Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Intelligent burnout (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/intelligent-burnout-8194/)

stevenvillatoro 06-25-2006 11:45 PM

Intelligent burnout

Here's something interesting from Page 125 of the Owner's Manual.

"If the turn signal indicator lights (green lights) on the instrument panel flash faster than normal, a front or rear turn signal bulb is burned out.

gonavy 06-26-2006 03:28 AM

Re: Intelligent burnout

isn't that on most vehicles? I've had it on all the cars I've owned.

GeekGal 06-26-2006 06:31 AM

Most new vehicles, yes, although we had to look it up in our owner's manual for our '01 Ford F-150 when it started blinking like a coder/gamer after five Jolt colas!

bmgoodman 06-26-2006 06:50 AM

I think my old '73 Dodge Dart had this feature as well, but I won't swear to it.

jhfarr73 06-26-2006 07:14 AM

Yea this isn't all that special...my 83 GTI did it for sure.

stevenvillatoro 06-26-2006 09:41 AM

On most vehicles, eh? <Bashfully confessing> This is probably the first time I've ever read an Owner's Manual for a car... imagine all the things I might have learned before.

As Gilda Radner would have said, "Nevermind."

gandyfire 06-26-2006 06:48 PM

Steve....I am no engineer, but I think what happens is pretty simple. The bulb acts somewhat as a resistor and when one won't light there is less resistance and speeds up the flasher.

My son changed the turn signals in our old 91 camry to operate thru the parking lamps up top, installed driving lamps where the turn signals were and it really sped up the flasher!

Some of the older cars had a different type circuit and if one of the bulbs were out the other would not flash at all.

With all the gadgets on the TCH I think reading the owners manual is a must. That is why I joined Tundra Solutions and downloaded all the manuals, etc. to study before my car comes in. Especially for the NAV!!

Freeze 06-26-2006 08:06 PM

Steve,
I thought your thread was going to be about the TCH doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds and STILL getting 40 MPG. My mistake.;)