Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

I have an 07 with 27,000 miles. No chips or dings, nada. Parked the car last night under cover. This morning there was a 12" stress crack from the left side post, half way down/up. Double checked the area: no chips. This is mind boggling! I'll see what the dealer says before going to the insurance co.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

Have 11k miles on my 2007 TCH and no cracks, chips, dings in my windshield yet!!! *knocking on wood like cra-a-a-a-a-a-azy here*

Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

I just got a crack in my windshield and nothing hit the **** thing! I am so pissed about this. Oh, the best part was the quote from the So Cal Toyota dealer....$1,200!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Take pictures - close up of the crack and its origination point.
If it is in the middle of the window - you likely had some sort of rock/impact hit.

However, if it starts at a corner (particularly lower) and extends into the windshield, it is likely due to frame torque or a defect.

My dealer initially told me I had to pay for it, and when I protested and said - how could a rock hit it from the lower corner - they relented and covered under warranty.

Some dealers farm out the windshield replacement to a third party, but for warranty - you should get original equipment. Third party windshield companies will not use Toyota special windshield for the Camry hybrid - which has some special sound dampening qualities... so make sure you get the original equipment - particularly if you are paying for it.

Be a knowledgeable, assertive consumer. And - if you have to pay for it - remember your insurance will likely cover a good chunk.
Good Luck

Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

"Third party windshield companies will not use Toyota special windshield for the Camry hybrid - which has some special sound dampening qualities... so make sure you get the original equipment - particularly if you are paying for it."

Small nit-pinking comment re "will not use": The trick is to insist that the third party look up the hybrid glass. It is available, but you have to make them pay attention or they'll just quote you the regular Camry glass. It can be done. My replacement cost me $525 rather than the dealers $1200. Regular glass was ~$300.

Regards.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

2 years of great service. No glass breakage but lots of paint problems

Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for clarification - my comments were hasty and not well chosen. When I did my checking - three companies all said they had glass for the car in stock, and when I asked if it was the special sound-dampining glass, they seemed ignorant. When I asked them to check, they indicated it was not: 1) toyota brand; 2) the special sound-dampening glass specified/installed standard for the hybrid. When I asked if they could get it - I universally received: 1) yes; 2) we'll have to order; 3) it could take 1-5 days to come in. It was clear that these were high-volume/low margin installers and that it was somewhat of a bother - but all said they could do this for me and for less than the dealer. Fortunately, the dealer covered under warranty. I've had windshields replaced by these same companies on other cars - with good luck and value. My point was intended to convey: 1) know the glass is different on the camry hybrid; 2) there are standard windows that don't offer the alleged benefits; 3) if you don't ask - you may not get; 4) be an informed consumer.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 12" long crack around the rear view mirror that appeared overnight at 2300 miles. There is a small rock chip visible and was probably the source, but it is REALLY small. There's obviously something wrong to make a crack run that fast in a mild climate (Seattle in July) from that small of an initiation site.
I'm not looking forward to paying $500 or $1000 to get a brand new car fixed.

This is the first car I've ever had that did this. SUCKS

Otherwise, I love the car.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

I am not a HyCam owner yet, but I have put five windshields in my 07 Nitro. I am thankfull that I have glass coverage. I think we all no matter what we drive are having the same trouble.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A rock "starred" my windshield today in the lower right corner. Sounded like a loud slap, it was so loud it scared me. The wife saw it coming, but it was to fast to say anything. Probably about the size of a nickel.

Suggestions on a reputable shop to possibly fix it properly in Indianapolis? I assume it can be fixed instead of replaced, I've never had to have a windshield fixed or replaced. Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands