Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast
Default Re: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

The smell is normal adhesive off-gassing. Okay... I have bisque cloth on my TCH. The seats are adequate but lack thigh support and bottom cushioning is barely fair. On long trips, the seat bottom becomes hard and is not 100% comfortable. I can actually feel a small wire in the center of the seat bottom toward the front when I push down a bit. Not very reassuring. The cloth covering is not firmly attached to the foam underneath and wrinkles after even a short drive. Toyota did some cost-cutting here, sorry but true. I am 5'10" and normal weight. I'll probably show the SA on my 1st visit and get the normal spiel...blah...blah: no problem noted.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, I hope the smell will eventualy go away I have had the car since June and it still smells. It is not the typical new car smell I am use to. I have to do somthing about the seats my wife wants to trade it in. I am going to lose money one way or the other, I just have to figure out which will be less replace seats or trade in for a different model. We drive to much to ignore the seat comfort. I should not have to resort to seat chusions after spending the big bucks for the coveted Camry. J.F.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Wait a moment! Contact the service manager of the dealer and explain the problem. Show him/her the vehicle and ask to have a district manager (Toyota Corp.) inspect the car. Also contact toll-free Toyota CS and get a case# assigned to your issue. This will get the ball rolling! The squeeky wheel gets the oil.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Angry Re: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

I have the basic cloth interior in bisque. I find the seats are very comfortable except they are short in the seat area. I have short legs so it doesn't bother me. As far the smell goes, There is a smell but it is faint and smells like a mild glue or adhesive. It does take away from the new car smell. Thinking a moment here, could it be the carpet or padding or mats? They all have adhesives in them.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

So far it seems I am the only one who objects strongly to the seat's comfort. It may be that my seat indeed has a defect or some padding was left out. I will just have to complain harder to the dealer and compare mine to others to get to the bottom of the problem. Thanks, J.F.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:46 PM

No... actually I am a little bit unhappy too with the seat bottom comfort. The foam is not very dense or thick enough. Wait a bit longer for the smell to dissipate and make an appointment to talk to the service manager about the padding. Try some Febreeze... possibly. Yep, not one of Toyota's best quality seats.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Seat comfort is a very personal thing, but the odor seems a bit odd. I wonder if the car had seen any "unusual" conditions before your dealer sold it to you? Maybe the seats or floor got wet and some mold is developing? We also have the cloth interior, and my wife has a very sensitive nose, but we've not smelled anything funny from ours.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I felt something was not right when I picked up my car, new with only 2 miles on it and fresh from Jacksonville port. After your post it has become clear. It is a cloth TCH and does not have the new car smell. I have a cloth Accord 2000 and when I bought it new, it had a great new car smell that lasted a few months. The current car smells musty. Is it the adhesives used in the car? But it is not enough to make me return the car.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you! I will have to check where my car came from if it is Jacksonville we might be on to something. The smell is not enough reason to get rid of the car, but for my wife the seat is a much larger issue. I just fixed the rattle in the console, thanks to the great instructions posted #63. J.F.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Dazed and Confused

So are the USA cars born in a barn?

Quick Reply: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands