portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

I ripped the Honeywell GPS out of my Gulfstream Jet and it works perfectly in my '07 Camry Hybrid.

Last edited by schmidtj; 01-24-2007 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Qslugs
so are you guys stating that portable GPS in general dont work in hybrid cars? Or particular configurations with specific models?

I am totally new to the hybrid things and havent heard anything about this yet.

I have a garmin 60c and was assuming that I could use it in the car. Anyone know if I will have issues using this model in the THC?

haha, good one. no. hybrid has nothing to do with it. has to do with construction of windows and what they put into the glass, or on it (film). it appears that it's working for those that have sunroofs in their car, this piece of glass probably lacks the film or materials found in the windshield which allows a signal to get through.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Malcontent

I got my Garmin Nuvi 660 today and it has no problems with reception. As I may have mentioned before, I have no sunroof.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would like to revisit this topic. I got a Garmin Nuvi 750 just over a month ago. I took it on several trips and the reception was very good. Recently, I've had more occasions to use it after dark, and I've run into many more problems. Sometimes it has taken 20 minutes to find the satellites. Has anybody run into more issues at night? It may just be that my unit is starting to develop problems.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Interesting....as I recently made a trip (by plane and rental car) to the N. VA and DC areas, and my Garmin 200W (bought for rental car use) had a very difficult time finding satellites there. Day or night. I have had no problems anywhere else I have traveled!

added: I had used the garmin in my TCH for a few weeks prior to the trip to get familiar with it, and had no issues with reception in the TCH in AZ or Nevada, or CA

Last edited by jbollt; 08-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have one of the Garmins. I don't remember which exact model it is but I know it is one of the more expensive ones...

We just back from a trip from the Bay Area to OR and WA and had no problems with using it. In fact we even had it in the front area angled toward the driver just beneath the AC controls. We lost reception once in a deep canyon in WA state up near Mt. Rainier and I have no sunroof.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

My husband doesn't have the camry, I do - but we've used his GPS in both of our cars with no problem. It's a Nuvi 660. My husband does say that the unit gets the signal faster if you sit in the car a bit and let it lock on to some satellites before you go driving. You might try that and see if you get a different result.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and have had no problems so far. We put it on the dash, in the cup holder between the seats, in our lap, on the passenger seat, in the cubby under the radio that has the swing up door. We have 20% hybrid tint on our windows, no sun roof.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and have had no problems at all. As stated earlier, I always start the Nuvi and let it find the sats prior to starting the TCH and driving away. This normally only takes a few seconds after the "agree" screen.

John

Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Engineering Professor

My Nuvi360 (also sirf3) works fine in my Prius. Do your GPS units have a modern, high sensitivity receiver like the sirf3? If not they will be iffy. I had a GPS unit for my PC that didn't work reliably in my Prius and returned it.

JeffD

Quick Reply: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands