¡Hat trick! Three TCHs on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ¡Hat trick! Three TCHs on the freeway

Orcrone,

I am just like you when driving. I do try to keep it in EV mode for short periods though, which makes me go slower than I would normally. I find that staying in EV mode too long hurts your overall FE because ICE has to run at the next few lights. ICE running at a stop = bad.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Malcontent

They might be the ones that complain that hybrids don't achieve their EPA ratings. Some people seem to think only the vehicle matters and not the type of driving...

Originally Posted by FL07THC
We have a TON of Priuses here. There is not a day that goes by that I dont see one or 2. Most of them pass me. They must think they have a Mazda Speed 3 ZOOM ZOOM!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FL07THC
Orcrone,

I am just like you when driving. I do try to keep it in EV mode for short periods though, which makes me go slower than I would normally. I find that staying in EV mode too long hurts your overall FE because ICE has to run at the next few lights. ICE running at a stop = bad.
Not only does the ICE have to run for a while, but the higher your SOC the easier it is to get the car into EV mode. I find that I travel on one road with a 50 mph speed limit and lights every 1/4 mile. They're timed that if you get to 50 you'll be slowing to nothing. Instead I accelerate with the ICE to about 40, utilizing little SOC. I let off the gas and the car easily goes into EV mode. I then coast until the light turns green and the cars start moving. During this time the regen charges the battery even more. I get real good mileage in these stretches because of the EV mode, but I arrive with the SOC still pretty near max.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: ¡Hat trick! Three TCHs on the freeway

Originally Posted by belbe
Steve, since you started this thread, are you still with us? Someone was commenting that perhaps you did end up selling you TCH...?
I'm still here, thanks! Sold the "other car" so now (finally) just a one-car very happy TCH owner. Thanks for asking!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, Steve! Great to know you are still with us!! Many of us have missed your presence!

Barb