Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   How mount Garmin Nuvi 350 in CA? And a Q about dust (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/how-mount-garmin-nuvi-350-ca-q-about-dust-14468/)

KimikoPi 07-15-2007 07:23 PM

How mount Garmin Nuvi 350 in CA? And a Q about dust

In CA, suction-cup mounted devices on the windshield are prohibited. Anyway I think it would be ugly to have something on the windshield like that, but how else could I keep a Garmin Nuvi unit upright? I haven't bought it yet, but it's on sale at amazon and it looks like a great price.

Also, as I live in the desert, my new TCH collects dust like it's autographed baseballs. Is this truly bad for my car?

Tideland Prius 07-16-2007 08:39 AM

Re: How mount Garmin Nuvi 350 in CA? And a Q about dust

beanbag mount?

johnmhunt 07-16-2007 08:49 AM

There is an excellent Garmin Nuvi Forum in which this subject is discussed at length. Also good infoi on best dealers (not necessarily Amazon) BuyDig is wisely admired.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...p?FORUM_ID=172

hybrid_dsl 07-16-2007 11:05 AM

Check out the Proclip vent mount. I use it for another GPS system and it works pretty well. The position is a good balance of GPS reception and reachability.

spiff72 07-16-2007 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by KimikoPi (Post 134206)
Also, as I live in the desert, my new TCH collects dust like it's autographed baseballs. Is this truly bad for my car?

For the dust, I would get a California Car Duster. These do a great job of removing dust (provided it hasn't been rained on already). They work like a feather duster, but they have a mop-like yarn head that you lightly brush over the car. One the days that I use mine, it takes all of about 1 minute to swipe it across the whole car.

Desert climates would be perfect for this product - sadly, in my area, I don't get to use it that much, since once the dust gets rained on, it is stuck until the next washing.

Al Froio 07-19-2007 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius (Post 134250)
beanbag mount?

Best Buys was advertising the Garmin beanbag mount for 29.95 this past weekend. I went to buy one but it looked like a sack of potatoes so I passed on it.

skata 07-19-2007 03:43 PM

Even I have the Navigation System, I still can't part with my Garmin 10x. I have it mounted on the left vent with an Arkon universal vent mount. I am using a Dell Axim X51v PDA with the Garmin 10x receiver. Not sure of the size of the Nuvi, but I'm sure they would make a similar mount.

I have always used a vent mount or something similar that places the GPS below the dashboard and not so visible to passing vehicles.

Paulgw 07-19-2007 05:35 PM

After trying several different locations for my Garmin Nuvi 680 I found the neatest arrangement was to use the standard suction cup mount on top of the ashtray lid. This is the ashtray that Toyota supplies to fit in one of the cup holders. There is minimal exposed wiring just the short length needed to pass to the hole in the side of the consul to plug it into the power adapter in the CD storage box. Using this arrangement it is easy to remove the ashtray complete with GPS Mount so the car is less likely to be broken into by a would-be thief, also it can be easily rotated for driver or passenger viewing.