazingly rear window clears at the same rate as the front.
But she does not "sweat" really. Hondas we had were very bad about this.
Is your AC working? AC dries out humidity quickly.

ukrkoz 02-05-2017 07:10 AM

Btw. I have window visors. I crack pass side windows open about an inch. That creates a very nice circular airflow through the cabin and defogs everything in a minute or so. Also cools me down after workout. I am staying away from AC use as much as I can.

Jon Walter 10-10-2018 07:09 AM

Hi,
So I've been browsing this forum about how many MPGs you guys are getting on your camry and Im getting no where near that! I get 16-18mpg with normal driving at best I got 19.8mpg which was just "eco" and barely reving the engine at about 1500 when driving.

Any idea on what could be wrong with it? I did my first oil change @ 5000 and it didn't help at all

hotrod53 10-10-2018 07:25 AM

Wow, I can’t imagine what would drop it that much! I have been averaging 39 summer and 37 winter.

I just got new tires put on, they are the exact same size and the exact same tire size that I replaced, my mileage went from 39 to 36.5.

I run mine in ECO mode all the time but I’ve heard that guys get about the same not using that mode. Does your yellow bar indicators that are around the mileage gage show that you’re using electric? Does your EV sign light up to the left of the CHG-ECO-PWR gauge?

S Keith 10-10-2018 09:14 AM

Jon replies to random threads about different vehicles. Search his post history. He posts about calling Ford for resolution on a Honda - when the last post in the thread was 2011. He at one point claimed to own a 2012 Prius, but now he's posting in a TCH thread.

Probably best to just ignore him.

paulgoh 10-15-2018 01:29 PM

Too bad you bought the car already, if not I would have told you not to get any camry older than 2012 because of excessive oil consumption problem:
http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends...l-consumption/

I hope your car don't suffer from this.