Japan Camry Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Japan Camry Accessories

O.K. One last post this morning....

Apparently, if you get the signal retro kit they also offer a heating add-on for those non-heated mirrors.

So, thoseof you with non-heated mirros looking to get turn signal mirror plates can also get the heated mirror feature. Looks like the whole tamale runs around $300. But, don't know the install or control. I imagine they provide info.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by meerkat
I like the mirrors with the turns embedded in the housing - not on the mirror plate. MUTH mirrors has aftermarket mirrors with the plate turn signals (like the original Ford Explorers started out with). However... they don't offer it for the Japan made TCH. Dunno why.

A seller out there offers that style for the TCH USA for about $190, half the cost of the housing turns. The MUTH site actually gives you installation directions so when mine come it should be easy to wreak havoc on my doors

Even if the turn housings had the tilt/power fold built into them - how would they be cotrolled (unless by some mystical, magical force it was all built in from the factory?). maybe the housings could be swapped with the fold/tilt mechanisms? But then, you'd have about $800 in side mirrors that some knucklehead would scrap into or get knocked off!

So, we wil see . . . .
The Japanese site says the tilt is operated by shifting into reverse. Folding is operated by the locking of the door.
Japanese cars must have extra/different wiring installed therefore the MUTH mirrors don't work.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

The MUTH mirrors look to be "plate" replacements only. I wouldn't expect any fancy features other then the signal feature - and then the add-on heated feature.

I wonder too if our Japan built TCH is really wired the same (or pre-wired) since they are built to USA standards.

It would be totally cool if all the deatures were wired in from the get-go.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

i know that a lot of cars, especially cars sold in Asian countries such as Hong Kong (That's where I am from) has folded mirrors, not because they look cool, but for practical reason that our parking spaces are smaller than those in US. In order to minimize the chance of knocking out (i guess) or damaging side mirrors, both side mirrors can be folded inwards with a press of a button.
Besides folding side mirrors, the passanger side mirror (I am not sure about the camry) will tilt down when a reverse gear is used. Here in the states we usually just drive into the parking space, but in Hong Kong, we reverse to the parking space. With the ability of tilting down the passanger side mirror, we can look at the parking box while reversing into the space.
I think side mirror with turning sign is just a touch of luxury and it sure makes our camry more elegant.
I notice one more thing I can see in HK's camry but not in our camry: They got a electric shade as an option at the back window. If i remember correctly, with a press of a button (May be manually pulling it up), the shade will come up at the back window, which i think is cool and very useful for blocking the sun when parking our camry outdoor. I am surprised we do not have this as an option here.

Well.. HK still haven't imported any Camry Hybrid though~

Old 04-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Hooked on Hybrid

Thanks for the info Brian! I can't tell if they will have a convex mirror on the passengers side -- which will be drivers side for us. Guess getting them in hand will tell.... good luck on the project!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Well....It's been 6 weeks!!
<< got mirrors? >>

Originally Posted by meerkat
Well, I took the plunge... I went ahead and ordered the mirrors

Cost: A little over $400
Delivery time (from Japan): 6-8 weeks!

I contacted the dealer in CA (Carson Toyota) that is selling these and asked the questions all of us have. According to them, the mirrors have all the options built into them that would normally come with a fully loaded Camry (as far as the mirrors are concerned). Wired for power, pre-painted to your car color (must specify), heated, AND suppose to be "plug-n-play" for the turn signal option (if your car was made in Japan).

Also, (Gee - there's more!?) YES! These fold in! I was curious about the power fold mention but who knows. Maybe when the car is shut off they fold in automatically?

All this according to the dealer (which seemed VERY knowledgable about them). But, we also know how dealers can be They say it should be a very simple swap - unplug one and plug the new one in (I dunno about all that though...).

So, we'll see what happens in 6-8 weeks and I'll report back.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Here is a link to a google translation of the page that shows the mirror folding and moving when in reverse...

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Not sure what the prices are for or if these are features for the mirrors that meerkat ordered
I just went to look at the google-translated page, and this is the description that I saw:
When the shifter is designated as “R”, the door mirror mirror surface of suicide seat side
I wonder which is the "suicide seat".

Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well . . . . Not yet.

I called the dealer on Tuesday and they said that the overseas items had been received and needed to match them up with orders (mine is one - woohoo!) and then they'll ship it out. Since they are on the west coast and I am on the east, it'll probably be (at best) end of next week - and that is IF they ship it out soon (today?).

Looks to be a pretty easy swap though - but we'll see....

I'll make sure to either let y'all know in this post or (if they are REALLY cool) put a new post with pics.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sad news - a setback. I found out today that the mirrors are not available in my color (4Q2 - Desert Sand Mica) in Japan. That color is no longer used in Japan apparently. So, 6 weeks of waiting and nothing more than frustration.

Now, on the other side - they say they can order a white set and then get them painted to match the 4Q2 color of my car (yeah, for an additional $125 ). Why is everything so problematic?

So i think I'll be taking the weekend to mull it over and think if I really need/want turn signal mirrors on the car. I like the looks & styling - just the price (it would total over $525) is a "gotcha".

Old 06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that, Meerkat! I feel for you! It is truly hard to deal with the anticipation this long, then get zapped! Oh well.... I was hoping to hear good things about your mirrors, as I have a Desert Sand TCH also....Thanks for letting us know!

Quick Reply: Japan Camry Accessories

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands