Major Decrease in Mileage..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Major Decrease in Mileage..

Having experienced exactly the same problem, I've deduced that contributors to lowered gas mileage are high ambient temps, high humidity, the HVAC working much harder on a brilliantly sunny day at 100F, and sitting in traffic. The biggest Amp-Sucker are the radiator/condenser fans.

I was sitting at the CVS drive through waiting to pick up a couple scripts. Very quiet there and I had the window down and the A/C on RECIRC about 68-70. Suddenly the rad fans cut in. Yep... sounded like an F-4 taching up. Out of morbid curiosity, I set the MFD on the 'battery' setting. I could not believe how fast the battery was flattened. The ICE cut in and it took forever... even driving it ... to get it back to a reasonable charge.

I'd say its the rad fans sucking the life out of the mileage.

Just a thought....

Cheers!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
old fart
Default Re: Major Decrease in Mileage..

rburt07
From time to time i have used gas from sams club but try to keep with chevron.last couple fills were with texaco.
I am fortunate that my wife works for toyota in qual control.and along with the emp.discount and the rebates i have had a 05 and 06 prius in the past.traded from the 05 to the o6 for $50.00 on the road.The prius was a great car but the seats didnt like my bursitis.had and 07 and 08 blue camry hybrid and got hit 3 times each so got rid of blue and now gone to white.
I have put a lot of miles on them and milage was consistent till the last few months and went to hell. I have always used nitrogen and keep my tires per factory specs.I dont drive to get great milage but drive it like i would any other car except the hybrids have taught me to feather the gas pedel so do that automatic.
when i go home to mich. the gas mileage is much better.
I have to blame it on the junk gas we have lately.
I wish the government would just use one type of gas all over the USA instead of one for calif etc.here in ky they use the better grade in Louisville and the other for most of Ky.I think if they were to do that we would be able to get gas from any plant and no more shortage anywhere, but that would be to simple for the gov.to do. thanks for the advise catchya later