Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Remove speed limitor in TCH? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/remove-speed-limitor-tch-21579/)

gvrv 04-23-2009 10:16 PM

Remove speed limitor in TCH?

Hello

This is my first post in this forum!
I have recently bought a Canadian 2008 TCH and exported it to Europe!
I have just received my toyota camry.

Since I live near Germay I use a lot the german autobahns where in some places there is no speed limit......

Is the car limited to 120 mph?? the car goes very fast to that speed, but not over it!

Is there any way to remove the speed limiter?

Thanks

rburt07 04-24-2009 01:38 AM

Re: Remove speed limitor in TCH?

You might try contacting Toyota in Germany and ask if the TCH speed governor can be moved up. This may be done on the cars ECU.

Be sure you check your tires speed rating, to see if they are designed for the faster speeds.

jdenenberg 04-24-2009 07:01 AM

The speed limiter is real (104 MPH limit in the Prius) and protects the HSD parts from exceeding their maximum RPM. One way to go faster is to put on larger tires so that your car thinks that it is going slower.

JeffD

mikieboyblue 04-24-2009 09:02 AM

Sweet... 120 mph legally! Woot! I wonder what MPG is like at that speed.

HyCAMBill 04-24-2009 07:45 PM

Did you try putting it in the B mode? I would start out at a slower speed with the B mode. Some features don't work in the B Mode like the cruise control.

JoeRemix 04-24-2009 07:48 PM

I'd imagine not that great, and talk about over-working a 4-cylinder engine! Honestly, if you're planning to travel at high speeds, you'd probably be better off in a German car (BMW or Audi) rather than a hybrid. Top Gear ran a test at high speeds, and I believe it was an M3, but the sports car outpaced (FE-wise) the hybrid (I believe a Prius) at high speeds, probably due to the fact the M3 was designed for high-speed performance, and the hybrid was not.

JoeRemix 04-24-2009 07:50 PM

Obviously, an M3 is much more expensive than the TCH. But something similar like a 128i or 135i is in the same price range. I've heard rave reviews of the 135i, I wouldn't mind taking it out for a spin on the autobahn! Not that I don't love my TCH, but for high speeds, I think I'd rather have a sportier car designed for it! TCH for FE, BMW for speed/performance/sporty handling.

HyCAMBill 04-24-2009 07:51 PM

I agree. I am not sure the engineers that designed the TCH had plans for it to be on the Autobahns. I am sure Haroldo will have something to say about that!

BOFH 04-24-2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoeRemix (Post 201869)
Top Gear ran a test at high speeds, and I believe it was an M3, but the sports car outpaced (FE-wise) the hybrid (I believe a Prius) at high speeds, probably due to the fact the M3 was designed for high-speed performance, and the hybrid was not.

I like Top Gear, a fun show BUT this bit on the Prius vs. the M3 was a farce. The premise was to run the Prius as hard as they could and have the M3 follow on a race track and see which car used less fuel. Since the Prius was run at full throttle the little 1.5l was run very hard. The M3 on the other hand hardly had to try to keep up so it used less fuel.

Overall, I don't think the Camry is built (handling and brakes) to handle those kinds of speeds. It's one thing to get a car to go in a straight line at high speed it's a completely different thing to keep it under control when something unexpected happens.

Frodo 04-26-2009 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by gvrv (Post 201820)
Hello

This is my first post in this forum!
I have recently bought a Canadian 2008 TCH and exported it to Europe!
I have just received my toyota camry.

Since I live near Germay I use a lot the german autobahns where in some places there is no speed limit......

Is the car limited to 120 mph?? the car goes very fast to that speed, but not over it!

Is there any way to remove the speed limiter?

Thanks

As others have stated, you are likely to have a bunch of problems (specifically MG1 overspeed) if you tried to exceed the factory governor. The TCH is a good car, but sustained high-speed operation is not in its high-priority design objectives. At that speed, fuel consumption, wear, brake capacity and handling safety are all likely to be at or beyond their limits of safety. For durability sake, I would not consider operating the TCH at any sustained speed over 100 MPH. Get used to staying in the right lane drafting the big rigs and enjoy FE double or triple (or more) the left lane rockets. :D