Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Hot center console by gear shifter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/hot-center-console-gear-shifter-20213/)

jg013c 11-05-2008 11:58 AM

Hot center console by gear shifter

I was driving yesterday and noticed that the center console was hot to the touch right by the gear shifter, sort of where the "R" and "B" letters are.

Anyone have any ideas?

mikieboyblue 11-05-2008 12:36 PM

Re: Hot center console by gear shifter

Did you have the heat on? The vent to the back passes through there. I'm not sure what else is there to create heat (other than the light bulb).

jg013c 11-05-2008 12:41 PM

I might have had the heat on.

SteveHansen 11-05-2008 03:06 PM

There is a light bulb under that area, so you can see the letters easily at night.

mikieboyblue 11-05-2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHansen (Post 190573)
There is a light bulb under that area, so you can see the letters easily at night.

Yes, that could be it too. The light bulb is directly to the rear of the B position. That does create a slight hot spot. It would be augmented by the heat being on. Although, I think the bulb is on only when the dash lights are on. So if this was during the day, it would have been off (I think).

wwest 11-06-2008 07:34 AM

There is also a solenoid that releases the shifter from the park position when you apply the brakes.

The Riddler 11-08-2008 05:14 PM

thats the spot where the mouse in the wheel is. Might be friction

jg013c 11-09-2008 04:22 AM

A mouse in a wheel? Maybe that would explain the squeaking and the disappearance of my cheese.

tbone526 11-09-2008 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Riddler (Post 190782)
thats the spot where the mouse in the wheel is. Might be friction

I think you're on the right track here, especially since the American-bred mice in these later models are typically overweight and put more strain on the wheel bearings.

The first TCH's that were all built overseas have smaller, lighter, Japanese-bred mice. They've never updated the design of the wheel to account for the kind we grow over here.