Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Nokian Nordman 2 tires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/nokian-nordman-2-tires-16440/)

KTLane 12-20-2007 06:46 AM

Nokian Nordman 2 tires

So, has anyone ever heard of these tires? I'm going to Boston on Christmas and these are the only tires my tire place was able to get in stock by then? I've googled them but I haven't found anything useful other than that they're able to be studded. I assume since they're nokians they must be good, but I was just wondering if anyone's used them, or knows someone who's used them?

Thanks!

wxman3 12-20-2007 09:02 AM

Re: Nokian Nordman 2 tires

Try and find some Hankook 727's. AWESOME quiet ride, and fantastic in snow and ice. They also have a 100,000 mile warranty.

Gairwyn 12-20-2007 09:31 AM

I have Nokian snow tires on my HCH, although a different model of tire (Hakkapeliitta RSi). They seem to be very good in snow and slippery conditions so far. I may be taking a bit of a hit in my mpg's, but I haven't calculated for a full tank yet, so I don't know how much. But I do feel much safer driving with these snow tires in winter.

http://nokiantires.com/en/tire_nordm...?season=winter

rmorrow 12-20-2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by KTLane (Post 154895)
So, has anyone ever heard of these tires? I'm going to Boston on Christmas...

Off-topic, but whereabouts in Boston? I'm going to be there on the 27th-29th.

KTLane 12-20-2007 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 154924)
Off-topic, but whereabouts in Boston? I'm going to be there on the 27th-29th.

Going to the airport :shade: I'm heading to Atlanta to take a test to become an Air Traffic Controller. Boston was the only airport that didn't have days blacked out for frequent flyer miles near christmas (the test is the 27th). I'm coming back the 28th!

Are you bringing your hybrid?

rmorrow 12-20-2007 10:13 AM

Very neat. Good luck with the test!

Yup, I'll be bringing my hybrid - I don't leave home without it!:D

KTLane 12-20-2007 12:03 PM

I'm bringing mine too, I'm nervous to leave it though, last time I left my car in a parking garage in MA someone smashed out my windows and I had to drive 4 hours home in a blizzard with a blanket covering the gaping holes left by the vandals :( in a hyundai accent. I mean it's bad enough just driving that, but with blankets instead of windows it was downright deathly!

chestr 12-20-2007 12:06 PM

Hey some of us are in Boston full-time! ;) And it just keeps snowing and snowing... Just glad I'm not in Maine at the moment. Hope driving up for Christmas it'll be clear going!

KTLane 12-20-2007 12:08 PM

I hope to be in Boston full time soon too!!

we have so much snow here it's halfway up the windows on the first floor of our house!

I HATE WINTER!

mikieboyblue 12-20-2007 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by KTLane (Post 154947)
I HATE WINTER!

Then why did you buy a HYBRID? :omg:

Just kidding....

KTLane 12-20-2007 01:55 PM

hating winter is independent of my hybrid... I hated winter when I had a 4 wheel drive vehicle too :) In fact, I've hated it ever since I stopped getting snow days!

McGyver 12-21-2007 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by KTLane (Post 154925)
Going to the airport :shade: I'm heading to Atlanta to take a test to become an Air Traffic Controller.

OMG! Sorry to threadjack, but I took that ATC test too many years ago when I was 19. I hope you studied a bit. I went in under the notion that this test was simply to evaluate ones innate ability with logic and deductive reasoning, where one really can't "study-up".

It is kind of like that... but they use very ATC-like icons, symbols and imagery that most of us have never seen before and they ask you to make sense of the situation.

I did poorly on that test. And I normally do quite well challenging tests.

Do you have MIL/ATC experience?

rmorrow 12-21-2007 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by chestr (Post 154946)
Hey some of us are in Boston full-time! ;) And it just keeps snowing and snowing... Just glad I'm not in Maine at the moment. Hope driving up for Christmas it'll be clear going!

Whereabouts in Boston? I'll be staying in Brookline.

KTLane 12-21-2007 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by McGyver (Post 155063)
Do you have MIL/ATC experience?

No, none.

I did take the ASVABs (I was 19 too!) and I got a 98 on them. I haven't really studied, as I've read there's no "real" study guide, but I've looked over sample test questions. Nothing seems too horribly difficult? I'm kind of weird though, I read books about aircraft and air transportation, so I know just what I've read. My major in college was meteorology, but I was more interested in aviation. I hope I pass, I'm spending 25,000 frequent flyer miles to get down there!!! :shade:

KTLane 12-21-2007 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 155071)

When I get back on the 28th I'm going to be like right near you then! I'm visiting my friend who lives across from Brigham & Women's hospital!

chestr 12-21-2007 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 155071)

I'm Somerville-y myself. Across the river, close to Harvard Square really...

rmorrow 12-21-2007 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by KTLane (Post 155075)
When I get back on the 28th I'm going to be like right near you then! I'm visiting my friend who lives across from Brigham & Women's hospital!

Well, look for a silver TCH with Ontario plates, around the Marriot Courtyard Boston Brookline (Beacon and Harvard) - chances are it'll be me.

rmorrow 12-21-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by chestr (Post 155102)
I'm Somerville-y myself. Across the river, close to Harvard Square really...

Good chance I'll be around there on the 28th as well.

KTLane 12-21-2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 155125)
Well, look for a silver TCH with Ontario plates, around the Marriot Courtyard Boston Brookline (Beacon and Harvard) - chances are it'll be me.

if you see a suspicious looking gray TCH with NY plates parked a few cars away from yours, that'll be me :P

Fastforward 12-22-2007 04:18 PM

I have run Nokians on all my cars (Acura and Jeep) and now the TCH. I use the Nokian WR's and they do great in the snow and ice and do very well in the off-winter periods. I live in upstate New York. No excessive wear and the mileage has been very good. I took the TCH down to Texas over the summer (2000 miles each way) and on the highway, the TCH averaged 39-42 mpg. I run the tires at 35 psi, rotate them every 5000-6000 miles and balance them once a year. The WR's are all seasons tires, but are rated for the winter (has the 'snow flake and mountain' emblem). Have fun in Boston.

KTLane 12-22-2007 05:40 PM

I just got the tires put on today and immediately had to go try em out. For the first time ever I made it out of my driveway!!!! I can't wait for it to snow for real again so I can see how good they are on snowy roads!

fastforward - what part of upstate ny?

Gairwyn 12-22-2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by KTLane (Post 155244)
I just got the tires put on today and immediately had to go try em out. For the first time ever I made it out of my driveway!!!! I can't wait for it to snow for real again so I can see how good they are on snowy roads!

Yay! I hope you have a safe trip, and good luck on your exam.

KTLane 12-22-2007 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gairwyn (Post 155251)
Yay! I hope you have a safe trip, and good luck on your exam.

Thank you very much!!!

PS I like your signature... I say that at work sometimes and for christmas my friend bought me a tshirt from thinkgeek that says it. It makes me giggle, even though I'm not entirely sure where I heard it the first time.

Gairwyn 12-22-2007 06:23 PM

Haha...I found the saying on a t-shirt in a catalog I was reading. ;)

Fastforward 12-22-2007 07:01 PM

Glad that you love your tires. Nokians are a good brand of tires. I am in the Albany area.

rmorrow 01-03-2008 05:40 AM

Katie, missed you in Boston! How did your exam go?

KTLane 01-03-2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 156285)
Katie, missed you in Boston! How did your exam go?

Hi!

I just got the results today, a "disappointing" 88.3. I thought I did much worse, but I hoped to do better. I only needed a 70 to pass though!!! Now I have to start applying places...