No comments necessary_ Speedo and Odo Error

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No comments necessary_ Speedo and Odo Error

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I'm still hand calculating my FE, but at the bottom of my personal spreadsheet I am adding a one line calculation for "corrected FE" (with a 1.5% additional miles included in the hand calculation.
Wow, I was wondering why my hand-calculated FE was consistently 3% lower than the OBD. I just put in the same "adjusted 1.5% miles" calculation into my spreadsheet, and now my hand-FE is within 1% of the OBD. Still doesn't explain why I'm still 5% lower than the OBD on my last two tanks after over-inflating my tires, but that's another discussion!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by David Price
Jbollt: The speedo read 70 but the GPS read only 67 and the trip, according to the GPS, was 61.9 miles but the Trip B display was only 69.0 miles. Sorry about the confusion.
I think there is a typo here. 69.0 - 61.9 is a big difference. You said the odometer read 0.9 miles less than the actual distance. It seems quite odd that the odometer would read low, yet the speedometer reads high (70mph vs 67mph via your GPS)

Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Nash: There is a typo error, it should 61.0, (odo),and 61.9,(GPS).
Thanks for pointing out this error.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
It seems quite odd that the odometer would read low, yet the speedometer reads high (70mph vs 67mph via your GPS)
The speedometer reading is intentionally biased but the odometer is not.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

The speedometer shows 70mph, but the SGII shows 67mph, so the ECU actually knows the actual speed of 67 and displaces the speed at 70.

I think the odometer will be accurate as the ECU knows the actual speed or distance traveled.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
Just out of curiosity, since my speedo has been bang on with my GPS, I'm wondering if all of you speedo-challenged folks get e-mode past 42mph indicated then? Mine usually shows an ICE spin up at around 41mph.

Mine kicks in around 44-45 mph

Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

I use a GPS worn on my wrist with a built-in barometer (Garmin forerunner 205) when I run that helps minimize the error of a GPS reading when multiple elevation changes are involved. I have a freind who also runs with a GPS, but it is a marine GPS (no barometer since it thinks you are always at sea level) and his reading differ by about ~.08 per mile on relatively flat areas, but the change is more drastic in relation to extreme changes in terrain. I am wondering which car devices have this added feature. I doubt my garmin street-pilot has this. Just wanting to put my 2 cents in FWIW.

http://wiki.motionbased.com/mb/GPS_Unit_Elevation

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0560.html

Last edited by mfsandli; 10-02-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add second link
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but I am still upset over this "intentional" speedometer error. It is by far, the thing I most dislike about my TCH.

I recently rented a new Toyota Yaris. I know, it was cheap, and I only needed basic transportation from airport to hotel for two people, beside, it gave me an opportunity to see what other cars are like that get over 30mpg in the city. Anyway, it wasn't bad for what I needed it for, but I couldn't get used to the speedo in the center of the dash.

Back on subject...the speedo read the exact same speed as my Garmin. Soooo... If a very LOW-tech car also built by Toyota, and also sold internationally, has an accurate speedo, why, oh why, doesn't our high-tech TCH have an accurate speedo? WHY?????!!!

OK, finished Ranting

Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 AM

You can corrert your speedo empirically. Just inflate your tires to various, different, pressures until you find the one that makes the speedo/odo correct. Of you could wait until the tire tread wears down to the "correct" circumference....

Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
WHY?????!!!
Do you know what model year the Yaris is?

Anyway, let me explain what's going on in Japan.
Japanese government decided to follow the UN ECE regulation No.39 in 2001, and they set the transition period until 2006. It became mandatory to follow the regulation for vehicles sold in Japan after January 1st 2007.
The speedometer value on the 2001-2003 Prius was set very accurate, then it has a few % higher offset on the 2004 and later Prius.

Does anyone have any information how the US government sets the speedometer regulation?

Ken@Japan

Quick Reply: No comments necessary_ Speedo and Odo Error

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands