Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Lines on Dash - Passenger Side - Airbag? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/lines-dash-passenger-side-airbag-10042/)

RCFlyer 09-19-2006 03:16 PM

Lines on Dash - Passenger Side - Airbag?

Do any of you have these faint lines on the dash? I'm wondering if that is where the airbag deploys or is it a manufacturing issue.... They kind of form a large hexgaon/polygon.....

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...9/IMG_0173.JPG

spiff72 09-19-2006 05:13 PM

Re: Lines on Dash - Passenger Side - Airbag?

I haven't noticed that, but I haven't really looked. It does look like the thin areas that weaken the dash so it can deploy properly.

vioarc 09-19-2006 05:38 PM

No defect -- the cris-cross "XXXXX" pattern on the underside weakens the plastic so the airbag can deploy -- more visible under different light conditions.

RCFlyer 09-19-2006 09:34 PM

Wow - get in an accident - even a minor one and you have to replace the whole dash board....of course your life is more an important than a dash board!!! :)

misbe 10-25-2007 09:08 PM

Yes, the cross should be there. No, you should not be able to see it. This is a defect, and one that the OEM would be complaining to their supplier of the instrument panel (dash) about.

I have an area of white powder, about 1/4" diameter, that keeps appearing on the passenger side dash. It is referred to as "blooming" in the polymer world. Does anyone else have this issue?

cast_and_blast 10-26-2007 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyer (Post 88624)
Wow - get in an accident - even a minor one and you have to replace the whole dash board....of course your life is more an important than a dash board!!! :)

Odds are that if the airbags deploy the vehicle will be totaled anyway - replacing airbags with OEM parts is VERY expensive. I had an accident a number of yearrs ago where the bags in the Toyota van I was driving deployed. When I spoke with the adjuster he claimed that in the 7 years he had been doing claims he had yet to see an instance where the bags deployed and the vehicle was not declared a total loss by the insurance company (American Family in this case).

Scott

VBsportbiker 11-08-2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by misbe (Post 147715)
Yes, the cross should be there. No, you should not be able to see it. This is a defect, and one that the OEM would be complaining to their supplier of the instrument panel (dash) about.

I have an area of white powder, about 1/4" diameter, that keeps appearing on the passenger side dash. It is referred to as "blooming" in the polymer world. Does anyone else have this issue?

Hey MISBE do you have a picture of this???

misbe 11-09-2007 06:15 PM

Unfortunately, no. I cleaned it up, but I expect it will come back again. When it does, I'll post a picture.

Pete4 11-10-2007 02:15 PM

My car, when brand new had no sign of any dashboard cuts at all, now I can see them on passenger side and little bit on the steering wheel. I would speculate summer heat made plastic softer and sink a little where cuts are made. I don't think I will be trying to replace it under warranty either, as it doesn't bother me at all, but I agree it shouldn't be so visible.

giantquesadilla 11-10-2007 08:37 PM

RCFlyer: Have you taken this in yet? My friend has airbag lines showing and I was wondering if the dealership did anything.

VBsportbiker 11-13-2007 01:16 AM

This thread brings up a good point. Modern cars, with the hidden airbags (gone are the panels and grooves that drew attention to them) and dashes made with modern, recyclable materials... almost necessitate the need for a good sunvisor and to use it regularly. The environmentally friendly materials that are in today's cars are thiner, more delicate... and in some ways more succeptable to damage from the sun/ect.