Portable GPS mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Portable GPS mounting

I've got a old Garmin attached to Proclip Angled Mount (see http://www.proclipusa.com) via a glued on Garmin Vehicle Mount. It's pretty easy to remove the GPS, though the angled mount stays on all the time. Maybe you can use some of those parts to work for your situation?

Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

An update:

I tried the PSM (Plexiglass Sheet Mount). I cut out a piece of Lexan, from Home Depot, that exactly matched the size of the cubby-hole. I then put 6 little plastic feet on the bottom of the sheet, and used the suction cup to mount the Garmin.

The suction cup adheres well to the Lexan. Reception however is nil in the cubby-hole, so I just grab the sheet and pull it forward until just short of the shift ****. This improves the reception, but I only get about half signal strength (because there is still a good chunk of car above it), and the updates to the GPS's position are somewhat infrequent. The convenience is great...since I can just push it back in when I park, and close the lid on the cubby-hole.

But, in the interest of science, I have just moved on to the PBJM (Peanut Butter Jar Mount). By foraging through the pantry, I have discovered that an 18oz Peter Pan (crunchy, of course) plastic jar fits the TCH cup holder nicely, the lid is very smooth for the suction cup, and the lid is exactly the right size for the Garmin suction cup.

I have just "installed" the PBJM, so will report back after some use. If it gets too wobbly, I will fill with some ballast, such as sand.

If my tight-wad solutions don't work, I will consider breaking down and spending 30-something bucks for a boring mount that actually works.

Last edited by abward; 12-29-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Santa brought me a Garmin Nuvi 350 for Xmas and I've had no problems with reception in my TCH. It's very fast and EXTREMELY accurate. But I keep it on the dash since any other spot draws my eyes from the road. Are you sure you want to mount your gps unit low on the dash?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Al Froio - Yeah, I know, it is pretty low, and takes your eyes off the road probably too much. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and use a bean bag on the dash, or mount it on the windscreen.

I was just trying to avoid it getting stolen, in case I forget to put it away when I park somewhere.

In reality, after the novelty wears off, I suspect I will only use it when I actually need to find somewhere, which is not very often, so a dash or windscreen solution is not too bad.

Do you use a bean bag mount on your dash? Does it stay put?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Al Froio
Santa brought me a Garmin Nuvi 350 for Xmas and I've had no problems with reception in my TCH. It's very fast and EXTREMELY accurate. But I keep it on the dash since any other spot draws my eyes from the road. Are you sure you want to mount your gps unit low on the dash?
I've driven for years with a Garmin (from GPS v to iQue 3600, to GPS 10 and Mobile 10x) and have had it mounted just below the horizon of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. I found it very comfortable at position personally.

As a littel comparison the the Camry Hybrid nav to the Garmin Mobile 10, the Garmin 10 wins hands down in my book. The plus for the Hybrid nav is that it is built in and it looks good. I like it very much, but am a little spoiled of what the Garmin has to offer over the one built in.

If I had not used a Garmin before, I am sure I would say that the built in nav system is the best with no flaws. It is a pretty good unit just compariing it to itself. It does route correctly with no hicups. One thing I would like to see though, is for it to continue displaying your location when a phone call comes in. Oh, well.... I digress.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Owner

I had used a Garmin GPS 72 in my 1996 Camry V6 without any problems. When I moved it into my new TCH it was continuously losing lock. I traced it to the car’s electrical system. I’ve solved the problem with a Garmin GPS 76 and an external antenna.

I made my own mount by taking a notepad holder with two suction cups and attaching a cell phone mount to it.

Here’s a commercial version.

http://www.ram-mount.com/ramgps.htm

Old 01-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
Al Froio - Yeah, I know, it is pretty low, and takes your eyes off the road probably too much. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and use a bean bag on the dash, or mount it on the windscreen.

I was just trying to avoid it getting stolen, in case I forget to put it away when I park somewhere.

In reality, after the novelty wears off, I suspect I will only use it when I actually need to find somewhere, which is not very often, so a dash or windscreen solution is not too bad.

Do you use a bean bag mount on your dash? Does it stay put?
i use the standard window mount and it seems best for my needs.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

I got a magellan roadmate 700, and a problem on the tch antenna shield. So I bought an external antenna which is okay now.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Follow up on my magellan roadmate external antenna. I just put the external antenna on the front of the sunroof. I'll will put it permanently during the summer month, in the rear.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Malcontent

I just ordered a Proclip mounting system for my Garmin Nuvi 660. The suction cup mount was unsticking from the windshield. Then the GPS would bounce off the steering wheel and hit me in the groin.

Quick Reply: Portable GPS mounting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands