Mysterious trunk door openings

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mysterious trunk door openings

Just joining in on the conversation here....
I'll have my TCH exactly one year at the end of November. I park my car in the garage every evening. On at least three occasions and quite possibly as many as five, I've gone into the garage in the morning and found the trunk open. I honestly can't rule out accidental key press while I transfer the FOB from my pocket to the place I keep my keys in the house...but I also can't rule out something else is going on here...because it does require a long time of holding the button down before the trunk actually opens. Also, this mysterious trunk opening has only occurred while at my house in my garage.
To pacify myself, I've rationalized it *must* be due to an accidental key press, but now that I see this thread perhaps something else is going on...or at least the I'll be paying much more attention to how I handle the smartkey FOB.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thatchrisguy
Just joining in on the conversation here....
I'll have my TCH exactly one year at the end of November. I park my car in the garage every evening. On at least three occasions and quite possibly as many as five, I've gone into the garage in the morning and found the trunk open. I honestly can't rule out accidental key press while I transfer the FOB from my pocket to the place I keep my keys in the house...but I also can't rule out something else is going on here...because it does require a long time of holding the button down before the trunk actually opens. Also, this mysterious trunk opening has only occurred while at my house in my garage.
To pacify myself, I've rationalized it *must* be due to an accidental key press, but now that I see this thread perhaps something else is going on...or at least the I'll be paying much more attention to how I handle the smartkey FOB.
The smart key button for the trunk can be reprogramed to require two pushes of the button instead of one long push. Has anyone having this problem tried this. This could cure the problem even if it is interference from some unknown area or accidental button push. Worth a try.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Green Guy

Just when I was starting to wonder if my two unexplained trunk openings were pocket accidents, based on the experiences reported here, I had a new adventure with the fob today. When getting into the car using smart key after a trip to the store, the panic alarm went off. The fob was in my coat pocket, with no pressure against it. This was not operator error.

Although I accept that there are pocket accidents, I'm now certain the remote can be triggered by other means.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Not a fix, but a workaround: utilize the Valet mode by removing the hard key, putting it in the trunk lock, and turning counterclockwise 90 degrees. This disables trunk access by all means except the hard key: the fob button, trunk release, and cable pull are all disabled. A true pain in the neck, but a most certain way to keep that trunk closed.

Another note: the TCH will emit a long beep if you open the trunk with the fob button. No sound is emitted if you use the trunk release or cable pull.

Panic alarms going off on their own will require a seance.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by skywagon
Not the trunk but all kinds of crazy chit has happened. Garage doors opening and closing in middle of nite, electronic gate doing the same at times, I have left the car at my other place and everything is ok when car is not at home. Must be something to do with frequencies. Garage doors and gate have the security (rolling codes). Also Have been inside of stores and the horn starts blowing like the alarm going off with no one around. There is a lot of spooky chit with these cars. At my Docs office another fellow has a TCH and he cannot unlock his car at times and I can parked rite beside him, figure that out. He also says his skylite opens randomly and the %itch on the phone menu swears at him at times lol
Sounds like a exorcism is in order.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Freeze
Not a fix, but a workaround: utilize the Valet mode by removing the hard key, putting it in the trunk lock, and turning counterclockwise 90 degrees. This disables trunk access by all means except the hard key: the fob button, trunk release, and cable pull are all disabled. A true pain in the neck, but a most certain way to keep that trunk closed.

Another note: the TCH will emit a long beep if you open the trunk with the fob button. No sound is emitted if you use the trunk release or cable pull.

Panic alarms going off on their own will require a seance.
What do you mean by "cable pull"?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Sounds like a exorcism is in order.
I wonder if the car's name is Christine.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

definitely not Eleanor!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
What do you mean by "cable pull"?

safety device in trunk. neon green handle

Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Aliens in UFO's are doing it!!! LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Mysterious trunk door openings

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands