Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Lurch When Motor Turned Off??? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/lurch-when-motor-turned-off-23829/)

wbray123 02-05-2010 05:36 PM

Lurch When Motor Turned Off???

My 2008 TCH has about 27000 miles. I stopped my car on a level hard surface, placed the car in park and pressed the button to turn off the motor. The engine died and the car lurched forward noticeably. I could not tell if the wheels moved. If so, probably no more than an inch or so. I think this has happened before, maybe once. I may not have paid attention except for the break and accelerator issues. Is this a problem? What might have happened?

McGyver 02-05-2010 08:52 PM

Re: Lurch When Motor Turned Off???

On the face of it, this seems impossible. Perhaps it was the steering or shift lock engaging a bit rough. That might account for a tug on the steering wheel or a slight rocking of the engine mounts. But actual forward movement under those conditions? Nah.

I have experienced cases where I punch the off button just as the engine is starting due to heat or charging requirements. That also produces a wonky moment.

wbray123 02-06-2010 02:38 PM

OK. I was inside the car and felt forward momentum. Maybe the wheels did not turn. Or... I've got bragging rights. My car did the impossible!:)

Smilin' Jack 02-06-2010 02:49 PM

Yes, unfortunately, the TCH can - and sometimes does - "lurch forward" an inch or so while shutting down and in Park.

I experienced this the first day I had my car, after parking too close under a low, sloping shelf support in my garage. I documented the movement with a crude scratch gauge (if you know what I mean). Unfortunately I can not provide the documentation. The body shop buffed it out.

wwest 02-06-2010 05:29 PM

When you are "parked" with the gas engine idling the gearbox "neutral" effect is accomplished by running the electric motor(s) in opposition to the engine drive. What you probably felt, and will probably feel fairly often if you do not have a firm foot on the brake pedal, is the gas engine coming to a full stop a bit faster than the electric motor(s) inertia stops their rotation.

happydaytina 02-15-2010 09:21 PM

Cambry Hybrid LURCHES forward in PARK

My 2009 Camry Hybrid lurches forward, quite noticeably, when I put the car in PARK. It seems to do it when the motor switches from hybrid to gas or vice versa.

For example, if I am sitting in carpool at my son's school and put the car in park, enevitably it will LURCH FORWARD quite a bit. It freaks me out!

Does this happen to anyone else while in park? Does anyone know if this is normal, or what causes it? :confused:

SteveHansen 02-15-2010 10:49 PM

My 2008 does the same thing. I think this happens because the change in the ICE RPMs is not perfectly coordinated with a counter-balancing change in the electric motor RPMs.

I have developed a habit of having my foot on the brake when I turn it on or off, and when I shift into or out of park.

chasm2 02-16-2010 03:58 AM

Couldn't this be like any other automatic transmission when placed in Park. It seems all vehicles with automatic transmissions will move a small amount when in Park.

GreenRedTCH 02-16-2010 11:51 AM

Yeah mine lurches a bit sometimes when I turn the ignition off. Not always but occasionally. It only seems to happen when the ICE is running so I think it is the asynchronous nature of the shutdown. It's not a problem for me. Just the nature of the beast.

GeorgiaHybrid 02-16-2010 07:35 PM

Re: Cambry Hybrid LURCHES forward in PARK

Originally Posted by happydaytina (Post 218776)
My 2009 Camry Hybrid lurches forward, quite noticeably, when I put the car in PARK. It seems to do it when the motor switches from hybrid to gas or vice versa.

For example, if I am sitting in carpool at my son's school and put the car in park, enevitably it will LURCH FORWARD quite a bit. It freaks me out!

Does this happen to anyone else while in park? Does anyone know if this is normal, or what causes it? :confused:

Try keeping your foot on the brake...... That is what it is for. Once in park, the pawl that engages the parking lock will allow a VERY slight movement of the car (maybe an inch or so) until it is fully engaged. There is NO WAY it will "lurch forward quite a bit".