Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Question about the Remote Starter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/question-about-remote-starter-7612/)

mak 05-29-2006 09:40 PM

Question about the Remote Starter

What's the point for this function? So you start the engine but then once you unlock the door to get in the engine stops and you have to start it up again from the inside. Am I missing something here?

Lilarienne 05-30-2006 03:19 AM

Re: Question about the Remote Starter

I am not sure, but yesterday when we were putting in our order our dealership said that Remote Starter was NOT an option for this car.

Ladybug 05-30-2006 06:21 AM

It depends on where you live. Here in Canada, this is a very important function in the winter time. It allows you to start your car in advance so that the engine can warm up and also so that your car can warm up which makes it easier to scrape the ice and snow off of it.

The other option if you don't have it is that you put your coat, hat, boots and gloves on, go outside and start your car, leaving your car running with the keys in it which makes it easier to get stolen right in your driveway, go back inside take your coat, hat, boots and gloves off, have breakfast then put your coat, hat, boots and gloves back on, go outside and hope that your car hasn't been stolen by now, clean the snow off of it which comes off easier now because the car is warm and then you get into a car which isn't freezing cold because it had time to warm up and thus your drive to work is much more pleasant.
But if you live in California, I don't see why you would need this feature.

Lilarienne 05-30-2006 06:45 AM

Does anyone know if the remote starter is actually an option? I got the impression that it isn't an option. And, I live in Connecticut, where it is an option on many cars, and people go out and pay to have it added after-the-fact to their cars.

rodsouza 05-30-2006 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
Does anyone know if the remote starter is actually an option? I got the impression that it isn't an option. And, I live in Connecticut, where it is an option on many cars, and people go out and pay to have it added after-the-fact to their cars.

When we bought our TCH, we were told that because our car came with the options we wanted, which was Leather, Moon Roof, Navigation System, that Toyota factory automatically adds the $595 Remote Start option. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I didn’t want this option because it doesn’t get that cold or warm here to make this option worth $595. I don’t know if the dealer was giving us BS or not, but if I wanted the car I had to go for it, otherwise it would have gone to the next person right behind us. We feel lucky that we were able to get the color we wanted with the features we wanted, with the exception of the Remote Start, and not have to wait for months to get it. We had talked to 2 other Toyota dealers in our area and they had waiting lists that were 4+ months, so when we saw this deal, we jumped on it. We love our TCH and feel that the $595 extra we had to pay was OK because we got our car NOW. I still don’t like being “taken” if the Remote Start option is not a required option, but I don’t know if it is or not. Does anyone know if it is a required option if you get leather, moon roof & the navigation system? Just wondering…

mak 05-30-2006 06:12 PM

That's the thing with my car too, it was already an added option to the package I wanted. I am definitely happy with the car so far and I hope to enjoy this car for many years to come. But I do have to admit it does "wow" your friends lol.

Sammi 06-01-2006 09:22 PM

I was offered a Hybrid Camry today with all the options....plus the remote starter from Penske Toyota in Downey, CA near Los Angeles. I am not sure what I'd do with the remote starter near Los Angeles.......but the dealer their insisted that all of their hybrids came with him. That would be unusual as no other dealer in the area has told me that. I passed on the car.......but if someone else wants a TCH and doesn't mind paying for the remote starter, give them a call. I'm waiting for the options I actually want and will use. We'll see how long I end up waiting......

Lilarienne 06-02-2006 04:16 AM

I really think it's odd that some dealers are sort of forcing these "options" and "accessories" onto buyers. When we met with the "ordering" person she brought out the book and started out by saying that there really aren't many options or extras for the TCH. She showed us the usual things (wood grain stuff, different wheels, etc), but there wasn't any pressure for us to actually order them. And, if I remember correctly, they said that they would not put the remote starter in a TCH.

The only thing we decided we wanted were the exterior paint protection (since I don't like waxing my car), and VIN engraving on the glass (the state requires them to offer this as an option and it's not very much extra).

Burt Bochner 06-02-2006 06:56 AM

You're lucky, I've been to 10 agencies trying to find someone that knows about putting the remote start on the Camry Hybrid. Did they really tell you that they would put it on. I wanted to have the system that when you put it in reverse a reverse camera turns on so can see behind you. Everyone told me that it's not available on the TCH. Did anyone offer that to you? They also said that I couldn't get the beeping thing when you put in reverse. I wanted that because my wife has had neck surgery and she can't turn her head.

Burt Bochner 06-02-2006 07:08 AM

That's funny,
I I live in Southern California and I am in sales I call on areas forgets to be 120 degrees and I have been dreaming about having remote start. I bought the Toyota high Brid couple days ago. I was told the I can't get the remote start on theTHC. I wish there was someone you can take it off your car and send it to me. So far I really like my new car! I was really concerned about it having enough power. FYI , I took someone for ride the other night and they turned the courtesy lights on in the back seat I didn't notice that it was still on my left car. My wife was so excited that we got to car that she peaked out the front window to look at the card she said the lights are on. Well I came to find out by talking to Toyota that those lights are not automatic in your battery can be drained if you leave them on. Good luck with your new wheels!!

BB