Sell the '07 - Buy the '09

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sell the '07 - Buy the '09

We are closing in on 4 months.
  • Gas mileage on the '09 seems to be a bit better than on the '07 at the same break-in point (about 6000 miles). The latest tankful is running about 42 on commuter driving without the AC on.
  • The car new is noticably quieter than the old one. The '07 had a noticable whine on deceleration/ braking. The new one is almost totally "stealth."
  • The '07 is still for sale at Carmax. They dropped the price another $400. It is now only $600 over what they paid us for the car ((4 months ago)). I suspect that part of the problem is one of pictures that are in their ad: http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car-...5864&zip=78753 . Look at picture 12 (Mileage display). I even called them to bring this to their attention, but they didn't change the picture. Their sales prevention team is out in full force!! Whatdayathink??
  • Oh yeah, as I posted in another thread, the price of the new ones at Fitzmall is now about $2K lower than I paid. However, I'm sure I would have lost more on the trade.
........so far, so good!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooters
We are closing in on 4 months.
  • Gas mileage on the '09 seems to be a bit better than on the '07 at the same break-in point (about 6000 miles). The latest tankful is running about 42 on commuter driving without the AC on.
  • The car new is noticably quieter than the old one. The '07 had a noticable whine on deceleration/ braking. The new one is almost totally "stealth."
  • The '07 is still for sale at Carmax. They dropped the price another $400. It is now only $600 over what they paid us for the car ((4 months ago)). I suspect that part of the problem is one of pictures that are in their ad: http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car-...5864&zip=78753 . Look at picture 12 (Mileage display). I even called them to bring this to their attention, but they didn't change the picture. Their sales prevention team is out in full force!! Whatdayathink??
  • Oh yeah, as I posted in another thread, the price of the new ones at Fitzmall is now about $2K lower than I paid. However, I'm sure I would have lost more on the trade.
........so far, so good!
Thanks for the update.
1) For the increase in your gas mileage, do you think that since you have a better "background" in driving the TCH, your gas mileage improved for the '09 at the same break in point as when you had your '07?
2) That picture is embarrassing that carmax posted of the MFD. (11MPG!!) They could have at least put it on the mode of the outside temp! haha

Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Just to add this -- since I live in Austin, Texas, like Scooters.

CarMax (South location) offered me $18,500 today for my '07 TCH (fully loaded, leather, navigation, sunroof, etc.), 32,300 miles, very clean exterior & interior.

Honda down the road offered $15,000. Haven't tried Toyota, but I doubt they would beat CarMax, even with the sales-tax offset figured in if I should buy where I trade in.

Just started to evaluate my options regarding either keeping the car a few more years and buying new tires (to replace the worn-out Bridgestones) and possibly getting an extended warranty before hitting 36,000 miles, or getting a newer TCH, or something else new or used.

Originally ordered my new TCH from factory (KY) from a local Toyota dealership to avoid all the Gulf States add-on crap for about MSRP. I will also explore the out-of-state option, but I don't think I want to go to that much trouble.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting thought on driving skill. I think the mileage is a bit (1-2 MPG) better on our '09 than the '07.

Ours was from the first few months built in Japan. I suspect they have learned a few things and made a few changes.

Our 07 looked as close to "factory" as you can get. I had just replaced the tires before Carmax "made me an offer that I coudn't refuse." It had leather and sunroof, but no nav. I suspect that, based on your report, Carmax would offer about $18K for mine today. That would be $4K less than in November.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

It looks like CarMax finally sold my 07 TCH. For those who don't want to read back, They bought it from me in mid-October, just as gas prices went down, for $22,000.

It took them 5 months, and 3 CarMax locations to sell it for $22,599.

It was a great car, someone should get a lot of good use out of it.
However, prices at www.fitzmall.com continue to drop. With the rebate, a comperable new car now goes for about $25,800. (JBL Sunroof, Leather no-nav).

If I was buying, I sure would take the new one with full warranty over the used one with 40,000. The price difference is only about $3,000!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just when I thought the saga was over......... It looks like the '07 didn't sell. It is now at Carmax in Houston. Sigh!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooters
Just when I thought the saga was over......... It looks like the '07 didn't sell. It is now at Carmax in Houston. Sigh!

Looks like they're trying to sell it at..... a $2 loss!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Now at $21,599- They are taking a $401 cash loss over my trade-in, plus all of their expenses.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Now down to $20,998. That is $1002 below what they gave me as a trade-in.

((BTW I see a lot of folks are still following this post. I don't want to add to the clutter, but will keep posting as long as there seems to be interest.))

Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Enthusiast

Just joined today after reading your posts. I live in Houston, and I've been having a difficult time getting any local Toyota dealers to sell me a TCH at what I think is a fair price. I completely understand your comments about Gulf States Toyota (distributor) and all the add-ons.

I came across FitzMall.com yesterday, and I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2009 TCH through them and having it shipped to Houston. I received several shipping quotes yesterday, and they averaged about $650 door to door. I'm a little nervous buying sight unseen, but the price difference (even with the shipping) seems too good to pass up.

Your experience with FitzMall has given me a certain level of comfort, so thanks for the information.

This will be my first experience with a hybrid, and I can't wait to get one.

Quick Reply: Sell the '07 - Buy the '09

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands