Oh well!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: Oh well!

Originally Posted by haroldo
Do the fleet mileage figures account for the spinning of thousands of wheels of cars stuck in the snow and ice?
No, I think their traditional concerns are only that the tires are cheap and readily available. Today, add low rolling resistance to their criteria.

It's no surprise that OEM tires often suck like a fox.

What bothers me about my old car is that there were plenty of opportunities to replace the OEM tires over the years but Toyota dealers only stocked the OEMs so they kept getting replaced with the same. I can't in good conscience sell the car with those tires on them. But it's hard to explain to a potential buyer that they really should get a set of snow tires right now and save the OEM tires for dryer weather and then replace them with better all-season tires after they're worn out.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 AM
blahhhhhh!

Do the fleet mileage figures account for the spinning of thousands of wheels of cars stuck in the snow and ice?
right? and the gas of the giant trucks that have to come to pull you out?!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My friend used his Cooper Mini, 40 MPG, to push my Camry 0 MPS (snowstorm)

(okay, that's an exaggeration and probably not funny)

Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Well in this car you really have no choice since you cannot rock all that well. In fact, I thought the car does this for a few reasons one of which is to mimic a rocking?
Exactly, what else would you suggest I do?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 AM
blahhhhhh!

My friend used his Cooper Mini, 40 MPG, to push my Camry 0 MPS (snowstorm)

(okay, that's an exaggeration and probably not funny)

That's kind of sad! This last time I got stuck, my boyfriend tried to use his truck (F150, v8, 4wd) to get me unstuck, but in the process he got stuck as well. So my step dad had to come up with his Tacoma (4 cyl, 4wd) to pull him out. Yeah, he got him unstuck... so unstuck, in fact, that he smashed the front end of my dad's Tacoma because his brakes locked up. and not an hour before that he'd been criticizing me for getting my car stuck. psshhhh!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 AM

...and I went it to a skid backing down the steep and icy driveway.
In the 33 years since I got my license, this, unquestionably, is the worst performing car (in winter condition) I've ever driven.
Please don't apologize for the car, it's great under certain conditions, but the same driveway that put my Camry to shame was conquered easily by other cars.
I love the car, but for winter driving, I grade it an "F".

The weather will be the same today and as a test, I will try the 96 Avalon on the same driveway tonight. I will report back on how well it performs.
I won't apologize for the car, but then I don't need to. My experience has been that the performance on slippery surfaces (even uphills) is absolutely outstanding. The past few days, I have been regularly driving through conditions that many other cars around me are having serious difficulty with. I do have good winter tires, and that may well be a contributing factor, but then it should be. I have always maintained that tires make all the difference.
I really have a lot of difficulty reconciling your experience with mine. I grade it an easy A+.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
I won't apologize for the car, but then I don't need to. My experience has been that the performance on slippery surfaces (even uphills) is absolutely outstanding. The past few days, I have been regularly driving through conditions that many other cars around me are having serious difficulty with. I do have good winter tires, and that may well be a contributing factor, but then it should be. I have always maintained that tires make all the difference.
I really have a lot of difficulty reconciling your experience with mine. I grade it an easy A+.
I agree 100%, I have been thru 1 complete winter and a good start on another and have played on a frozen lake with this car and find with the combination of B mode and skid control it works 100%. You must have all of the state of NY spitting in the snow causing it to be more slippery than snow in other states lol!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 PM

I have complained several times now about the tires (Michelin's) on my TCH, since they seem to have poor wet traction and snow/ice traction. I don't place any blame whatsoever on my car - it all comes down to the tires.

But I am still too cheap to buy decent winter tires and cheapo rims for winter use.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by Squint
There's no advantage to using B gear and several disadvantages including the fact that it only brakes using your front wheels which encourages the car to yaw or fishtail.
This is completely wrong. With all of the braking force on the front tires, the car is least likely to yaw or fishtail.

To easily demonstrate this, take a matchbox or similar toy car and let it roll down an incline. The incline should be steep enough so that the car will descend even if two of the wheels are locked up. Now put tape on either the front wheels or the rear wheels. Regardless of how the car starts down the incline (forwards, backwards, or sideways), and regardless of whether the front or rear tires are the sliding tires, shortly after the car starts its journey down the incline, it will end up going pretty much straight down without yaw or fishtailing, and with the locked wheels LEADING.

In a real car, this can be less true when there is more weight in the rear (all cars have more weight in front weight - ignoring excessively loaded trunks) or when the driver is doing stupid things with the steering wheel, or when the rear wheels are badly out of alignment.

-- Alan

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Malcontent

http://books.google.com/books?id=YWh...iG60vP2TNE9D5E
The car is pulled along by the front wheels, which makes it easier to get moving in slipper conditions, such as mud or snow.

However, there is a negative side to this feature. When decelerating, all of the engine's braking power, called torque braking, is applied to the front wheels of a car that is already nose-heavy by design. The engine braking causes a pushing action at the front end, which causes the rear of the car to slip sideways and go into a skid quite easily.

Quick Reply: Oh well!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands