Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   How do you lock the car when the engine is running? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/how-do-you-lock-car-when-engine-running-11169/)

Ladybug 11-24-2006 08:05 AM

How do you lock the car when the engine is running?

I like to warm up my car in the winter time so that the windows can defrost before I get into it but I have discovered that I can't lock the car while the engine is running.

hamm3r 11-24-2006 10:19 AM

Re: How do you lock the car when the engine is running?

I haven't figured it out yet, but would be interested in knowing if it is possible.

Big-Foot 11-24-2006 11:01 AM

I'd also be interested in knowing how..

Just for S&G's I tried a little experiment to see just how many smarts Toyota put into this system.

I got into the car with the FOB in my pocket. Started the engine (by turning on the heat). Got out of the car and walked away from it - The car gave it's little electronic beep 3 times to warn me that it was turned on and I was leaving it behind. I pulled the Fob from my pocket and laid it down on my back steps. Went back to my running car, got in and drove off. All the while I was driving the display was warning me that the Fob was not detected! But it gave me full control anyway.

I guess I was hoping that the salesman was right that the car would not let me drive away without the Fob. :(

It would make sense for the car to not allow itself to be driven off without the fob wouldn't it?

We KNOW Toyota has the technology and a lot of sound reasoning behind how and why they did things. I just wonder about this one. Maybe a dealer configurable option??

schmidtj 11-24-2006 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot (Post 100138)
I'd also be interested in knowing how..

Just for S&G's I tried a little experiment to see just how many smarts Toyota put into this system.

I got into the car with the FOB in my pocket. Started the engine (by turning on the heat). Got out of the car and walked away from it - The car gave it's little electronic beep 3 times to warn me that it was turned on and I was leaving it behind. I pulled the Fob from my pocket and laid it down on my back steps. Went back to my running car, got in and drove off. All the while I was driving the display was warning me that the Fob was not detected! But it gave me full control anyway.

I guess I was hoping that the salesman was right that the car would not let me drive away without the Fob. :(

It would make sense for the car to not allow itself to be driven off without the fob wouldn't it?

We KNOW Toyota has the technology and a lot of sound reasoning behind how and why they did things. I just wonder about this one. Maybe a dealer configurable option??

You want the car to stop because the battery in the FOB fails. Not THATS a point of failure. A two dollar battery would prevent the use of the car.
It's called SmartSTART for a reason I guess and not SmartRUN.
Can you use the key fob to lock the doors with the car running?

SPL 11-24-2006 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big-Foot — You ask what dealer-configurable options are available. The attached PDF file (taken from the TCH Repair Manual) might be of interest to you, and many others. I believe that it lists all of the configurable options.

Stan

Samuelrd1 11-24-2006 02:10 PM

It can be driven away, but once it is shut down, it's not going anywhere. Little solice though. It makes a good case for that vehicle retriever system that lets the police track your car if you report it stolen.

I forget the name, but basically your car puts out a homing beacon and can be pin pointed if needed.

Don't forget the remote start option. I ordered it for exactly that reason!

schmidtj 11-24-2006 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Samuelrd1 (Post 100147)
I forget the name, but basically your car puts out a homing beacon and can be pin pointed if needed.

Lojack.

Big-Foot 11-25-2006 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 100142)
You want the car to stop because the battery in the FOB fails. Not THATS a point of failure. A two dollar battery would prevent the use of the car.
It's called SmartSTART for a reason I guess and not SmartRUN.
Can you use the key fob to lock the doors with the car running?

I'll admit that I hadn't thought of that but....

It could be smart enough to say something like;
"Key not present - Place fob in front of button within 60 seconds or auto shut-down will commence"

Then the car could start slowing the vehicle's speed over the next 60 seconds and then only allow a max speed of 10mph for the next 60 seconds until it just stops altogether.

This gives the driver with a dying key fob 3 whole minutes to cough up the fob or he's going to the curb..

---

Stanley - Thanks for that list of features!

schmidtj 11-25-2006 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot (Post 100183)
I'll admit that I hadn't thought of that but....

It could be smart enough to say something like;
"Key not present - Place fob in front of button within 60 seconds or auto shut-down will commence"

Then the car could start slowing the vehicle's speed over the next 60 seconds and then only allow a max speed of 10mph for the next 60 seconds until it just stops altogether.

This gives the driver with a dying key fob 3 whole minutes to cough up the fob or he's going to the curb..

---

Stanley - Thanks for that list of features!

I guess you don't do a lot of freeway driving. Stopping/slowing/anything because of a fob going dead is unacceptable. And requiring someone to fumble for the fob while driving the car is out too. Many carry them in gym bags/purses etc. Thats worse than yacking on a cell phone, entering a NAV destination after you inputted in the override hack.
I still have an issue of letting the car run unattended in the first place. I got this car to minimize pollution, save fuel and the concept of running the car just to defrost the windows defeats that concept big time. Get the engine heater option if it's that big of a deal. OK that won't work at work in a parking lot unless you're in Minnesota and they have outlets everywhere (I'm told).

Paulgw 11-25-2006 07:22 AM

Does anyone know how long the SmartKey battery is likely to last? I realise this is something different but the original battery in my last cars standard type remote entry fob was still going strong when I sold the car after six years.