Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter - Tight!

LOL!
Touche!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Not to hijiack the thread but how much do you guys figure you save by changing your own oil?
On my car? Maybe $5 a change. The big savings is the time. I can go out to my car and be done in less than 30 minutes. Driving to my dealer takes that long. I don't trust the nearby quickie change places.

I really started doing it for my motorcycle where I have to drop the bike off for a minimum of an hour, if not overnight, and it costs $40 for two quarts of oil and filter.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 PM

Not to hijiack the thread but how much do you guys figure you save by changing your own oil?
If I took the stock oil change from a local shop or the dealer, that is did not request synthetic 0-20w, I lose money on the deal. Most places around here charge <$30 for dino oil and a filter. Since I want the synthetic I buy my own -- filter too. If I took this to a shop it would cost me $20 for them to do it. The parts alone cost me about $40 ($30ish for the oil).

But, as mentioned, I know it was done right, I got what I wanted, and it was done in a shorter period of time.

Mike

Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

About $1.89, that's what a roll of Maalox tablets costs. Having worked in a higher end dealership, I've seen all the cute little corner cutting and I've seen simple tasks like oil changes get completely out of control.

Yeah, and the guy changing your oil... he's not always one of the Top Gun, factory trained mechanics. He is a green hand, or worse, one of the lot boys who hopes to grow up and be a technician one day.

Helen Keller could change the oil in these cars, it's embarrassingly easy. 10 minute driveway job.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 PM

I keep two 2x6's of lumber cut to about 15" long. I place the boards where I can drive the front wheels up on them. That gives me enough room to change the oil and filter.
I start the engine to check for any leaks. After it's sit for a hour, I recheck it a few times over two days to see if the level looks ok. It looks like 4 1/4 quarts of oil does the trick. I'm using mobil one 0W-20 synthetic oil with the oem toyota filter.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-02-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Changed my oil last night for the first time in the TCH. Didn't have any problem getting the original filter off. Used an end cap style wrench.

Replaced with Toyota filter and Mobil1 0W-20.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I use the end cap wrench as well on my other cars and it works like a charm. Can't wait to see how the Camry is at the first oil change. Will also install the Fumoto drain valve at the same time to make it easier in the future for the oil changes.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:00 AM

My end cap wrench fits so tight I have trouble removing the old filter from it. Filter came off the car easily, and the drain plug was not bad either. I jacked the car up in the center on the front end to assist in clearance.

I thought about installing a Fumoto valve, keep us posted on how it works. I know it has been tested, however, I do worry about something hitting it and causing a problem. Freak things happen you know. I didn't notice a drain plug gasket on the car, so I didn't replace the plug with one. No leaks, guess all is well.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:14 AM

My end cap wrench fits so tight I have trouble removing the old filter from it. Filter came off the car easily, and the drain plug was not bad either. I jacked the car up in the center on the front end to assist in clearance.

I thought about installing a Fumoto valve, keep us posted on how it works. I know it has been tested, however, I do worry about something hitting it and causing a problem. Freak things happen you know. I didn't notice a drain plug gasket on the car, so I didn't replace the plug with one. No leaks, guess all is well.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer

I have the Fumoto value. It has been through about 8,000 miles and one oil change using it (installed at my first oil change).

I have experienced no problems with it and it has not opened on its own. In fact I doubt it could, because you have to push the lever up and then slide (or is pull down then slide...?), either way, I don't there are many things that could hit it just right.

I have two comments about the valve. First, when installed, make sure it is tight. I noticed a small drip around mine (never really dripped but formed) so I tightened it. If it is still a little drippy at the next oil change I will reinstall it with a new gasket. Second, the oil drains MUCH slower and I never sure if I am getting out "all" the oil. Also, if you take your car to a quick lube shop, they will be most unhappy (and probably had never seen the valve used before).

Otherwise, it keeps you clean...now if I could only get the filter off without making a mess.

Mike

Quick Reply: Oil filter - Tight!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands