How Long Must I Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How Long Must I Wait?

My daily commute is also very short, a little over 2 miles one way. I get over 40 mpg going and about 15 coming home. I've had the TCH since July 23rd. and I am only on my second tank of gas. I rarely drive the freeways so I'm in stop and go city driving 95% of the time.

The average mileage for my 1st tank was 26.7 mpg. If I can get that up to 30 mpg I will be a happy camper. Regardless I just love this car.

Mike

Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOFH
Just be aware that no matter which vehicle you get, the first few miles are going to be hard on the mileage. When an engine is cold the ECU will run it richer to try and warm it up faster, so no matter what the sticker in the window says the EPA number is, you will get much worse on a 2-3 mile commute.
I agree, but looking at the NEW EPA for jg013c current car and the TCH. You can see that jg013c observed FE of 22-23 to work (and 26 highway) is rather favorable even given the short distance.

2002 Rav4 - 21/23/26
2008 TCH - 33/34/34

Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I am wondering if short trips are harder on hybrid cars than regular low displacement cars like my current RAV4. This would be true if the short cold trips prevent the benefit of the hybrid technology. If the ICE doesn't get an opportunity to really warm up then perhaps the hybrid car acts like a normal car during short cold trips.

The gas engine of the Camry Hybrid has a displacement of 2.4L while my 2002 RAV4 has a displacement of 2.0L. So if short cold trips make little to no use of the hybrid features then I would be better off sticking with my RAV from a purely gas saving point of view.

Mike has seen decent millage from his TCH with only short trips but he is in southern California so he won't be starting his car in sub-freezing temperatures.

Of course my stated RAV4 millage is summer millage.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doasc
I agree, but looking at the NEW EPA for jg013c current car and the TCH. You can see that jg013c observed FE of 22-23 to work (and 26 highway) is rather favorable even given the short distance.

2002 Rav4 - 21/23/26
2008 TCH - 33/34/34

You are right. Also, if the car is used for more than just a short commute then the hybrid option may be valid. Not a great gain during the short commute, but the longer non-commute trips can sway the balance.

If the decission is only about the costs then keeping the Rav or replacing it with a new(er) one would probably be the better financial decission. If there are the non-tangible reasons in the mix (reducing polution, using less fuel) then the math gets much more 'interesting'

Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I finally received my car this past Wednesday and I love it! For those still waiting for their own TCH, I live in the metro NY area and waited 10 weeks to the day for my car.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

16 weeks from placing order to taking from dealership. (ordered through toyotavision.com. charged 'per option' rather than package. We had to wait longer, but got what exactly what we wanted without paying for options we didnt want. ie heated seats and mirrors while living in socal, but jbl without other upgrades

Old 10-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Recumbent Rider

I ordered my TCH in the middle of july and took delivery of it last Thursday. (Oct 9) I paid list price but had to take a car with alloy wheels and the interior package which brought the total price to just over 30,000. I had no color preference which the sales guy said moved me up the list. So, 2 1/2 months, which is just what they estimated it to be. I'm in central IL.