Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Low city mileage (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/low-city-mileage-8558/)

H2O Doctor 07-14-2006 06:51 PM

Low city mileage

In looking at the Consumer Report on the TCH, they indicate they got 41 mpg on the Highway and 28 mpg in the city and report an average of 34 mpg.

The database here indicates an average which is higher - currently 37 mpg.

My question is does anyone know the protocall CR uses for city driving? They must do a lot of rapid acceleration from the stop signs with A/C on to get such low mileage.

WVGasGuy 07-14-2006 07:41 PM

Re: Low city mileage

I can't imagine averaging 28 mpg unless you simply refuse to allow the battery to do its stuff. I don't drive in a city often. I did this weekend drive in Charleston WV, which is no Chicago or NYC, but after an interstate drive from central WV I was averaging 41.5 when I got to town. I was able to get it up to 43.9 driving around town at less than 25 mph. On the trip home my average was 40 (elevation difference) and the overall tank was around 41. Yes I did drive slow and worked to hit the number, but it wasn't that hard.

I still find myself accelerating, either on rural roads or interstate, and will look at the FE gage and see a number between 25 and 30; then I let off the gas and lightly reapply and the gage drops to 40 to 45 and didn't drop speed.

To get the best numbers you have to pay attention, to get 28 mpg you'd have to let a teen ager drive it.

GreenHawaii 07-14-2006 07:45 PM

I suspect the testers didn't do anything out of the ordinary to increase gas mileage, like most TCH owners learn to do. You can burn up a lot of gas in the city if you keep hitting red lights and accelerate to the next stoplight without getting a chance to cruise on electric. I'm currently on my fourth tank of gas and am averaging 38.5 mpg, that's city, freeway, and lots of stop and go traffic on both.

WVGasGuy 07-14-2006 07:56 PM

I'm currently on my fourth tank of gas and am averaging 38.5 mpg,

I'm guessing it will get even better. I'm over 6700 miles now and except for when I'm in the mountains I'm able to see 41+

GreenHawaii 07-14-2006 08:14 PM

I'm happy with 38.5 but it would be great if it got better.

My day now starts off on a high note if I get to work and have averaged 40 or 42 mpg, which seems to be the highest my display shows (a non-navigation system). If I get less than 37 mpg when I have reached work, a 16-mile drive, I'm bummed. Talk about starting the day off on the wrong foot!

MFLetou 07-14-2006 09:09 PM

I still get a kick out of the fact that thing grades you and rewards you with an "excellent" over 35 mpg or whatever it is....

I don't know how they got 28 mpg...some days I really couldn't be rougher on it for FE and still end up well over 30...

My third take is now up slightly, to the 35's...I was at 34.2. I'm not doing anything differently, though...

jjfcincy 07-16-2006 07:59 PM

Just picked up my TCH a day ago and have driven (city only) about 90 miles and only getting 28 FE for the tank so far. Maybe the AC running full blast (94 degress) has something to do with it. Not accelerating too hard. Hope FE starts improving soon. Live in a hilly part of Cincinnati.

GreenHawaii 07-17-2006 12:59 AM

Then you should get poor mileage going up the hills but great mileage coming down! Put the AC on the ECO mode (button is by your left knee) to save on gas.

lem144 07-17-2006 05:51 AM

I'm realizing that if you drive the TCH like a regular Camry, gas mileage is not that great. Maybe 20-25% better. Consider my old 1993 Camry SE V6. I would get around 18mpg in ALL city driving and 26mpg in all highway driving.

Now, if I drive the TCH like the V6 SE in all city driving, I would be maybe in the low 20s if I'm lucky. I've taken trips where the ECO DRIVE gauge never lights up (non NAV) model, indicating low 20s. That's being semi generous too, because being in the TCH I am more attuned to where my right foot is. This I imagine is very much equal to the performance of a new 4-cyl Camry in city driving (it's rated at 24 mpg). Keep in mind the TCH weighs 4000 POUNDS! That's a lot of mass to carry around at slow speeds/short distances.

On the highway though, above 60-65 mph, the TCH shines, regularly staying above 40mpg, and definitely 50% better than the old V6 SE I had. Of course, if I had a 4-cyl Camry (new) id be doing 34-35 mpg on the highway. I just drove up to Maine yesterday and noticed that cruising in the 45-60mph range is not that great, especially if you're accelerating/decelerating and have hills/other cars in front of you. At least going 65+ on the interstate gives plenty of warning to speed up if approaching a hill so as not to use the gas much and coasting down hill. The 30-40mph range seems to be nice too, as the ICE turns off completely and feathering the accelerator leads to electric mode only.

Ok...those are my observations coming from 7xx miles.

TKCamry 07-17-2006 06:15 AM

I drive my TCH exactly the same as I drove my 2000 Pontiac Bonneville V6 in a mix of city/suburban/highway driving. And instead of getting a mixed 22 MPG, I am now getting better than 36 MPG, a better than 50% improvement. And in straight hghway driving, I am going from 28 MPG to 41 MPG. Again a 50% improvement. Hardly what I would call miserable.