"marble" in my dash all of a sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "marble" in my dash all of a sudden?

I got my dash rattles fixed yesterday. I stuffed some card board for about a month but finally got time to go to the service center to get it fixed.

They did not take the whole dash out. The procedure took about a day but since it started snowing here in MD they coudlnt road test the car, so i left it over night.

I am very happy with the results!! I think its totally worth it since its free, no scratches/marks or anything, car looks same as before.

I went to 355 toyotas in Rockville, MD

Old 04-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: "marble" in my dash all of a sudden?

Wow, thanks for the tip. I had an annoying dash rattle that was getting slowly worse over time. It was especially annoying when I would drive through residential subdivisions that had roads made with sections of concrete. Every time I would go over those little gaps between the lines in the concrete I would get that annoying thwack sound in the dash, like something was loose.
I saw this post and while at Menards paid $1.97 for a piece of grey open-cell poly foam Comfort Seal air conditioner seal that measures 42" long by 1 1/4" x 1 1/4". Its intended use it to put around window air conditioner units to prevent leakage between the a/c unit and the window sash.
With a wooden paint stirring stick I slid it down between the glass and the dash, so far that you really can't see it.
So far in my test driver there ARE NO RATTLES. I was really uneasy about going the TSB route and having a tech completely take apart the dash assembly. I couldn't be happier with this cure. Now the only question is will it continue to work in cold weather. Because the insulation is so tight I am not sure temperature will have much of an effect.
Oh, by the way, the strip of foam rubber wasn't wide enough to go all the way across the windshield, but it didn't matter. My TCH is one of the 2007 models that was made in Kentucky, so I'm not sure if this is a problem any more for the newer models. Probably not.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The windshield defogger air is blown through the gap between the dash and the windshield. If you fill the whole gap with foam or felt, you will likely cure the clicking noise, but will get absolutely no defogging! It's best to fit four short pieces of material into this gap, two adjacent to the tweeter grilles, and two crossing the junctions between the dash proper and the removable central "cover" over the clock. That seems to have worked for me so far.

Stan

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
The windshield defogger air is blown through the gap between the dash and the windshield. If you fill the whole gap with foam or felt, you will likely cure the clicking noise, but will get absolutely no defogging! It's best to fit four short pieces of material into this gap, two adjacent to the tweeter grilles, and two crossing the junctions between the dash proper and the removable central "cover" over the clock. That seems to have worked for me so far.

Stan
I did that and it worked for the most part. On some really cold days it would come back. But I have a new one. The driver side speaker cover seems to be vibrating with the ICE and some road vibration. If I press on it it goes away (I think). Should I shove some foam between that and the windshield or remove the cover and felt it?

Also, I always thought the air came from the big vent between the clock and the windshield. I guess that must be the return?