? for Navigation Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: A big favour to ask of our American friends.....

Originally Posted by Dang
Gang...

Can someone with a Hybrid and a Nav that has the energy screen try a test for me. This won't do anything to your nav, so don't worry. This will help us Canadians figure out what Toyota is doing.

Go into the diagnostic menu.
To do this, press the power button so it's on. (acc is fine, you don't have to start it.)
Hold the INFO button on the Nav, then turn the headlights on and off three times. (actually, parking lights are fine.)

You should now be in the diagnostic menu.

"Somewhere" in there is a CAN connection check. I think it may be under the "Navigation Check" menu item, but not sure. The manual is really bad on this.

Try pressing the "Menu" button on the touch screen to get to the home screen, then press the "Display Check" on the screen, then press the "Vehicle Signal Check" button on screen. That should show things like battery voltage, park brake on, speed, etc., but somewhere near there is a CAN check. If it's not in this menu, it should be in there somewhere. If you find this menu, if you can let me know how you got there.

What I'm looking for is a screen that says "CAN Connection check", and will probably say CAN Connection OK. This screen does not exist in my unit, and I think is the key for the energy screen.

One last check while you are in there. Get back to the home menu. Press the "Navigation Check" button on the touch screen, then press the "Parts Information" button on the touch screen. Let me know what numbers are in there.

I think the first part number is the firmware, and the second is the disk.

Mine is:
NAVI Information
DENSO

Disk Information
DENSO
V06.05.11

I suspect the first number might be different in the units for hybrids. The second may be different depending what version of disk you have.

To get out of the diagnostic menu, simply hold your DISP button for about 3 seconds and you'll be back to normal.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

It will really help narrow this down.

Dan
Hi Dan,

As you know I installed my own nav in a Canadian Camry hybrid.
As I have two nav dvd's, a 6.1 that came with the unit and a 5.1/6.1 (5.1 loading.kwi file and 6.1 map data ) hybrid disc, I thought I would see the difference if any on the info screen that you mention.
When the hybrid disc is installed it reads :

NAVI Information
DENSO

Disk Information
DENSO
V06.05.10

And with the 6.1 disc :

NAVI Information
DENSO

Disk Information
DENSO
V06.05.10

There is no CAN connection check screen to be found.
Although this info is not from an American Camry hybrid I thought it may help.

Good luck with your dealer !

Rick

Old 01-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ? for Navigation Owners

Thanks Rick!

Rats on the first number though. Sounds like it was a software version or something like that. I was rather hoping it would be the firmware.

Thanks!

Dan

Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Rick!

Rats on the first number though. Sounds like it was a software version or something like that. I was rather hoping it would be the firmware.

Thanks!

Dan

It can still be a firmware version number.
To change from the 6.1 disc to the 5.1 disc you first have to remove power from the nav unit, It then goes through the process of loading the "new" software.
Changing up to the 6.1 disc once again reloads the software, but without the need of removing power from the nav unit.
If you only have one disc you can remove power from the nav and see the loading of the software on the nav screen when it is turned back on.
Be aware though you will have to program the radio presets etc.

Rick

Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rick...

Could be, and here's hoping the versions with the enery screen come up with some different number.

There's firmware and then there's firmware. Again I'm not as familiar with DENSO nav systems, but on the other ones I've worked with, the software it's loading when you insert a different version of the disk is sort of like the executable map software. The firmware I'm thinking of is more like the operating system. Think of the new disk as loading a patch into Word, while the "OS" firmware is like loading a patch into Windows. On the ones I have for VDO, it actually shuts down the NAV's OS, and goes into sort of a boot loader mode, and there is no way to get the nav to operate again until you load it's operating system.

Later!

Dan

Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, I was wondering if someone had an "extra" 5.1 DVD available ?

I was hoping to try to mix the features to let me use the NAV & phone while driving (carefully of course).

Thanx!

Old 01-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

I'd love to get a copy of the 5.1 navigation disc for the hybrid.
the 5.1 allows for the overide feature. the 6.1 eliminated this feature.

i'd like to try to pull the overide feature off of the 5.1 disc and install it on a new 6.1 disc.

Anyone able to send me a copy of the 5.1 disc? If I'm successful, I'll send back a copy of a disc that will be the 6.1 with the overide feature.

i've got a black TCH, light grey leather, nav, sun roof, xm, 18" chrome wheels w/michelins, tinted glass all around, mud guards, spoiler, alarm. The only option I don't have is the remote start - I live in sunny Southern California and have no use for that.

I've got 650 miles on this great car, and can't wait for my first big trip.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

....and both you guys should have the energy screen, so could do the "test". (...hint hint)

I don't "personally" have the 5.1 disk, my unit came with 6.1.

Thanks!

Dan

Old 01-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A big favour to ask of our American friends.....

Gang...

Mine is:
NAVI Information
DENSO

Disk Information
DENSO
V06.05.11

I suspect the first number might be different in the units for hybrids. The second may be different depending what version of disk you have.

To get out of the diagnostic menu, simply hold your DISP button for about 3 seconds and you'll be back to normal.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

It will really help narrow this down.

Dan
I just checked, here are my specs., bought in California in August 07. Originaly came with 5.1 map dvd, now running 5.1+6.1 hybrid dvd.

NAVI Information
DENSO

Disk Information
DENSO
with 5.1 original dvd= V05.01.17
with hybrid dvd = V06.05.12

CAN connection OK

one interesting observation for you: when just turned on the radio/nav without starting the car CAN connection did not say OK. After pressing the start button twice checked agian, CAN conncetion OK now.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks very much for doing the test. That makes sense on the CAN signal. I "think" if the ECU was not running, it would not report OK.

Just to clarify, how did you get to that screen?

Thanks!

Dan

Old 01-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks very much for doing the test. That makes sense on the CAN signal. I "think" if the ECU was not running, it would not report OK.

Just to clarify, how did you get to that screen?

Thanks!

Dan
There are different ways to get to the diag. screen. One way is, the way you mentioned, turning the ligths off/on, and another softer way. I started a thread about the other way, a while back:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11376

Once in diag. mode, click (press) on Navigation Check and then click on CAN check.... I think. BTW, what does CAN stand for?

Last edited by jagbagri; 01-07-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: ? for Navigation Owners

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands