SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

Originally Posted by BOFH
The problem is unlikely due to your cool weather. For the last 2+ weeks its been -30 or so around here and I`ve had no issues with my TCH. Mileage has dropped from 40 to 22 (that`s what I get for living close to work ) but otherwise no issues at all.

4 degrees (when I woke up that morning) and 7-8 degrees is not COOL weather... it is below freezing.... I have never driven in that kind of weather, with any car, before. As I might need some anti-freeze, or to get the car maintenanced...

In regards to our weather, Around here, the weather has been up and down. We'll have 2 or 3 days of 25-35 degree weather, followed by a day of 45-65 degree weather, followed by 10-20 degree weather... and then all over again.

-Saturday it was 47 degrees but dropped to 30 that night.

-Sunday it was 30 degrees... but dropped to 9 degrees that night.

-Monday, it was 4 degrees in the morning, but rose to 24 degrees...

-Today, it is now 29 degrees with freezing rain, but the temperature will rise this afternoon... to between 36-40 degrees.

-Tommorrow it will be 60 degrees and rainy all day long...
-Friday and Saturday it will be mid to high 50's but start dropping back, on Saturday night.

THis is Global Warming... GOD did not say how he was going to make the weather abnormal, he just said that it would happen in the last days...

BTW... maybe because it was on at least 50 miles of highway, but my MPG was 30.00 in the freezing 8 degree temperatire...

I am averaging 33-35 mpg in the 30-40 degree weather.
On the days where the weather is warmer, I am averaging north of 35mpg... but I have not had the car long enough, and the weather has not gotten warm enough for me to tell.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

My reply was somewhat tongue in cheek regarding the temperature, but the core of what I said is still true. TCHs are more than capable at running in much colder temps than you have so it is not in and of itself a temperature issue.

Take it to the dealer to read the codes and go from there, it is under warranty after all.

Also I`d like to second the comment above, that with all the warning lights on, you should not have been going on a 60 mile trip. All those warnings are there to get you to stop before a small problem becomes a huge one.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOFH
My reply was somewhat tongue in cheek regarding the temperature, but the core of what I said is still true. TCHs are more than capable at running in much colder temps than you have so it is not in and of itself a temperature issue.

Take it to the dealer to read the codes and go from there, it is under warranty after all.

Also I`d like to second the comment above, that with all the warning lights on, you should not have been going on a 60 mile trip. All those warnings are there to get you to stop before a small problem becomes a huge one.

Sorry, there seems to be some confusion... I do apologize...

-The "Brake" warning light, since I have been driving the car (1 month, 2800 miles) has only came on Momentarily, twice.

-All of the warning lights did not come on until I pulled into my office... 60 miles later (ie,after I had first started driving). By the time I left for lunch, the warnings had cleared up. Only the "Brake" light came on, halfway through my trip. Remember, I started in Lexington, Ky, and midway through, on the other side of Frankfort, is when I noticed the "brake" light was on. Fuel tank was full also. That was the only light, until I pulled into my office. As SOON as I turned left, while coasting, on EV mode, into the parking light, the "Check VSC System" light came on... followed by the "beeping" followed by the ABS indicator, and then both the RED and Orange\Amber Exclaimation points. This was AFTER the 60 mile drive. It is very hard, in 8 degree temperature to turn around and go back or go to a dealership, at 7:00am in the morning. You have to go forward or backwards and your results will be the same. I chose to go to work.

-When I called the dealership, the one in Louisville (where I work)they told me to bring it in. The one in Lexington (where I live) informed me that they could not, and would not be able to do anything without the lights being on. Of course, the lights are no longer on and have not came on since yesterday morning. Most Dealerships want you to bring the car in, with the problem so that they can extract the error codes... if there are no problems... no error codes, and they feel like there is a waste of time. Being a Computer guy, my self, for a living, I sometimes wonder if they have "harddrive\memory" space and time stamps to save the codes... so that when they are "thrown" and then reset, the car retains memory of the "Who, what, when, and where" of an issue.

Last edited by phenderson; 12-23-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
old fart

Hi Phenderson if you call 887-4200 and ask to talk to Tim.He is the asst.service mgr. And a great guy,Im sure he will be able to answer all your questions and will be a great help to you.If not there ask for Kerrry Babcox.Tell them that duane walker sent you.They treat me like i own the place and will treat you the same way.
have a good christmas duane

Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duanerw
Hi Phenderson if you call 887-4200 and ask to talk to Tim.He is the asst.service mgr. And a great guy,Im sure he will be able to answer all your questions and will be a great help to you.If not there ask for Kerrry Babcox.Tell them that duane walker sent you.They treat me like i own the place and will treat you the same way.
now thats a great suggestion. Always better to check on it.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duanerw
Duane,

My good friend, what area code do I use? Is 502, 859, 888, or 800? Where is this dealership\service department located?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

looks like its Toyota on Nicholasville, area code 859.

http://www.toyotaonnicholasville.com/

Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by test54
looks like its Toyota on Nicholasville, area code 859.

http://www.toyotaonnicholasville.com/

Thanks Test54...

WoW, Duane, I thought I owned a lot of cars, especially brand new ones, but looks like you take the cake in that department... you got me beat, by a wide margine... there... 6 in 6 years? I did good with 3 in 6 years...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
old fart

My wife works at tmmk in Georgetown,ky and get a good discount plus with the rebates on my hybrids and being a good friend of the gen mgr at toyota on nicholasville i didnt pay much diff.on each car.
I have been at a lot of dealerships but the guys at Nicholasville are the best for me to deal with.When i walk through the door they all say hi.
My 07 and 08 camry hybrids were blue and i got hit twice with both of them,got mad with my 08 after the second hit and traded with 2,000 miles on it.Got a white one and have to knock on wood so far.nothing was serious just minor.I think they teach tailgating in drivers ed.here..when you see an accident here there are normaly three cars all following to close.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 PM

I would pull a CarFax on the "previously-owned" low mileage TCH. Temperature, in a normal functioning TCH should have no effect on the lights coming on ( I own a 2007 50th anniversary TCH and live in Northern New England, so this is based on experience). I am more concerned that this vehicle was "wacked" in the front end and repaired and some wire or sensor somewhere is chaffed or shorted. The cold weather may be a "trigger" due to contraction of metals, etc. I am a Toyota Service Manager and would not be the first "low-mileage pre-owned" vehicle that had been in an accident in it's previous life. Ask to see the records on the vehicle from the place you bought it. If it came from an auction, be weary...... very weary..... If they cannot give you the records, ask to speak with the original owner. I would be very interested on WHY they got rid of the vehicle with such low mileage.

Quick Reply: SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands