How Long Have Your Brakes Lasted?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How Long Have Your Brakes Lasted?

Just took my 07 TCH in for an oil service, and asked the tech to also look at my brakes because I have a little squeal at low speeds.

Service Manager called me and was first asked if they had done all the service on it, because it appears that the brakes are new. I told them no, they do all the service. He seemed amazed that the brakes are like new since the vehicle has over 80,000 miles. Said I have at least 80% wear left on front and rear.

He said he could replace the front pads to correct the squeal but I will try putting it in neutral and braking to wear the glaze off.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
Just took my 07 TCH in for an oil service, and asked the tech to also look at my brakes because I have a little squeal at low speeds.

Service Manager called me and was first asked if they had done all the service on it, because it appears that the brakes are new. I told them no, they do all the service. He seemed amazed that the brakes are like new since the vehicle has over 80,000 miles. Said I have at least 80% wear left on front and rear.

He said he could replace the front pads to correct the squeal but I will try putting it in neutral and braking to wear the glaze off.
The squeal is actually a high frequency vibration that comes from the backing being worn off the back of the pads. IE: you have metal to metal contact between the "back" of the pad surface and the caliper piston.

You can remove the pads and use a paste to coat the backs of the pads to stop the "squeal". ATE makes some stuff called Plasti-Lube that comes in a tube. Also, Permatex makes some stuff you can spray on the backs of the pads. I have used both and both work good. The stuff from ATE seems to last a little longer.

At 134,000 miles mine still look about like new too! Maybe 70 or 80% left.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
You can remove the pads and use a paste to coat the backs of the pads to stop the "squeal". ATE makes some stuff called Plasti-Lube that comes in a tube. Also, Permatex makes some stuff you can spray on the backs of the pads. I have used both and both work good.
I have used the Permatex liquid which comes in a tube. It provided temporary relief from the squeal of some new pads I put on another non hybrid car. The pads finally wore in and stopped squealing.

I've never had pads start to squeal that are very old. I think you may be right in that there is a glazing problem. You may be able to get rid of it with some hard stops and the transmission in neutral to disable the regeneration braking. Or you could remove the pads and lap them on a sheet of glass with sandpaper on the glass. If you go to that much trouble I would use the Permatex on the back of the pads as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: How Long Have Your Brakes Lasted?

07 camry purchased 6/06. 83k. front pads 9mm, rear pads 8mm.
I find this amazing.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm at 145k miles on my 07 TCH (bought in 2006). On my last oil change a few days ago, the service rep told I had 1mm left on my rear brake pad. However, the tech reported this:

25 Customer Pay Done PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION (FREE) FRONT BRAKES _8.0MM_ REAR BRAKES_4.0MM_____ TIRE PSI__32PSI___

I question this and apparently the tech was referring to the inner pad not the outer pad. How he was able to check that without taking the tire off, I want to know.

Anyway, when I got home, I took the rear drivers side tire off and lo-and-behold, I did have about 1-1.5 mm left on the inner pad. The outer pad looked to be about 3-4mm. I checked the other side (rear passenger) and the inner pad looked about 1.5-2mm and outer pad was 3-4 as well.

So I went ahead and replaced both rear brake pads.

Is uneven wear on the pads between the inner and outer typical? With the tire on, I can see the outer pad but inspecting the inner pad involves the removal of the tire and a small head (or a mirror)..

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Uneven wear on the inner and outer pads indicates poor or no lubrication on the sliding surfaces and pins. That is one of the reasons I pull mine every 40,000 miles or so to lube and inspect.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Professor Emeritus

I just rotated my tires again the other day at 153,000 and all the pads look the same as they did at 134,000. There is "at least" 70 to 80 percent left on all of them. I agree with GH though. Next time I rotate, I plan to pull the calipers, inspect everything, take pictures, lube slide pins, repaint the rotor hats and plasti-lube the backs of the pads.

I have to agree with others who have said that the brakes could out last the rest of the car. Or at least as long as I own it. I am planning to take it to at least 250,000 before I get rid of it. Hopefully the traction battery will hold out. I have already been looking for places to rebuild the battery in case it decides to crap out on me. No issues.... I just want to be ready.

If anyone knows of places that overhaul the traction battery in the South East, please post. I have found one up in NC that may be good. Still researching.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
I'm at 145k miles on my 07 TCH (bought in 2006). On my last oil change a few days ago, the service rep told I had 1mm left on my rear brake pad. However, the tech reported this:

25 Customer Pay Done PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION (FREE) FRONT BRAKES _8.0MM_ REAR BRAKES_4.0MM_____ TIRE PSI__32PSI___

I question this and apparently the tech was referring to the inner pad not the outer pad. How he was able to check that without taking the tire off, I want to know.

Anyway, when I got home, I took the rear drivers side tire off and lo-and-behold, I did have about 1-1.5 mm left on the inner pad. The outer pad looked to be about 3-4mm. I checked the other side (rear passenger) and the inner pad looked about 1.5-2mm and outer pad was 3-4 as well.

So I went ahead and replaced both rear brake pads.

Is uneven wear on the pads between the inner and outer typical? With the tire on, I can see the outer pad but inspecting the inner pad involves the removal of the tire and a small head (or a mirror)..
Uneven wear of the inside pad compared to the outside indicates the pads are not sliding evenly on the guides. Because they are used so little they can seize up. I recall this may have even been a recall issue with the early Camry hybrids? Toyota would know.

Agree with Georgia Hybrid, because the wear so little they tend to get neglected. Periodic cleaning and lubrication is what is needed to keep them working to a very long life.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Professor Emeritus

So, I pulled the rear tires yesterday to deal with a nail in one of them. While I was at it, I pulled the slide pins and pads and greased everything up. The pads are wearing even all the way around and are still at least 70 - 80% @ 156,000 miles. I also found the lower slide pin on the drivers side was stuck. But, the pads were wearing even. It must have just happened. The whole job took about 10 minutes on each side to clean and grease everything.

I plan to do the front in a couple days. Hopefully noting is stuck!

Edit: Here is the front too. Now @ 157,200 miles. All the slide pins on the front were stuck or VERY stiff. The grease had dried up.

TCHfrontbrakes157200miles.jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rear brakes.jpg (128.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by litespeed; 08-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My pads have lasted 120,000 miles so far.

Quick Reply: How Long Have Your Brakes Lasted?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands