Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Side View Mirror Add-On (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/side-view-mirror-add-13756/)

abward 05-31-2007 04:28 AM

Re: Side View Mirror Add-On

MickeysPal,

I see that you attached them towards the inside of the mirror, as opposed to the outside. I am curious if you did any comparisons with placement locations.

In my previous car, I had round ones, and they were on the outside of the mirrors. I dont remember if I played around with location or not.

meerkat 05-31-2007 06:44 AM

Mine is the same location as MickeysPal and I found that works just fine. I tried to place it first in a few different spots and found that too far out gives me more of the lane I can already see with my periphrial vision. Having it on inside gives me from the side of my car to the area right next to my where my side vision begins. (does that make sense?)

It fit better on the lower portion of the mirror rather than the top, i thought.

HybridFan 05-31-2007 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman (Post 127055)
II notice that I still have a blind spot that I didn't have in my previous car. So I am considering a small extra mirror for the first time in 25 years of driving.

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 127077)
The mirror adjustment works well. But.... it doesn't take into account the other "NASCAR" drivers that want to hug your draft.

Folks, thanks for the great tips... I've tried the mirror adjustments and still notice blind spots.

Add me to the list of people seriously considering getting similar mirror add-ons soon!

MickeysPal 06-01-2007 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 127152)
Mine is the same location as MickeysPal and I found that works just fine. I tried to place it first in a few different spots and found that too far out gives me more of the lane I can already see with my periphrial vision. Having it on inside gives me from the side of my car to the area right next to my where my side vision begins. (does that make sense?)

It fit better on the lower portion of the mirror rather than the top, i thought.

Ditto... I also found the inside/bottom location to give me the the best results. Placing the add-on toward the outside, interferes too much with the side view mirror's normal field of vision.

turk 06-04-2007 10:28 AM

I really do miss the aspherical mirrors that were available on my Passat.

Basically, those mirrors have the far outside edge bent a bit, and makes for a broad view. Took a bit of getting used to, but once accustomed they worked nicely.

They're sometimes called non-planar mirrors. Studies show they're effective at preventing accidents (beyond just being useful).

Not seeing anything for the Camry, though. I do recall that the Passat's were produced for the European market (which I added subsequent to delivery).